New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

2 hours ago, Croc said:

Start psyching yourself up for a full tear down and rebuild.  The etching is a tell tale of the engine running really lean at some point.  If your piston tops look like that then its likely there is damage elsewhere.  

I see. How involving of a rebuild are you fearing? If I don't need to re-bore the walls are these pistons still good? I assume the valves could be shot which would further encourage the hunt for SVT head. 

@Kitcat or maybe a whole SVT swap if bottom end has to come out? 

Edited by Vovchandr

8 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

I see. How involving of a rebuild are you fearing? If I don't need to re-bore the walls are these pistons still good? I assume the valves could be shot which would further encourage the hunt for SVT head.

@Vovchandryou won't know what you need to replace until you start taking things apart.  This is particularly true in your case given the history of various engine-related maladies.  Based on your comment that you are a few weeks away from pulling the head, I'd start thinking long and hard about your budget and determine if you approach this experience simply as a painful repair, or as an upgrade opportunity.   If it's more than the head gasket, things can spiral out of control pretty quickly if you let them, so good to apply some rigor up front to define your desired end state and how much you are willing to deplete your kids' college fund to get there.  Also, remember that if you make any performance changes -- and swapping to a higher flowing head is a performance change -- you will need to remap the ECU.  Given the Pectel is pretty old and requires a version of Windows that is literally from last century, I'd give serious consideration to getting something more modern as part of this experience.  

-John

15 minutes ago, JohnCh said:

@Vovchandryou won't know what you need to replace until you start taking things apart.  This is particularly true in your case given the history of various engine-related maladies.  Based on your comment that you are a few weeks away from pulling the head, I'd start thinking long and hard about your budget and determine if you approach this experience simply as a painful repair, or as an upgrade opportunity.   If it's more than the head gasket, things can spiral out of control pretty quickly if you let them, so good to apply some rigor up front to define your desired end state and how much you are willing to deplete your kids' college fund to get there.  Also, remember that if you make any performance changes -- and swapping to a higher flowing head is a performance change -- you will need to remap the ECU.  Given the Pectel is pretty old and requires a version of Windows that is literally from last century, I'd give serious consideration to getting something more modern as part of this experience.  

-John

That's good advice @JohnCh

After a brief conversation with @Kitcat Mike I think I was lead down a reasonable path of research and conclusion.

Without looking into it further yet, I've found some decade old posts by the great @1turbofocus describing how while SVT engine + head are better to start, it makes no sense to put just the head or even do the upgrade to the engine overall as regular Zetec can pretty easily match the SVT numbers with basic upgrades. That plus the consideration of going FI over the winter with the Rotrex leads me going down the path of fixing what I have to make it through the approaching track day before going with further upgrading.

Currently pending getting ARP head studs (back ordered everywhere, checked with my mechanical guru and he said I can use OEM head studs and it won't be the end of the world in a pinch), new OEM head gasket and replacing whatever else that could use the love as needed once I'm there.

Also pending a fresh tune once everything is sorted out. Tom said I'd need adjustable cam gears to get a good tune so will get that upgrade done while head is off as well.

Would like not to get into another ECU unless I can get a bolt on affair. Really trying to avoid getting into rewiring things. Not sure what my options are. I've gotten an Omex unit with my Rotrex purchase but I don't believe it's an easy conversion. While you're right really old Pectel requires some finicking to work, the fact that it does work and there are means of tuning it, keeps me happy until it no longer works or tuner(s) demand otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, Vovchandr said:

That's good advice @JohnCh

After a brief conversation with @Kitcat Mike I think I was lead down a reasonable path of research and conclusion.

Without looking into it further yet, I've found some decade old posts by the great @1turbofocus describing how while SVT engine + head are better to start, it makes no sense to put just the head or even do the upgrade to the engine overall as regular Zetec can pretty easily match the SVT numbers with basic upgrades. That plus the consideration of going FI over the winter with the Rotrex leads me going down the path of fixing what I have to make it through the approaching track day before going with further upgrading.

Currently pending getting ARP head studs (back ordered everywhere, checked with my mechanical guru and he said I can use OEM head studs and it won't be the end of the world in a pinch), new OEM head gasket and replacing whatever else that could use the love as needed once I'm there.

Also pending a fresh tune once everything is sorted out. Tom said I'd need adjustable cam gears to get a good tune so will get that upgrade done while head is off as well.

Would like not to get into another ECU unless I can get a bolt on affair. Really trying to avoid getting into rewiring things. Not sure what my options are. I've gotten an Omex unit with my Rotrex purchase but I don't believe it's an easy conversion. While you're right really old Pectel requires some finicking to work, the fact that it does work and there are means of tuning it, keeps me happy until it no longer works or tuner(s) demand otherwise. 

Adjustable cams may not be available. I waited for weeks and finally gave up as I had track days looming. So check that out.

I hate to think that I may actually be a voice of reason but....one option is to find a vanilla working zetec.  Plug that into the car to continue driving.  Then you can rebuild a proper engine spec zetec at your leisure allowing for delays in getting parts, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

Adjustable cams may not be available. I waited for weeks and finally gave up as I had track days looming. So check that out.

Brief search found these (sold individually) on eBay from a UK company of sorts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262501818413?hash=item3d1e53e02d:g:CMEAAOSwvg9XcpSu

https://www.turbosport.net/

Are there recommendations for specific brands or they all do the same thing realiably? 

3 minutes ago, Croc said:

I hate to think that I may actually be a voice of reason but....one option is to find a vanilla working zetec.  Plug that into the car to continue driving.  Then you can rebuild a proper engine spec zetec at your leisure allowing for delays in getting parts, etc.  

Will vanilla Zetec work with my Pectel ITB map, cams and modified timing? I dont think I can plug the vanilla ECU into my harness, but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Vovchandr said:

Will vanilla Zetec work with my Pectel ITB map, cams and modified timing? I dont think I can plug the vanilla ECU into my harness, but I could be wrong. 

Your response indicates this may not be a good idea for you to carry out.   

A standard zetec with Focus ECU and standard plenum intake will bolt in and marry up to existing cooling, fueling and transmission.  You would not use Pectel or ITB.  Wiring harness would be adaptable - thats not too bad for a good auto electrician.  We did it once in an afternoon at NJMP.    Only remaining point is sump will be standard so road only.  

On reflection, I dont think its for you.  

6 minutes ago, Croc said:

Your response indicates this may not be a good idea for you to carry out.   

A standard zetec with Focus ECU and standard plenum intake will bolt in and marry up to existing cooling, fueling and transmission.  You would not use Pectel or ITB.  Wiring harness would be adaptable - thats not too bad for a good auto electrician.  We did it once in an afternoon at NJMP.    Only remaining point is sump will be standard so road only.  

On reflection, I dont think its for you.  

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I think what I was trying to say was....

Homer Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

@JohnChAnd on that bombshell, what is going on with that rating?  It was 5 stars a week ago, then back to 3 stars and now slightly higher at 3.5 stars?  I'm not sure about it winning an Oscar?  The lead actor flubs his lines from time to time when he forgets the script.  I know they could have cast a leading actor with a better body - Leonardo di Caprio?  But I would have still said he deserves a higher rating.  I think the entire cast agrees.

Sesame Street Muppets GIF by HBO

I just gave him a 5 which bumped it by about 1/2 star ( @Vovchandr where do I send the PayPal request?).  This tells me very few people have rated it thus far, so if someone hovers over the stars to see if it will show more detail like Amazon has trained us to expect, and accidentally clicks over the first or second star while doing so, we'll see swings like this.  The only way to avoid this is by disabling the feature.  Personally, I don't see much value in a thread rating on a forum like this and a quick count shows only 3 of the last 30 threads in the General forum have been rated -- interestingly two of those were started by @Vovchandr.  Hmm...   I don't think disabling it will be missed.  I'll start a poll late to get input.  Now back to Vlad's possessed engine.

-John