WCM Ultralike dampers and sway bar

mel kuipers

the thread below talks about dampers....my question is what adjustable dampers fit a 2004 WMC Ultratlite?....also, my ride does not have a front sway bar---what is the best way to add one?....I will be auto Xing the car and need the back to follow the front....Mel

I don't know of anyone with sway bars installed... Loren probably has the most experience racing these and this is his comments when I emailed him some time ago:

I like to try to keep the shocks at mid stroke for ride height. Those shocks are 3" stroke so you 1.5-2" of compression room is usually about right. I like to run a little stiffer spring on the front. I use 550 lb springs since we dont run a swaybar on the front it helps reduce roll but it is a little stiffer on the street for sure. I think a good compromise will be 400-450 on the front. You will need to go to a 2" spring because nobody makes those rate springs in a 1 7/8 shock body (Q1s). The 2" fits fine on that shock body. There are several spring manufactures I like Hyperco http://www.hypercoils.com/suspension-coil-springs/conventional-springs.html The make a spring that is about 5" long that works great on the front. They have a spring calculator on the website that is pretty easy to use. Just take some simple measurements on the car. The calcultor is available on the front page tools area.

Another thought is to upgrade your shocks down the road. The QA1s are a decent entry but you can do a much better shock with some adjustability. We installed different shocks on Kevins car and they are very good. http://www.advancedracingsusp.com/ they custom build them in house to your car. The last set I bought was about 1200.00 worth the upgrade when your ready.

Loren recommended 250 - 275 on the rear.

I (Mondo) put 450/250lbs on stock Q1s and it's not too stiff for road work, will probably go 500front when I get new shocks.

Edited by Mondo

I have 400lb front and 300lb rear, as was said there is no norm, I have revalved the QA's with a 2 step higher rebound, directions are on the QA web site. This made a dramatic difference in the stability and control of the car and I have never wanted for a sway bar. When I first purchased the car I too thought it was strange as not to have bars, I have always been a proponent of them, but people at the track comment that the car has next to no body lean, and it is very neutral you can just put it anywhere you want. I have only done a handful of auto crosses but have over 2000 miles of track. I also have made limit straps for front and rear, mainly for jacking so the weight doesn't hang on the joints and some of my favorite roads will come close to air time. Just my 2 cents