I found a friend!

Dan3030

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12750&stc=1

Actually, I have no clue whose car this is (the VW), but when the only open spot in front of Rita's water ice was right next to it, I knew it was destiny. Needless to say the combination gathered a few onlookers as you'd expect.

20170603_190948.jpg

Which one is yours? :troll:

I guess the dak dak engine has more hp? :jester:

I should lay off the jokes given the Kubelwagen eventually sired the 911... :p

Edited by Croc

That is a VW type 181....it was named the "Thing" by VW marketing here in the states...they were imported only two years into US...1973/1974...the one shown is a 73 as it does not have the higher air intakes just behind the rear wheels...They added a shroud also at the rear air intake louvres in 74 to prevent water ingestion...remember..you heard it here first...chuckle

PS...Actor Gene Hackman drove one of these quite a bit (exact color too) in an '80's movie..I think it was called "No Way Out" or something like that..

Edited by sevenup

These were manufactured inMexico. Down there, we called it a Safari. My son was gifted one by another starving musician. We cleaned it up and made it reliable (like his later bus). He then sold it for about $1500. The only thing cooler out of late air cooled Mexico was the VW Basic Truck.