Took my BdR to Japan

Minnis

I’m doing a two year tour in Tokyo and shipped my BDR Caterham over. I found the only house in my town with a garage available so I lucked out. I just ordered a km speedo dial and am working on getting it legal over here. Expecting to have a lot of fun in the mountains (9 miles from my house) with it. I couldn’t find any battery specs (cca) for it online nor translate the labels here so I purchased a unit that fits. Endlessly searching for a set of 13x7 108 Minilites for fulltime use. I did pass a Caterham dealer (because there are plenty here!) 23 miles away (2hrs by car or train) while it and I were being flatbedded home from the port. Can’t wait to go on drives! I did see another one across the street from my Air Base- Japan is thick with them!

C8A0578F-273C-4021-B37F-3F50C84A1FCA.jpg

6A0A0838-FB8D-4B32-AB54-10DA9096542E.jpg

4F78EAA2-9CDA-4015-8993-BC2B72C45060.jpg

Gee that garage is a veritable warehouse by Tokyo standards. You are lucky in that you are on the outskirts of Tokyo so it makes a car feasible to enjoy. I lived in the center of Tokyo and driving was always a congested affair that made it no fun.

Enjoy your time there - it was a great experience for me.

Wow, so cool! I am looking forward to many more posts and pix. If it takes 2 hours to go 23 miles, its not a driver's paradise, at least in the congested parts. I thought Japan had stringent licensing rules/tests for drivers? Does your American license qualify you, or are there tests awaiting?

Thanks for the replys. The driver’s license was a simple class and test as American military stationed there- I’m an AF medical officer. In the congested Tokyo areas it’s terrible for driving, but there are endless switchbacks in the mountains.

A couple of resources:

SOCJ, the Seven Owners Club of Japan is quite expensive to join. They seem to focus on track days. Don't know much beyond that, but I like their logo. :)

http://www.socj.jp

their latest YouTube video of a "brunch":

Seven Meeting Place is like a bulletin board-type chat room thing, where group drives are sometimes organized regionally. I think you have to register for this one, but otherwise no cost.

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/group/super7/

Edited by Sean