NJMP Member day 6/18

John B

I look forward to a full report of YellowSS's "other" Caterham, the fire breathing former Blubarisax Uber Cat, now that its overheating issues have been addressed and it has been re-tuned. Rumor has it that it made 250hp at the rear wheels on a conservative chassis dyno recently. Look out Storkers!

It was nice meeting you guys at NJMP last weekend.

Unfortunately, the engine in my Caterham didn't survive the track day. It was losing power and smoking on track. In the paddock it seemed compression was getting into the bottom end as it was puffing smoke out of the catch can breather. I suspect a piston failure, maybe a ring land collapsed. We called a flatbed to take it to our race shop in PA. The bad news is this means we won't make the 7's event at NJMP.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, so I'll probably send the engine to one of our Formula Atlantic engine builders. They build lots of 2.3 Duratecs for the later Swift 016 Formula Atlantics. I'll probably ask for a street spec Atlantic Engine with the barrel throttle, porting, crank, and oil pump that runs on 93 octane, maybe 12:1 instead of 14.5:1. It doesn't have to stay at 2.3 liters either, so maybe it can take a bigger bore and bigger valves. We'll see, but regardless it will come back stronger and faster.

Edited by John B

It was nice meeting you and your Son too John. Unfortunately it was a tough weekend for Duratec Caterhams, Dr. Doug's R500 suffered a major issue on the front straight on Sunday in the first session and dropped a ton of oil that required a big clean up. He's now out for the July event as well and will definitely be having his engine rebuilt too.

So sorry! Any theories as to the cause (oil starvation?)? In any event, your reaction is perfect.

No solid theories at the moment, although the prior owner did re-map it to get it running to his satisfaction on the street. I don't believe it was ever tracked before, so possibly it was too lean for extended full throttle action on the track, but that's just conjecture at this point.

My Zetec SVT suffered a power loss on the Lightening course at NJMP last year necessitating a rebuild. The best theory was the fuel pump was failing, causing the mixture to lean out, causing engine damage. Since I was on my 3rd fuel pump in a short while, it was determined that the "return-less" fueling system was not adequate and was causing my multiple premature fuel pump failures. This was confirmed when we dyno'd the car after the rebuild, but before the conversion to a return fuel system. That showed inadequate fuel and dangerously high AFR's.

So we ultimately converted it to a "return" system. And beefed up the fuel pump capacity, and added multiple fuel filters, and are in the process of now adding a fuel surge tank system. We also put in a nice big AFR gauge that allows me to visually monitor the AFR's under track stress. It has run well the 2 track days I have done since it was rebuilt, apart from fuel starvation in some corners, but it is still too soon to really know. I am also running 100 octane unleaded fuel per advice of the engine tuner, as a final safety measure.

Good luck with trouble shooting what can sometimes be a complicated and elusive problem.

Edited by Kitcat

speaking of problems.....

I have pulled the motor and T-9 and removed the pressure plate and clutch. It seems the pilot bearing disintegrated.

Does anyone have a good way to remove "seemingly frozen" flywheel bolts without an impact wrench?

My backup T-9 is due here Friday - all fresh and ready to install in time for NJMP.