'Twas the night before Christmas...

John B

'Twas the night before Christmas,

and all through the house,

not a creature was Hooning,

not even a mouse...

... When all of a sudden, there arose such a clatter...

Our second annual traditional Christmas Eve Caterham ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this the John B that purchased my blue WCM S2K???

Not me, but I'd be curious how you got your Alfa 4C up to 320 hp. I really wanted to get one and went for a test drive and liked everything about it except the power.

​My 4C has the Eurocomplusion Stage 2 full ECU (separate, adjustable ECU), plus Stage 2 intake, Magnasport Corsa exhaust (wider pipe, resonator delete, shorter paths) and Brisk plugs (hotter, longer spark). This configuration is good for 320 HP or more per Chris at Eurocompulsion, but my denim dyno tells me about 300. Dynomometering a 4C requires a custom 4-wheel design - sensors in the Alfa front wheels read the speed differential vis-a-vis the rears, and immediately shut the car down into a limp-home mode. Since Eurocompulsion is just now installing such a custom dyno, how do they know the actual output of their Stage 2 package? Good question. Was it computed? Not sure. But a big power increase is evident. In addition to power, the Stage2 ECU reduces the fuel pedal lag time (the throttle is drive-by-wire) and a multitude of other performance upgrades - you can visit the Eurocompulsion website for many additional details. A Stage 3 package will be introduced in the Spring. The Stage 3 package will have been tested on their new dyno, per Chris. Stage 3 will be more expensive and will probably deliver around 350 HP without diving inside the motor. Various sources estimate the safe power output of the 1.7 liter long block to be in the range of 350 to 400 HP. I intend to stay at the lower end of that range.

I am now installing upgraded sway bars, substituting heims and links for the sway bar bushings, installing tighter urethane bushings into the rear lower a-arms, adding about 2" to the track with spacers, and adding blocks to the front end that permit much greater negative camber and toe-in. I'll let everybody know how it turns out. Alfa below is my color (Rosso Corso), but not my car - I thought the Euro stradale look was cool!

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13802&stc=1

alfa 4c parked on euro street.jpg

Edited by Bruce K

• 2 weeks later...