New guy. Here is my Cat

Vovchandr

• 4 weeks later...

Updates:

Out with the yellow, in with the red!

IMG_20210509_192033272_HDR.jpg

CAB631D9-C3E9-42B6-A57E-D8649BA27CD1.jpeg

On a more serious note, finally got the car on a dyno to find out that I have a very under performing motor. After getting everything dialed in, I was at about 140 horse on my "200hp" package with the headwork, cam work, ITB's etc. About 20hp is missing somewhere. Compression is strong, everything else checks out. 

Car is faster than ever on the top end but stops building power after 6k. 

That means that likely up until this point car was under 100hp before tune and sorting out issues. 

Edited by Vovchandr

Hi @Vovchandr the issue with attachment space is that your paid Club Member status expired last week, so your limits went from 500MB to 100MB but you have uploaded over 135MB.  I'll look into the numbers later and see if we can afford to raise the limits a bit for each group.  BTW the dashboard shows that you are about to hit your PM limit of 50 (it was 500 with your old status) so you may want to delete unneeded messages.  

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

Thanks @JohnCh renewed 

Also discovered that my blinker pod failed in transport, so finally time to swap over to the CF ones. That wiring with no connectors is always a huge pita to undertake. Debated on also swapping over to lower headlights mounts, but realized that I need to drop the sway bar and wasn't willing to get into it just yet

0F3A2AB5-4758-4764-8E07-3367B40B63CB.jpeg

During tuning...

251C9162-EC6A-4FAB-A138-D15FC9C4ADE1.jpeg

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Recent road tests found me on the side of the road again. (I'm genuinely not complaining, good stories to tell and I typically have tools with me to fix misc issues)

As I was driving down the highway I started to see a little bit of water forming on the bonnet vents then seconds later it turned into a new feature of a car - a new windshield washer squirter has appeared! Only problems is that it was forming on the bonnet and the fluid was coolant.

Pulled off the highway to discover a pinhole size hole formed on the coolant return line to the overflow and was shooting coolant a considerable distance.

I thought to myself - no problem shorten in to bypass the hole and go on with my day. However once I've done that it wouldn't stop seeping past the hose clamp. Investigated further and found out that even though the hose appeared to be fine on the outside, there was a propagating deterioration crack inside. This couldn't be bypassed with the length of hose that I had remaining. Luckily a 7 attracts curious minds and a very nice gentlemen that was concerned about me broken down in the heat said he had a garage near by and he'll be right back. Brought back new hose and even clamps in case I needed them

All fixed!

Pictures

Coated in coolant

A3AE160E-BB73-432C-8CAE-F75572BB6023.jpeg

FD1B7FED-9DAC-4B8E-9DAE-4273FB9E4B6B.jpeg

E84276EF-BDFC-41C9-8FF9-903B3A386FEB.jpeg

3ACA6518-67CE-480B-B021-5620D4C35316.jpeg

E6A43E44-6E09-46BE-9C6D-E5ED568071E3.jpeg

Edited by Vovchandr

Visuals 

D21D1FF3-1007-448B-9A4B-7AD50E2C020E.jpeg

Green is the most delicious right? One of the rare times I wish I had a windshield

FCE6BBF6-4B50-4271-8480-1B02CCD11E1B.jpeg

1DFA131C-2986-4486-9F6E-86CFED53F690.jpeg

The troublemaker caught in the act!

906F84BE-80FC-44A1-97B9-589C7C2794FE.jpeg

Area of refuge

25AAEAF2-F36C-4B7C-A258-D8DDDD9AD282.jpeg

You can see the crack further in the hose on the inside

8F68F9ED-16F4-4243-B903-B332E4AF2BD7.jpeg

Edited by Vovchandr

On the way back from this adventure everything seemed all good and well and then EMO while I'm moving. Everything off, no engine, no electric, no hazards. Carefully pull over on the momentum and begin further investigating.

At first I thought that maybe my FIA cutoff switch has fallen out or failed.

Started investigating and saw that my negative terminal has gone completely disconnected. Isn't the running theory that most EFI cars don't need a battery to run once started? Not sure why that would have killed the car. However, quick fix and everything recovered just in time to outrun the rain and enjoy the sights. 

At this point I'm starting to consider tools to be able to place the bonnet safely during troubleshooting without scratching it...

A33292DF-F35C-4AE5-8523-1B3067D55AE7.jpeg

30F222A7-BD65-4628-9602-3A18C629F896.jpeg

647CDBF3-1243-4C43-AF56-E57F8B9DC850.jpeg

Edited by Vovchandr
  • Like 1

That is an adventure!

There should be a ground cable between the engine and the chassis as well as the battery. Generally, they get left off or break and are not replaced, grounding the drivetrain through the throttle cable. That and the condition of the bat cable could explain intermittent problems.

I'd use 4ga cables for this. I buy marine grade cable and copper lugs as needed for the right eye size, then crimp, solder, then heat shrink.

Edited by MV8

17 hours ago, Vovchandr said:

....hole formed on the coolant return line to the overflow ...

I carry silicone tape in my toolkit for road trips.  You could wrap it tightly around the length of offending hose and stop enough of the leak to get yourself home.  

it looks like the battery cab was not crimped, we convert cars and trucks to all battery power and have been doing this since 1973 , No one in the business would ever solder a battery joint. You can buy a hammer crimper at any auto part store, you use a hammer on the striking post and the crimp will NEVER come loose.

we use this in a 20-ton hyd press to make our battery cables / BTW the main battery pack fuse is 800 AMP

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Something interesting I discovered today. Failure of the air filter on ITBs. 

Caught this out of the corner of my eye as I was about to put the hood back on. No idea how long it was like this or what could have lead to specific failure other than wear and tear from the hood. 

doesn’t appear that any pieces went in

i wanted to do a test run anyway so I jimmy rigged a solution to go out for a quick test 

image.png.95d75ac00c51516c883a8e6a4e04f74f.png

image.png.6eda503a431f3b4318a79cc73edbfcb6.png

9EA19625-ACA8-4FFB-818F-C5EB4C83924A.jpeg

417DB7B6-FE5E-4AC0-93FC-F153774347A4.jpeg

image.png.5f8f8aa75b9f7d1cdea7805c7766bf31.png

Edit: Don't know why my iphone images came out as 180 degrees rotate like the other member had. Fixed in MSpaint

Edited by Vovchandr

@Vovchandr see this help topic for the upside down photo issue.  We do have the EXIF extension enabled in PHP which normally takes care of it, but there are random images that don't respond.  I've read that sometimes this is due to someone changing the orientation of their phone then immediately taking the photo and not allowing the phone to reorient itself (I need to update the help topic with that nugget).  This could be the case here.  It could also be a recent software change on Apple's end creating an incompatibility, or an issue with the PHP on the server.  I need to update that over the next couple of weeks, and a forum software update was also just released.  Once those are both done, and if the issue continues for your photos, I can open a support ticket.

Now back to the latest instalment of "Vlad's car is cursed!" :) 

-John

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnCh said:

@Vovchandr see this help topic for the upside down photo issue.  We do have the EXIF extension enabled in PHP which normally takes care of it, but there are random images that don't respond.  I've read that sometimes this is due to someone changing the orientation of their phone then immediately taking the photo and not allowing the phone to reorient itself (I need to update the help topic with that nugget).  This could be the case here.  It could also be a recent software change on Apple's end creating an incompatibility, or an issue with the PHP on the server.  I need to update that over the next couple of weeks, and a forum software update was also just released.  Once those are both done, and if the issue continues for your photos, I can open a support ticket.

Now back to the latest instalment of "Vlad's car is cursed!" :) 

-John

This might not be curse but rather operator error. I'm finding out these filters are supposed to be reoiled. Maybe the lack of that lead to failure. Oh well. The more I know. 

No old covid mask to strap on the front for temp fix?

This car (and filter) has been through a lot with the PO(s). It looks like aggressive cleaning and possibly a passer-by poking his fingers in there (neighbor's child named Dennis?).

Unoiled makes the filter less effective but has no effect on foam wear. No damage from ingesting the small amount of missing foam, but you could fit screens to the trumpets if it is a concern.

Foam filters normally are fully supported inside and have a protective mesh over the top that would have prevented this failure. Piper cross is a supplier for a replacement but likely just as delicate. Borla makes a well designed carbon air box but that is all it is and would put the filter outside the bonnet.

I'd make a K&N type (unpleated if keeping sausage shape) replacement. I'm surprised nobody is making one for this.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/25/2022 at 5:51 AM, MV8 said:

No old covid mask to strap on the front for temp fix?

This car (and filter) has been through a lot with the PO(s). It looks like aggressive cleaning and possibly a passer-by poking his fingers in there (neighbor's child named Dennis?).

Unoiled makes the filter less effective but has no effect on foam wear. No damage from ingesting the small amount of missing foam, but you could fit screens to the trumpets if it is a concern.

Foam filters normally are fully supported inside and have a protective mesh over the top that would have prevented this failure. Piper cross is a supplier for a replacement but likely just as delicate. Borla makes a well designed carbon air box but that is all it is and would put the filter outside the bonnet.

I'd make a K&N type (unpleated if keeping sausage shape) replacement. I'm surprised nobody is making one for this.

Thank you for that info. I'll be less concerned about new filter going unoiled. 

It was less than direct to find a replacement but ordered the same unit except they switched to plastic for inside structure now

IMG_20221121_183842142.jpg

IMG_20221121_183846761.jpg

IMG_20221121_183920384.jpg

Edited by Vovchandr