Car Talk co-host has passed away.

wemtd

NPR continues to run "Best of Car Talks". Definitely an all-time favorite of mine. Cars were just an excuse for them to cut-up and laugh, tho they did know their stuff-as might be expected of two MIT grads working as mechanics.

I remember them once mentioning a lotus 7 to a caller looking for a bare-bones car. you can all guess the manner in which they recommended the se7en.

Their description was spot on: down to the detail that "we've all got the same screw loose" as has been said before on this forum.

Tom and Ray were always entertaining, even when they took their car examples to extremes. My son (living in Cambridge at the time) was on their show once, after he lost 5th gear in his Honda hatchback.

BTW, there is a gold-lettered window in a second-floor office on Harvard Square in Cambridge that says, "Dewey, Cheatham & Howe."

The thing that I now regret most is that Tom and Ray always dumped on Alaska and those who choose to live here, every time a caller from Alaska was on the show -- and we Alaskans never got the chance to have Tom and Ray come up to Alaska and visit, to really learn how (and why) we live here.