2018 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

rcollum

The major C & C in my area has been moved 4 times, once because it out grew the coffee shop's parking and the other three times due to bad actors. The current one is in the parking lot of a mega church and there is a large local police presence to damp down the testosterone. 300 - 400 cars attend the monthly event and I have not observed any burn outs, fights or other bad behavior. There is a fair amount of engine revving but there are no residential areas close by so it is tolerated.

It seems like most everyone wants to hear my flat plane crankshaft Mustang at high revs with the exhaust opened up. I give a demonstration a couple of times during the event, keeping the revs to 5k. I haven't had any complaints so far.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is the sign posted at the exit from Katie's, onto Georgetown Pike. The other picture was taken a few weeks ago, of a guy who decided to do a burnout up the exit, towards Georgetown Pike. Are you impressed? The cop, who was sitting across the street, and beat the truck thru the intersection, was not impressed. A large group of Katie's regulars applauded the cop.

--Bob Collum

IMG_6366.jpg

Katie's action  Aug 11 2018 (002).jpg

The first day of September was overcast, but dry. I saw some lightning on the way to the event, but never saw a drop of rain.

Nevertheless, attendance was down... but still not at all bad. I saw my first Corvette ZR-1 there today. One of my favorites is the Intermeccanica Italia - a simply gorgeous spyder.

--Bob Collum

P.S.: Don't miss the McGovern party on Sept. 8th:

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?12099-Kevin-McGovern-Party-09-08-18-2-00PM-Ellicott-City-Maryland&p=108225#post108225

IMG_6330-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_6332-Edit.jpg

IMG_6353.jpg

IMG_6377-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

All week long, we've had temperatures in the nineties, and high humidity. The weekend is down to the seventies, but it rained a good portion of Friday night, and it's threatening rain today. When I drove to Katie's around 5:00AM, there was no rain, and the streets were dry. However, the threat of rain meant that it was after 6:30AM before we had a good crowd.

--Bob Collum

IMG_6405-Edit.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6409-Edit.jpg

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6433-Edit.jpg

IMG_6411-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

OK, I give up. What is the first, red, car?

Skoda Felicia. Late '90s, I believe. Has a 1.1 liter engine. My friend followed him up Georgetown Pike on the way to the event - he said it was not even doing the speed limit. Cute, though!

Edited by rcollum

• 2 weeks later...

A really good Saturday at Katie's. I met several people who were first-time-visitors. One drove his Triumph all the way from Kansas, to see friends, but had heard of this event, and wanted to see it. A man and his son arrived in his race-prepped 240SX.

An old Lotus friend also showed up, and Bob Morris' Allard was delivered.

I had not seen the Honda Beat there before - it's a Kei car, made for tight urban spaces.

--Bob Collum

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6770.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6740.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very light rain when I left the house this morning, but it had stopped by the time I arrived at Katie's. Cool, but not cold this morning - jacket weather.

A good turnout of cars and people!

Don't forget - our 16th Get Your Lotus Out event will be held here, on Katie's lower lot, Sunday, November 11th, 2018, at 10:00AM. Sevens are more than welcome!

--Bob Collum

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6882-Edit.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6933-Edit.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

Where do you stand on the white letters on the tires? I sort of liked it a few years ago, but now it's just too common. I suppose these isn't much need to make a 7 look more unique anyway.

Daniel

On the Lexus, I thought it was silly. There are a few cars that can pull it off, but not this one. I think it comes down to making the car reflect its competition variant; the Lexus has none, as far as I know.

--Bob Collum

A rainy Saturday at Katie's. A low turnout, of cars and people, but not a total bust. We had about 25 people inside.

I found the two Peugeots interesting. See? - there's always something worth seeing at Katie's!

--Bob Collum

IMG_6989.jpg

IMG_6991.jpg

IMG_6994-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_6993-Edit-Edit.jpg

It rained last night, and was still sprinkling when I left home. Rain stopped before 7AM, and people showed up a little later than usual - but they did show up. The last picture shows something I didn't recognize - does anybody know what it is? I'll post the answer later.

--Bob Collum

IMG_7058-Edit.jpg

IMG_7027-Edit.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

IMG_7055-Edit.jpg

IMG_7057.jpg

Its a device to let you see traffic lights when the car has a large external sun shade like the one on the Chevy in the previous picture. This one looks like a series of small curved mirrors rather than a clear prism.

Edited by scannon

Right you are, Skip - the owner of the Chevy told me it was a 'factory option', but I think it was more likely a dealer-offered item.

When I first got my Elise, I remember a lot of people asking for the modern, decal version of this.

--Bob Collum

IMG_7056.jpg

A cold but dry Saturday! Especially nice, after we had our first snow of the year Thursday of this week. The snow had been cleared by rain, and there wasn't too much salt on the roads. A fairly good turnout for the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Tom Jones, who I met last Sunday at GYLO, was there with his black Elan.

--Bob Collum

IMG_7217-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_7252-Edit.jpg

IMG_7243-Edit.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7246-Edit-Edit.jpg