Birkin ss3xs - New Build

Kink

Hello All,

I've been lurking for the last 7 months or so as I was building my Birkin XS. It is now complete (needs some fine tuning) and I thought I'd share a few photos.

IMG_20160605_175850320_HDR.jpgIMG_20160605_175938587_HDR.jpg

I'd also like to know if anyone has dimensions of the Caterham sill protectors. I'm not a fan of my side panels already and am looking for alternatives. The passeneger side doesn't fit all that well and has developed a small crack, that is bound to get larger.

Thanks for looking Gents.

Brad

Edited by Kink
Attempt to embed photos

Great looking build.....

I am also building an ss3xs in Houston with the absolutely fantastic support of Tom Carlin remotely from Eagle, Co. Where are you located?

Also, I really like the color of yours - do you have the color code?

Richard Hoffman

Thanks Richard. Tom has been great to work with for sure. Wealth of knowledge and acceptable to all my ridiculous questions.

Paint codes are: Lotus Elise B108 and B86

And where did you find those mirrors , beautiful job, great color

Bill

Thanks Bill. The mirrors are Spa F1. I have 2 convex lens and no rear view. Takes getting used to but the coverage is good.

First "racing stripe" I have seen that runs thru the passenger compartment! I think the side louvers on the engine bay are a new Birkin feature? The chrome exhaust sure beats the trusty rusty iron so many se7ens feature. Beautiful car!

Beautiful job. I'm building one in LA. How did you get the hood to fit so well?

That photo is before I even did any manipulation. I took a picture of all of the gaps I wanted to adjust with painters tape applied as reference, pulled the bonnet off, and gently (I mean gently) manipulated the curves while referencing the photos.

Thanks. I have the hood in the garage attic right now while I complete all of the detail work in the engine compartment. From what I can see, I might have a bit more to "finess" at the corners than you.

• 4 years later...

Hey Kink, are you still on here?

I am building an SS3XS also, and have a few questions. First, is that the standard roll bar or the taller one? Are those Advanti wheels? If so, what size are the rears? What would you change? What do you dislike? What do you like the most?

I am super excited to finally get started building a Birkin after talking about it for a decade. My car will be used primarily as a track car, but I will take it to the occasional car show.

edit: just found your for sale post :(

Edited by COTACAB

I finished mine in 2017. The 2.3 Duratec has proven to be one of the driest motors I have ever built. I finally got the transmission sealed as well. Unfortunately, it took several tries to get the O2 Sensor controller to function correctly. Innovate was quite helpful but things were complicated by their acquisition by Autometer and the subsequent relocation to Chicago ( from Costa Mesa, CA). Just finished an all aluminum boot and cover.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those look like Tillett’s: I replaced my sport seat with a Tillett B6 with edges trimmed (not the “Caterham cut”) this year. The seat is a tight fit in the car but I find it quite comfortable and it significantly lowers my body/head in the car. So far my only critique is discomfort driving with a helmet as I my head is pushed forward slightly: straining my neck. Hopefully this can be fixed by switching helmets. Until then I’m using extra padding behind my torso.