The Prisoner at 50

Alaskossie

There was a segment on NPR Morning Edition today, marking the 50th anniversary of the release of the first episode of The Prisoner.

See: http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/09/29/554067095/number-six-at-50-the-fiftieth-anniversary-of-the-prisoner

The 17 episodes of The Prisoner became increasingly surreal, and its finale left the situation unresolved and its viewers split into two camps -- a first for a television series, according to the segment.

The NPR segment did not mention Number 6's mode of transport, but KAR120C can be heard accelerating away as the segment ends.

BBC, back in the day it was on PBS, was at fault for my Lotus leanings, Emma Peel and her Lotus Elan and Number 6 and his Lotus 7. I have owned an Elan and still have two 7s, I've also had a Europa and an Elise.

James, I think it was called "National Educational Television" back in the day. It seems to have lived up to that name for a lot of folks on this thread:). I blame Road and Track for my se7en addiction. It started in 1961-62 or so when I read an article there about Lotus 7's , sold as kit cars, as I recall, for around $1.2K. Not sure if that was with the engine, details like that didn't seem important then since the whole thing was a fantasy anyway (And continued to be for about 45 years).

I also blame Road & Track, the July 1961 issue, to be precise. R&T had a great road test of the Lotus 7 America, with all of 40 hp and a dry weight of 960 lb. The sub-head to the test was a cute pun: "What is it, daddy? It's a kit car, son."

It took me from 1961 to 2007 to finally fulfill my life-long dream -- the ownership of a Seven. Lots of wasted time and opportunity in between those two years.