1700 CC BDR Motor

craig chima

As there has been some discussion in the "Cars for Sale" section about a Caterham with BDR, I thought it would be good opportunity for me to post a really sweet running BDR that I've got in the shop for sale. It was in a Caterham that I built 5 or 6 years ago (Kitcat actually drove this car at one point), and has now been in a corner of my shop for the past year or so. It was originally built by Dave Bean in the late 70's, and has been rebuit a couple of times since then, most recently by Midwest Motorsports here in Ohio who has done all of my engine work for the past 15+ years and it has less than 3000 miles on it since that time. I did a leakdown test on it prior to removing it from the Caterham and numbers were between 2% and 4% on all cylinders so the motor is sealed up well and in great shape. It was broken in properly and always ran synthetic oil thereafter. It is an "all-steel" bottom end with fully counterweighted billet crank, Carillo rods, and Cosworth pistons. Compression is about 10.5:1 so it runs great on premium pump gas. It is fully dry sumped and includes the dry sump pump, alternator, electronic distributor, flywheel, heavy duty clutch, and complete exhaust system just as it ran in the Caterham and is on Weber DCOE 45's. Horsepower is conservatively between 180 and 185 and could easily go higher with more aggressive cams. With the quality of the bottom end pieces, this is easily a 10,000 rpm motor if someone chose to run it that high, but I had an 8500 rpm rev limiter in the car which was plenty for street or track purposes. The cost to build this motor today would be in excess of $20K and I'd previously advertised it for $15K but would now really like to get it sold and so am offering it for $12,500, complete with the exhaust. If someone is looking to upgrade your crossflow powered car to something that's dead reliable and an easy "interchange" this is a perfect option. Craig Chima, CC Motorsports, 330 807 0742 or chima97@aol.com. Akron, OH

As Craig notes, I did drive one of his Cats with this engine a while back. At the time i had an X-flow powered Cat and the jump in acceleration was startling. Since then I have owned more modern Duratec and Zetec engined se7ens and this BDR Cat was at least as fast (not to mention also having an amazing sound).

• 3 months later...

Bump with price reduction to $11,500 including the exhaust. I really need to sell this motor and at this price it is a steal for what is included for an "all steel" dry-sumped BDA/BDR. I have a dry sump tank that fits nicely in a Caterham that I'll also include if that helps sweeten the deal for anyone. Craig

Bump with price reduction to $11,500 including the exhaust. I really need to sell this motor and at this price it is a steal for what is included for an "all steel" dry-sumped BDA/BDR. I have a dry sump tank that fits nicely in a Caterham that I'll also include if that helps sweeten the deal for anyone. Craig

I'll echo Kitcat's comments in that when I swapped my 1700 super sprint (~130bhp)to a dry sump BDR (dyno @ 190bhp flywheel) the difference in driving was fun to say the least and above 7000rpm the sound is intoxicating. For anybody thinking about Craig's BDR. I started with a BDA and and had it rebuilt (with a new ford racing block) to the specification of Craig's and the rebuild alone cost more than Craig's asking price. With the exhaust and dry sump included the swap from Crossflow to BDR is very straightforward. For me the most difficult parts were mounting the oil cooler so that it didn't foul the nose and slightly trimming the passenger footwell to fit the dry sump tank, but even these were fairly straightforward fabrication jobs completed in a couple of half days.