2004 Caterham SV with Turbocharged Miata Engine For Sale

scannon

Its spring and I'm also selling my Caterham SV. I built this car from a new 2004 roller in 2007. The engine and transmission came out of a salvage auction 2000 Miata with 18k miles. The car now has about 27k miles, I say about as it has had 3 speedometers over the years. You can see pictures from when it was first on the road at the link in my sig line. There have been many changes since then and a bit of patina. It is not a garage queen, but a solid reliable driver.

Asking price is $35k

The car has a regular windscreen as well as a pair of Brooklands screens

IMG_6551.jpg

From the above mentioned link with changes to reflect the current configuration:

Engine: 1.8L inline four cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder engine from a 2000 Mazda Miata, with aftermarket turbocharging.

Engine from top.jpg

The battery is now located on the lower frame rail just forward from the location in the picture.

Controls: Link stand-alone ECU (dual processor with keypad and laptop interface). Replaced with a Hydra Nemesis ECU in 2008.

Induction: Mazda Miata intake manifold with 550cc RC fuel injectors. Flyin Miata (Garrett 2650) turbo and exhaust manifold, Track Dog Racing intercooler.

Cooling: Bespoke racing radiator from England. with 1 Spal pulling electric fan.

Exhaust: downpipe with divorced wastegate graduates to 3" diameter and flows into a 3" side pipe with glass-pack muffler, then divides into two OEM 2" tailpipes. Two other exhausts are included, side exit with Magnaflow muffler and a side exhaust with no muffler. Both are 3" stainless steel.

Transmission: 5 speed Miata transmission. The tailshaft was modified for transmission tunnel clearance and to suit Caterham-style transmission mounts. 8.5 lb ACT flywheel, 2005 Mazdaspeed turbo clutch (hydraulically actuated). Custom driveshaft fabricated from a Caterham rear weld yoke and U-joint, and from a Miata splined yoke combined with an RX-7 front weld yoke and U-joint. 2" high strength steel driveshaft tube. The Miata shift lever comes up through the OEM Caterham shift boot.

Rear axle: the car retains the Caterham deDion rear suspension, with Caterham-supplied British Ford "Sierra" 3.92:1 ratio gears and differential carrier, but with a Quaiffe limited slip differential substituted. Caterham supplied struts stabilize the differential.

Front Susp.: stock double A-arm with Caterham (Bilstein) adjustable for height coil-over shocks and sway bar. The steering wheel has a quick disconnect coupling.

Rear Susp.: deDion semi-independent rear suspension with adjustable for height coil-over shocks, Watts links on both sides, and an adjustable sway bar.

Brakes: Caterham supplied 9" disks on all four wheels, 2-pot calipers on the front, single pot calipers with parking brake on rear. No power assist.

Wheels/Tires: Two sets: 7 x 15 Chapparal Panasport style wheels with 205/50-15 Dunlop Direzza tires.

and 7 x 15 Kosai K1-TS orange wheels with 205/50-15 Dunlop Direzza tires. I had adapters made to use 4 x 100mm wheels on all four corners. Much easier to find than 4 x 4 1/4" wheels.

Body/Chassis: The only unusual or irreversible modifications to the chassis were two holes cut in the transmission tunnel to allow access to the Mazda speedometer sensor and the neutral switch. The standard roll-over structure was upgraded to a cross-braced, thicker walled "FIA approved" bar. A five-point, 3" racing harness was added on the driver's side for track day use. Multi-layered spacecraft insulation was placed under the carpets and a heat shield was installed in front of the driver-side foot box. It will not cook your feet. The color is BMW Laguna Seca Blue and all of the paint except for the louvers on the bonnet are covered in 3M clear bra.

Weight: just 1,338 pounds wet. (with 1/2 tank of fuel).

Electrical: motorcycle headlights on lower mounts and popsicle parking-light/turn-signals. Caterham supplied rear lights. Tachometer, speedometer, oil pressure, water temperature and fuel level gages. The only audio system is the exhaust. The ignition switch has been relocated from the steering column to the dashboard, and a home has been found for the Hydra engine management system under the dashboard.

Weather gear: Full OEM top and side curtains, Soft bits bikini top, full tonneau cover.

Lots of other spares and accessories are included with the car.

Completed: road legal in July 2007.

DSCN1994.jpgDSCN1995.jpg

Optional at no extra cost is the Caterham Butt Extractor (or I will remove it)

DSCN2896.jpgDSCN4384.jpg

More pictures to come tomorrow.

Edited by scannon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a car! And what a price! I am tempted, and the last thing I need is another Caterham. I consider this the best deal on a Caterham in the 10 years I have been watching sales here.

What a car! And what a price! I am tempted, and the last thing I need is another Caterham. I consider this the best deal on a Caterham in the 10 years I have been watching sales here.

Have I priced it too low????

The car is licensed as a 2007 "Kit" with a Colorado assigned VIN. The original Caterham VIN is stamped on the car and still visible. The title is clear and I have the original MSO for the kit as well as documentation of the purchase of the donor car from the salvage auction. The Kit designation makes it exempt for emissions testing in Colorado.

Optional is the Baby 7 as seen in the avatar. It is a hand built 5/8th scale of an original Lotus 7 by a race shop in Colorado Springs. It has a 3.5 HP 100cc 4 stroke engine in the boot with a centrifugal clutch, chain drive and is derivable. Top speed is 35mph. Price is $5k. Sylvester and trailer are included, he keeps over enthusiastic children from climbing in at car shows without permission and parental assistance.

side view.jpgwith me.jpgEngine.jpgSylvester on trailer.jpg

Edited by scannon

• 2 weeks later...

In the interest of full disclosure here are pictures of the "warts" and some features on my Caterham. As I said in the first post it is a driver, not a garage queen.

DSCN7867.jpg DSCN7868.jpg DSCN7869.jpg DSCN7870.jpg DSCN7871.jpg DSCN7872.jpg DSCN7873.jpg DSCN7874.jpg DSCN7875.jpg DSCN7876.jpg

Edited by scannon

Another exceptional car and owner for sale. I recall my CSR shake down visit to CO in 2012 and going on a group drive in the canyons with Skip. He disappears into the outer reaches of the universe at warp speed and I am left pussyfooting along at a modest limit on an unfamiliar road. It is breathtakingly quick and beautifully engineered - the workmanship is obvious on close inspection. This is one remarkable seven up for grabs.

Great car! Can you speak about the engine - any mods? Power level, wet or dry sump?

Best of luck..great weight figure too!

The 1,800 cc engine and 5 speed transmission are from a 2000 Miata that had 18k miles on it. Internally it is all original. Mods include a Garrett 2560 turbo on an FM cast manifold, RC 550cc injectors on an FM dual feed fuel rail. It has a 3" stainless steel exhaust system designed by myself with some advice from Corky Bell. A Hydra Nemesis ECU controls the engine. The sump is the OEM wet sump which has effective baffles, never any oil starvation. It has dyno'd as high as 301 RWHP although the boost was turned down a few years ago and I estimate it is somewhere around 250 - 270 HP currently.

• 2 weeks later...

The Caterham has been sold. It will be on its way to Maryland in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the kind comments. I will still be monitoring this website.

The buyer chose not take the optional Baby 7 so if anyone is interested it is for sale for $5,500. Pictures at the bottom of this site:

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm

Sorry to see it leave your hands Skip but I know it is going to a good enthusiast home on the east coast. The new owner was pretty excited when I chatted with him. Hope you stay around on this forum - you are a huge asset to the community.

Sorry to see it leave your hands Skip but I know it is going to a good enthusiast home on the east coast. The new owner was pretty excited when I chatted with him. Hope you stay around on this forum - you are a huge asset to the community.

I think your chat with him had a lot to do with his decision, thanks for that.

Congratulations and condolences:). IF I had been in the market, this is the car I would have bought.

Thanks, I don't think it has quite sunk in that after 11 years I no longer own the car. The Lava V8 also sold today so I will be doing some looking around for another fun car.