2019 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

rcollum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope 2019 is not an extension of 2018, weather-wise. The first Katie's of 2019 was hampered by rain, but the loyal core group still showed up. On a positive note, it wasn't too cold, and it was not actively raining.

The gray Porsche was one of four factory racers - very rare!

--Bob Collum

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7688.jpg

It was cold this morning - 27 degrees. No wind, but snow is coming this afternoon. Why didn't I drive the Seven this morning? Because it was 27 degrees. Why didn't I drive the Elise? The Elise, which has been on its CTEK charger all along, would not start this morning. Grrr…. So, I drove my wife's Smart ForTwo. Not impressed with the performance? Well, it's a rear-engined, 2-seater, 1650 lb. car. Still not convinced? OK, it fits in our two-car garage, with the Elise and the Seven!

--Bob Collum

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7730.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Mike:

It's a project vehicle from Virginia Tech - they trailered it. I didn't have a chance to talk to them about the details, but heard it used a 42 hp Yamaha motorcycle engine.

--Bob Collum

Edited by rcollum

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I've never taken a 5-week vacation before!

Yes, that was a new NSX. You're right, it's not very recognizable. On the Lotus forums, people went crazy, because it looks quite a lot like the proposed new Esprit developed during the evil Bahar's tenure.

--Bob Collum

It's March, and I say it's time for better weather. It seems like we've had rain practically every weekend since the middle of last summer. Who do we contact to fix this?

Cold and misty today, but (as often on bad-weather Saturdays), German cars came out in numbers. Lots of BMWs, including a new BMW 8 Series.

--Bob Collum

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

I have to say, the new BMW's have (mostly) taken a page from Acura's playbook: give the car styling that is as bland, inoffensive and generic as possible. Such a shame. Compare to Audi, which somehow makes attractive, fresh looking cars, year after year, that copy no one.

I agree it is better than deliberately making a new car ugly (see the new Toyota Supra as a prime example of ugly-I liked it better in camouflage-I wonder if that is a paint option:))?

I think the new NSX has been a disaster at least in the US, dealer offer $40k off retail. I read a report that in 2018 Audi has sold close to 1000 R8's Acura had sold about 150 NSX Ouch.

Graham

This morning, I took my Elise to Katie's for the first time this year. We had snow last night, but the streets were dry when I left home, and the temperature as above freezing - 34F, in fact. This is what passes for good weather here, lately.

It seems like, when it's cold & wet & snowy, almost all the cars that show up to Katie's are German.

--Bob Collum

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Amazing! We had a cool, clear Saturday, and the biggest Katie's by far this year! A few Lotus, and several Lotus people there today, the day before St. Patrick's Day! The cars filled up the lot, and went all the way around the square. Lots of variety, too!

--Bob Collum

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A pretty good day for Lotus at Katie's. In addition to my (freshly detailed) Elise, there was also an Exige with carbon doors, which I had never seen, as well as an Evora.

Steve M. returned with his amazing Lotus Omega! (No Sevens today!)

--Bob Collum

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

I have to wonder what made someone do this to their car. The wing... look at the angle on it! Note that the exhaust has been re-routed to the rear valence, flanking the license plate. Finally, the 'speedster-style' windshield appears to have been done by using a Sawzall on the pillars, and the (I think) plexiglass windshield. With the windshield frame no longer providing any support, I have to think this 'Ultimate Driving Machine' has the chassis rigidity of a grilled cheese sandwich! Kudos!

--Bob Collum

IMG_0846.jpg

Edited by rcollum

It rained through the night last night, but stopped 20 minutes before I left home to go to Katie's. As a result, Cars & Coffee got a late start, and was limited to not much more than a full front lot. Still, there were some nice cars there!

--Bob Collum

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

My friend Pete brought his beautifully restored Sprite.

--Bob Collum

Your friend has a nice looking Bugeye, my first car was a '61 that I bought for $275 so I have a soft spot for those. Thanks for sharing your photos Bob.