Fuse amperage

KOnahic

Hey Ya'll,

I didn't have much else going on, so I thought I would convert my '82 Lotus/Caterham from circuit breakers to fuses. As an explanation, I live in Hawaii & if I was on the other side of the island & one of the circuit breakers decided to pack it in, I'd be in a bad way. Hence the idea to convert to fuses. Does anyone know what amperage fuses I should be running for the following circuits?

Headlights

Brake Lights

Dash Lights

Turn Signals

Horn

Wipers

Radiator Fan

Fuel pump

Many Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

FWIW, I'm installing a Painless Performance 10102 wiring harness in my Stalker rebuild. Per the Painless manual, this is a list of applicable fuse sizes used in the harness

Headlight Switch………………………………………………… 30

Emergency Flashers……………………………………………. 15

Turn Signals………………………………………………………. 15

Gauges……………………………………………………………… 10

Horn………………………………………………………………….. 20

Wipers………………………………………………………………. 15

Brake Switch……………………………………………………… 20

Electric Fan Relay………………………………………………… 5

Electric Fan .......………………………………………………… 30 (this is per Spal for my application)

Electric Fuel Pump………………………………………………. 15

Backup/Cruise Control…………………………………………. 10

The wires should be sized for the load and the fuse sized to protect the wire from overheating. So whatever size wire you have already in the car will dictate what fuse to protect it with. For example, a 14 gauge wire, no matter what it is feeding, should not have a fuse larger than 15 amps.

Tom

I would, but there's no value on it nor is anything written on the wiring diagram I have. So far, I have gone down 1 step in amperage size from what xcarguy suggested and everything seems to be working.

Thanks for the input, Kurt