2018 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

rcollum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I planned to drive the Elise to Katie's this morning... the Elise planned differently. I had a problem starting the car, several weeks ago, and discovered that I needed to use my CTEK charger on a different setting (the cold weather setting), since it is an 'AGM' type battery. It seems that the battery was at the end of its life, since that strategy worked, but only for a few more weeks. Now, I need to buy a new one. Oh, well.

A decent crowd at Katie's, even including a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Oh, and my Subaru. Well, it turns out the Seven WILL start, so I'll drive that to Fairfax Circle tomorrow!

--Bob Collum

IMG_2705-Edit.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2728-Edit.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Bob,

Thanks for posting these. I read your posts and drool over the photos every week but have never thanked you and let you know.

Thanks! I'm glad to be of service, doing something I love.

--Bob Collum

I drove my Elise to Katie's today, to make sure my new battery is working, and that there are no issues with the charging system. All is OK!

A lot of nice cars today; a big turnout, after several weeks of salt and cold and a little precipitation. Everybody was ready to get out of the house. (I was disappointed to have the only Lotus there, though...)

Three of my breakfast friends in front of the McLaren.

A Ferrari Daytona.

'SpeedyCop' brought what looks like an old Dodge, but is a diesel Mercedes underneath; this is a LeMons car.

My friend Pete's beautiful 550 replica.

--Bob Collum

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2853-Edit.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

Well, we've made it to February, though Punxutawney Phil says we have 6 more weeks of winter. It was 15F when I got to Katie's this morning, but at least there was no wind. A reasonable amount of cars showed up. No Lotus there, save mine.

--Bob Collum

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2936-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Dammit! I got up early, and checked outside. It was 29F, no breeze, and dry. I really wanted to drive the Seven, but I jumped in the Elise, and drove towards Katie's, as I normally do every Saturday morning. 3 blocks from my house, I see that Fairfax County has, again, sprayed massive amounts of brine solution on the roads.... Grrr..... I was already out, so I continued on to meet friends for breakfast. Turnout was decent, and, at least it wasn't ridiculously cold! I had the only Lotus there, but saw some 'Lotus friends' - including Michael D, who sold his Seven last year.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3036-Edit.jpg

Not a huge turnout, because it was foggy out - but, it was mid-forties this morning, even really early! A friend just bought a Ferrari 599, and brought it out for the first time... A huge number of Porsches there, as there always seems to be when there's iffy weather... Ed drove his X 1/9.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3068-Edit.jpg

IMG_3072-Edit.jpg

IMG_3098-Edit.jpg

IMG_3109-Edit.jpg

Sweet x19.. Not many left anymore. I saw one going down the highway the other day. First one I had seen in a couple of decades. Russ

My friend found that car a couple of years ago - absolutely original, with only a couple thousand miles on it - he's really enjoying it. He has an interesting ownership history - he's had a Lancia Beta Monte Carlo, an AMG Mercedes, and a Noble, among others.

--Bob Collum

• 2 weeks later...

After being at Katie's early last week, but finding it closed because of the power outage, we (and a LOT of other people) decided today was the day for a drive to Katie's. I had to leave early, to drive up to Pennsylvania for another Lotus club's winter meeting. We had our first look at the 840hp Dodge Challenger Demon.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3183-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

A special day at Katies; first, it's St. Patrick's Day, and that really means something at a place called The Old Brogue. Second, the many regulars who missed last week because they were at the Amelia Island Concours in Florida returned, with great stories of cars and car people. Of course, there are ALWAYS great cars at Katie's.

My favorites this week - the beautiful Mercedes Gullwing replica, built on a newer MB chassis, with a modern AMG engine. Bob Morris' unbelievable, fresh-from-restoration Allard. As beautiful a new car as there is: the Aston Martin DB11. Another all-time favorite of mine: the Alfa Montreal.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3327-Edit.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3345-Edit.jpg

IMG_3346-Edit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the last Saturday in March, it wasn't too cold, and FINALLY, the salt on the roads has been washed away! A good turnout of Lotus! Michael D is dealing with Seven withdrawal, and had his BMW there today.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3459-Edit.jpg

IMG_3483-Edit.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

Looks like the Darrin got a lot of attention. I've never seen one actually driving around.

The guy who owns this Kaiser Darrin is the guy who created this cars & coffee event. He used to have two nearly-identical Kaiser Darrins, but sold the second one over a year ago.

--Bob Collum

P1190058.jpg

Last week, I saw a Kaiser Darrin in ‘The Vault’ of the Peterson Automotive Museum (no photos allowed). First (and only) one I’ve ever seen up close and personal. I wonder if could be the sister ship in the photo above.

• 2 weeks later...

We had been getting dire predictions of a big snow all week. That changed late this week to a snow/rain mix. The reality was, a very sparse, slight mist. While the turnout at Katie's was a bit light, we had some interesting stuff... I was the first car there!

--Bob Collum

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg