Run N Gun is scheduled for Oct 11-13 2007 in St.Louis

powderbrake

Calling all Se7eners !!!!!

Run N Gun is a three day event for kit cars on Oct 11-13 at Gateway International Speedway in Madison IL, across the river from St.Louis, MO. For more details on Run N Gun, see www.runngun.com The course can be seen at http://www.gatewayraceway.com/

There are covered garages with electricity and air, and a friendly track staff that is interested in everyone having as much fun as possible. Last year the event supplied transponders, which allowed multiple cars on the track for their record time trials which went quickly. This gave more time for track sessions, and some cars got over 200 miles of track time on the road course, as there were about 45 cars at the event. Road course fun time is what makes this event so attractive.

:hurray:

Day one and half of day two is for running the road course, and there is an autocross on day two which is set up by the local SCCA on the track parking lot. Day three is drags on the dragstrip next to the road course. There is a group dinner at the track Friday night, which is covered by the entry fee.

There is an additional day on Wednesday for test and tune. "From 9:00 am to noon, a seminar will be conducted by Morris Clement (two time National Champion) on car set up and preparation. Scales will be available to weigh the balance set up on your car and suggestions for improvements to make. Work done on your car can be made by you and your crew and then it can be tested on actual conditions during the Wednesday afternoon practice test and tune. This day is an entry only event and the cost is $100 for the day."

Last year sevens took 1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 16th, 17th and 30th place overall on the road course. That included a Viking, Stalkers, and Ultralites. I hope to see some Lotuses,Caterhams, Birkins, Locosts, Westfields and Demans there this year. It's time to blow those Cobras into the weeds !!!!! :boxing:

I'm sending in my registration today for this year's Run N Gun. The fee is $425 if postmarked before 7/31. and $525 after that date.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in Jerry. We will get old mojo pieced back together again, retune the shocks throw same slicks at it and see if we can get int he 1.04 range. I think my fastest last year was a 1.09 and some change but slicks and a few more hoofs should get me down there. I better put more brake pads on too. That turn one is scary with bad brakes. Hope we have more 7s there than cobras. If so maybe a 7 will make it on the T shirts for a change.

Dino and I plan on attending this event. Looking forward to see you guys there, and thanks for letting us know when to register by before the price jump. :cheers: Who else is thinking about going to this event?

Quote: If so maybe a 7 will make it on the T shirts for a change.

I doubt if it will happen this year. This event has always been the property of the Cobra crew, but as you know, the sevens are really starting to get their attention.

While winning is fun, just the opportunity to get your car on the road course and drive the snot out of it is great fun. Finding out how fast you can push it around a corner is easy to do here. I should know, I have spun out each year, testing the limits of adhesion. I just do it when there is a lot of empty track behind me. and in the infield where there are no walls. I do not believe there has been a crash with damage to a car in the last 4 years that I have attended the event.

For those who may not have participated in a "track day" don't be intimidated by the hot shoe drivers. You can run at your own pace, and there is NO passing in the corners, and ONLY on the straights when you give a wave by to the overtaking car. You are not holding them up for a record time .... the time records are taken on an individual run basis. So bring your seven, and have fun.

Here's some pics from 2006

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/592296384_DSC_2907 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1535004672_DSC_2908 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1876427709_DSC_2917 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/2119131598_DSC_2929 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1331731996_DSC_3017 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/387323190_DSC_3042 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1929872675_DSC_3081 (Small).JPG

http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/upload/1264195725_DSC_3142 (Small).JPG

Man, I have watched coverage from this event for years. Kevin was egging me to join in this year when we were at VIR this past weekend. He even threatened to make fun of me on the internet if I did not come...maybe next year...

Oh come on Jeff. There may not be a next year. Take advantage of the moment. It is the most track time you can get for the money. Beleive me you will be saying. " Its my turn to go back out already?" Last year barely had time to put gas in the car. Last year I did 186 laps according to my data logger the tech session is really good. Plus we need as many sevens there as we can get. It really pisses the Cobra crowd off when we "bring full on race cars" as we were accused of last year. The garage tells the whole story. One end is all sevens the other end is all cobras, with a space in between. Its kind of like the little cars against the big cars. Of course I dont have to tell anyone here which cars held most of the fastest times.

Lets Rock N Roll boys.

Seth from Montreal will be there with the Stage II SR27, and Dan from Toronto will be there with his turbobusa powered Deman SR7, and of course the young guns Paul and I will be there with the Stage III SR27.

• 2 months later...

I went to the track today to drop off my car and get tech inspection. Today was a test and tune day, with a seminar on chassis set-up, and a set of scales so you could cornerweight your car, run the track to see if it helped, and repeat until you were satisfied.

There were 7 or 8 Stalkers, & 3 Ultralites, with more coming in tonight!!! It looks like there may be 15 to 20 se7ens there. They will be running in Street, Prepared and Pro, depending on their tires

Lots of Cobras, and some VERY RACY looking cars that I will have to ask someone What the heck are they?

Several large double decker 4 car tractor trailer combos. Big Bucks !!!

I believe this Run N Gun will be much larger than last year. I will report back with info in a couple days, and will include some pics ( forgot my camera today)

My good friend Chuck and Barbara Spera will have their XR7 Ultralite. Wish them luck and I hope to to hear good news from them.

After having a few strange bugs show at the local Auto-X last weekend. Turns out they placed us second to last in the fourth heat and we didnt have any time to make any true repairs before the end of the test runs at the end of the day. So we packed up and headed back to the shop to scratch our heads.

Chuck went through on Monday and Tuesday and made a few changes. I think we came up with a few possibilities and have address them as best as we could for the moment.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!!!

Tim

My good friend Chuck and Barbara Spera will have their XR7 Ultralite. Wish them luck and I hope to to hear good news from them.

After having a few strange bugs show at the local Auto-X last weekend. Turns out they placed us second to last in the fourth heat and we didnt have any time to make any true repairs before the end of the test runs at the end of the day. So we packed up and headed back to the shop to scratch our heads.

Chuck went through on Monday and Tuesday and made a few changes. I think we came up with a few possibilities and have address them as best as we could for the moment.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!!!

Tim

I think we got Chucks gremlin solved. He was booking in the last session today. About the only thing faster was a mongoose GTP car and a 1000hp Ultima. Dennis Bruton is flying in his stalker as are few others. They didnt have the last group times up yet so we will have to see what the official times is. But blue II was looking real good this afternoon. Loren

I think we got Chucks gremlin solved. He was booking in the last session today. About the only thing faster was a mongoose GTP car and a 1000hp Ultima. Dennis Bruton is flying in his stalker as are few others. They didnt have the last group times up yet so we will have to see what the official times is. But blue II was looking real good this afternoon. Loren

Loren: You only left the party about a hour ago.... :crazy: How did you get the post up so fast?:confused:

The Sevens party at my house was a lot of fun. :cheers: Ultralite and Stalker and Birkin and Caterham and Faux Ferrari owners all together in one party, drinking adult beverages and chowing down, and saying nice things about each other. Kinda sounds like the whole idea behind USA7s.com.:hurray:

Great day at the track today. The autocross was HUGE. Definitely a high horsepower autocross. set up and run very professionally by local SCCA guys.

The track sessions were very good. Street class ( in which I run) got one session stopped after two laps, due to a replica Austin Healy spinning into a wall, and the driver "got his bell rung". That stopped the session , and we moved on to the auto cross. The driver was taken by the ambulance to the hospital, and is OK. The Healy is a little dented, but in pretty good shape. I managed to log about 60 miles of track time. Tomorrow I expect to log 120 to 150 miles, as we will have lapping sessions all day.

We are running in four groups. Unlimited ( factory guys) and Pro ( cars on slicks) run together, then Prepared class ( tires with wear rating below 200) Then Street ( tires with wear ratings 200 and above), then Novice. (Novice may run with street tomorrow, in which case there will be only three groups)

Each group runs 15 to 20 minutes, while the next group stages, so you get on the track every 45 minutes for your lapping session. This will go on from 9 am to noon, an hour break, then 1 to 5 pm Lots and lots of track time :D They provide transponders, so every lap time is recorded. The fastest will get trophies Friday night at the banquet. Drag racing saturday, drag trophies and onerall Top Gun trophies Saturday afternoon.

John Shaloub got a new Ultralite delivered last Saturday. He lives in St.Louis, so he drove it to the track, and went on the racetrack for the first time today. It went great. He managed to find the limits of adhesion :eek: but that didn't bother him. You should see the grin on his face when he hits the V-Tec at 6000 rpm with his newly bulit 2.5 liter honda S2000 engine. That thing is a real beast ! :D :d

The SR27 guys got their car dialed in well and were having fun, Lots of Stalkers were in action and running very well.

More info tomorrow.... pictures eventually. I have to sort and resize then as I shot all of them in Hi Rez. It's late, I have to get up early to drive to the track for a 7:30 am drivers meeting.

Great to hear!!!!

I bet Chuck had a grin from ear to ear. It will most likely take several days for his face return to normal. :hurray:

Well from what I can tell I know that the car is going to be a top performer this year. With more and more seat time Chuck will be right with throwing that car around a track.

I think that next year he will be top of his game and you will be seeing a lot of trophies from Chuck.

Good Luck Loren and pass on a good word to Chuck and Barbie.

Tim

Thanks for the updates guys...try and post pix and vids when you can.

Reading this and seeing the little green seven sticker on Jon W.'s car in Martin's post on his visit makes me all nostalgic. The US Se7ens (inclduing USA7s) community seems like it's really getting some good traction/momentum.

Best of luck to all RnG participants.

UPDATE FROM CHUCK SPERA:

(Small quote from private email..)

Course was typical of this region Scca with many skid pad type

turns, a long slalom and a couple of longish straights. I led with FTD in

each run but on last run I ticked a cone and just knocked it out of the box

till standing. My second run was third fastest of the day anyway and gave

me third overall but first in class, nobody else even close. BTW, the co

drivers of the 1st and 2nd place (same car) are professional drivers.

Back on the race track I had some great runs, times still look good for me

with today to be devoted entirely to race course.

More later.

chuck