New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

The fall foliage shots are great! And I think a Caterham looks better with its top up. That raked/sloping forward roof line looks a bit menacing to me and compliments the "hot rod" lines of the car. When I bought my first Cat, 12 years ago, I became fixated on the pics with the top up and had to buy it (resistance is futile...). And I discovered it did a good job of keeping the rain out, tho not so good and keeping the warmth in. Hey you cant have everything!

While I agree with a "hot rod"/menacing look with the roof up, I certainly like it with Aero a lot more and this only gets used out of necessity of weather (cold/rain). Luckily it's a quick swap between Aero and windshield.

Where did you find the center caps? I've got the same wheels which also came without centers. I never did any searching when I first got the car but might be interested.

Thanks,

Jim

Where did you find the center caps? I've got the same wheels which also came without centers. I never did any searching when I first got the car but might be interested.

Thanks,

Jim

Are you on Facebook on the Caterham and Lotus 7 group? There was a thread on the center caps happening there and a very nice gentleman Phil Waters agreed to make me one more set. I'd message him if I were you. Mine is either already posted or is about to be posted. He made mine in black but could make them in red for me. If yours are black it might make more sense to ship black ones to you and just have me make another set in red like he wanted to originally.

I also got a hold of the original painter of the car and he helped shine some line on what colors were used on mine. BS538 British Standard post office red and white just being Caterham white.

Edited by Vovchandr

• 5 months later...

Did a few things today

Found a mount for the garage opener. Was very proud until I went to test it after pulling out. It appears the chassis blocks a lot of signal from that area and it doesn't work well.

1e0c44135ee3715a2705a501d6a581d1.jpg

Wrapped the aero screen. Still not perfect but I'm more happy with it this time around.

07c9b016b9724a50f192168d66f7c4cf.jpg

Put the foam mats inside the fender wells to help with rock chips and noise.

b8727a830669e75676546a2130b60df1.jpg

Chased down the electrical cluster issue that has been bothering me. Came to realize my inline fuse didn't work properly. Fuse was intact. Power was being carried on one side but failing to transfer through the other side for some reason.

dc36a4c6f0c1ee3371828448f324acee.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Also finally figured out how to mount the poppers on the aero screen. A little confused why it's the proper way this way. It was a much tighter fit without poppers at all and it sat flush. This seems almost like a downgrade. More testing needed.

465cc4a84038a7b73bc4068f6c647701.jpg

The poppers are also used for the tonneau. Thats why they are there. So if the windscreen is on, the tonneau can use the poppers just as much as if the aeroscreen is there.

The poppers are also used for the tonneau. Thats why they are there. So if the windscreen is on, the tonneau can use the poppers just as much as if the aeroscreen is there.

Ah. Very good point. That reminds me I need to finish my SBFS order and get myself a tonneau.

• 4 weeks later...

Adventures of today.

20 year old plastic union gave up the ghost as I was sitting at idle picking up Chinese food

Found out that Amazon Chase roadside service covers no towing. Also found out that they Caterham in their computer system.

Sunday night part fail at 8pm or so isn't ideal. Every single store is closed or about to close. Parts/home/hardware/Walmart etc.

Ended up cutting up the rest of the plug with cutters and reusing it to limp back home. Metal union next.

1b6b533e3b2ec19248f9e6b02f0ec536.jpg

3cb5e94cc5b7a894945cec085bd8858b.jpg

216d0c09bdd9fe9b109c5f8b6b976366.jpg

Oh dude! I can so relate to that photo of steaming engine and the fluro green coolant leaking out. Happened a few times on my Caterhams and more recently, in the Fiat. Always on an isolated country road with no phone signal.

I recommend carrying some silicone tape in the tool kit for hose bursts. Would not have solved your problem this time but that stuff has saved me with many a coolant pipe burst.

Oh dude! I can so relate to that photo of steaming engine and the fluro green coolant leaking out. Happened a few times on my Caterhams and more recently, in the Fiat. Always on an isolated country road with no phone signal.

I recommend carrying some silicone tape in the tool kit for hose bursts. Would not have solved your problem this time but that stuff has saved me with many a coolant pipe burst.

Good idea. I'll do that.

I got cocky and pulled the tools out that I had in the back for the last month or so. Didn't want to keep risking them moving/banging around the back while I'm waiting on the new tool box/bag being made by SBFS. I even carried spare water for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Also got a tool to see how well my ITBs are balanced.

Most are similar. One is a but high @ ~9 vs rest @ ~7.5

Not sure if its something to be concerned about

fde6be91b4c573e06fcfdcc15ab2fd95.jpg

0b89bd75a22d377f0739e3015bde0799.jpg

669ac7eef643b87f1f394beddb59638c.jpg

71a3153fa3c43a5cc6a9fe2b5e7f6907.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr

Other issues.

Mount was fixed once already and failed again. Don't think I can fix again, will order a new one.

I saw one company make a carbon fiber guard but they haven't been getting back to me. Likely a one off

c51f9c911bcd6a97a5133b2bc9fbac9a.jpg

1b9cbcb4253600a63672907440c4237a.jpg

892fa1db4ad8d18397cad2d93f7ff50d.jpg

Team red stripes

In other news I now appear to be getting about 30 to 35 mpg. Doesn't feel right .. at all. Feels more wrong than 9mpg from before.

7bf28bd942365735853b4b6616f437ca.jpg

All is from Soft Bits for Sevens

Top left - tool box

Rest of left - trunk padding. As Croc mentioned in other thread and I know from personal dent experience, things in the trunk get in motion and want to stay in motion until soft aluminum panel tries to stop it.

Top right - heavy duty zip tonneau

Middle right - light duty tonneau

Bottom right - light duty rain cover

In the first balancing picture, what is the sensor in between the cams, looks like a temp sensor. Whatever it is it has a nice blob of goop on the top! I would order a new one it looks like the connector has failed and someone has done a temp bodge repair.

Graham

In the first balancing picture, what is the sensor in between the cams, looks like a temp sensor. Whatever it is it has a nice blob of goop on the top! I would order a new one it looks like the connector has failed and someone has done a temp bodge repair.

Graham

That should the VCT cam sensor for valve adjustments on Zetecs. From what I've been told mine is disabled on mine since the build of the car. I'm not even sure if Pectel ECU would have the ability to accommodate the VCT even if it wanted to.

The blob of goop has been on there since I've owned the car and honestly it hasn't bothered me or ever has been on my mind.