PALS Winter Stress Reliever - 03/04/17

rcollum

Every year, PALS, the Philadelphia Area Lotus Society hosts a get-together at Kyle Kaulback's place. It's always a big gathering of Lotus. Here are a few cars I think you'll like.

Who recognizes these models?

--Bob Collum

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3639-Edit.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

I recognize the Opel Omega. Differs from its Vauxhall Carlton cousin by the LHD. Absolutely bat-crazy transformation by Lotus. I drove Vauxhall one in the UK in 1995 and it it was astoundingly quick in the straight line - just breathtaking. I would love to own one again but I have enough cars. And anyway, I am currently recommissioning the earlier mid-80s Holden version of the Opel/Vauxhall (with Lotus input) - so it would be redundant.

I remember the Lotus bicycle, the Lotus 6 but what is special about the S4? Something looks different?

Edited by Croc

Didn't Chris Boardman set some sort of indoor track "hour" record with the Lotus bike? I remember that there was something special done with it. There is one displayed at Barber Motorsport Museum, as that is "also" a "bike" museum! We can refresh our memory at LOG 37 in a couple months....

Right you are! The Omega was, as I recall, the fastest 4-door in the world for about 10 years. Really nice - I know of three in the US. The Olympic bike was, I think, the 108. The 110 was the streetable equivalent. It was eventually outlawed as configured, because it was determined that the disc rear wheel could function as a sail, helping accelerate the rider. The Seven is a "Steele Brothers Seven", a separate licensing of the S4 to a small firm in New Zealand. The VIN plaque actually said Lotus and Steele Brothers on it. The engine is a Lotus 908. From what I've read, Steele Brothers only ever did 95 of the Sevens, and only a couple with the 908 engine.

Steele Brothers? Oh. There was one for sale on here in NJ by Ted for the longest time. They are remarkably common as they were so well built compared with the regular Lotus S4.

Edited by Croc