?Club Purchase of Scales Set Up?

Al N.

I haven't discussed this with Mazda or John V, but wanted to float something out there...

If we could rally enough people, perhaps the Club could purchase some Longacre scales for use by members.

We're always wondering abou weights and things, and if the club had a set (with the wide pads to accomodate a certain modified Rotus!) with ramps that packed into 1 or two of those foamed suitcases....then people could use them, and send them on.

Your out of pocket would be the total divided by the number of "sponsors"...then all you'd have to pay is postage mailing them back and forth to HQ or the next member who needs them.

Please chime in if you are interested, and what you think a fair "buy in" price might be...

I guestimate that a set of scales and ramps and "suitcases" would run between $1100 and $1500...maybe less if we can get Longacre or one of their distribs to become a club sponsor. Say we have 75 dues paying members...(between 777 and PNW and the few folks who were nice enough to support the club but not attend one of the "big" events....if each member paid another $20 to co-operatively own the scales...we'd have enough.

Just thinking out loud. I should reach out the Longacre folks this week. Any other thoughts?

It would be nice to have them for corner weighing.

An alternative would be to query the seven community to locate existing available scales, and see if we can secure their use for our members.

I'm worried that the cost of shipping would exceed the investment in the equipment pretty quickly.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/align6.htm

Computerscales - Economy

Longacre Racing Products - Scales

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/images/72585.jpg

"For Teams On A Tight Budget"

Uses the latest 12" x 12" 1100 lb capacity pads for lighter weight cars.

2 line display shows all 4 wheel weights and any % you want

* Comes with molded carrying case to protect electronics

* Crush resistant 18 ft red cables with heavy duty AN connectors

* 12" x 12" pads with HD 4 bolt load cells, 1/4% accuracy

* Battery and charger, 1 year limited warranty

Part No. 72583 - Now Only $998.00

bottom of page

I handled a set of scales earlier this week when Nathan at RMSCI did the setup and cornerweighting on my car. I would estimate each scale weighs about 15 lb. Roughly 60 lb for the scales, I'm guessing the electronics box weighs at least 10 lb, then add in some kind of shipping container and you are probably approaching 80 lb. Not very cheap to ship these days.

I have used three different sets of scales and all of them had a large wood box on wheels to move them around the shop.

I think if you look around your area, you will find some place that will corner weight your car very reasonably. The most I have paid is $50 for the cornerweighting, one shop has done if for free several times on my Miata.

It might work if there were enough people who live relatively close to each other where the scales could be passed from person to person without shipping.

I think we'd have enough folks on the East/Mid-Atlantic area to warrant a "fractional ownership" deal.

It would be nice to have, for big events....so we can have a "weigh-in" exercise...we tried to borrow a set, but it didn't happen.

As good as this sounds, we found here in the Detroit Region of SCCA that shipping the scales around and entrusting them to members who were not familiar with their use and care ended up being a real problem. Expensive damage and tardy shipping rendered them a liability in spite of our good intentions. We now only make them available at events and under the direction of a delegated "expert".

chuck

Chuck-

That's great to know...maybe if I can rally the "Army of the Potomac" (the Mid-Atlantic Se7eners), we can get a set for the USA7s club and bring them to the next big event. Thanks again for coming out to the Dragon...great to meet you and your wife.

-Al

Al-

When I used to crew for rally teams, we had a set of Longacre scales that we would travel with- although light weight, they turned out to be quite delicate- the plastic plugs broke off of the cables almost immediatly and the plastic computer and LCD took a beating as well- and we were careful with these. Since then we bought a set of Intercomp scales- they are heavy at 25lbs each, but they seem indestructable- and the computer is housed in metal not plastic, as are the connectors- I think they are some sort of "pit" series.

I do agree that shipping is going to get very expensive, and a bit risky with UPS.

Anybody who wants to make the drive to Montreal, I'd be happy to put your car up on the scales. Maybe I can bring them to Run N Gun- depending if I fly or drive there.

For those going to Run N Gun:

Special Wednesday

Want to realize the best performance from your vehicle? Wednesday, October 10, 2007 is the time to do it.

From 9:00 am to noon, a seminar will be conducted by Morris Clement (two time National Champion) on car set up and preparation. Scales will be available to weigh the balance set up on your car and suggestions for improvements to make. Work done on your car can be made by you and your crew and then it can be tested on actual conditions during the Wednesday afternoon practice test and tune.

This day is an entry only event and the cost is $100 for the day. Every Run 'N Gun participant should sign up for this day. The knowledge and experience gained by this will be invaluable.

__________________________-

see www.runngun.com for more details of the rest of the event, thursday thru Saturday

I'm willing to put $200.00 into a set that would stay in the D.C. area that could also be used at events. I agree that they would not last long if they were passed around between too many people.