2019 Katie's Cars & Coffee Thread - Great Falls, VA

rcollum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite cars (and people) were there today! On the second picture, you can't tell, but the black fender barely visible is a Lamborghini Urus coming in - passing its grandfather, the Espada.

--Bob Collum

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_1003-2.jpg

What started out as an overcast Saturday morning turned into a pretty nice day at Katie's. My friend Gavin and his daughter Scarlett drove out in their Seven.

--Bob Collum

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A good day at Katie's. Tomorrow, (05/19/19, starting at 10:00AM), we will hold GYLO 17 on a back lot at Katie's, and it will be another good day! (We had 3 Lotus there today; we hope to do MUCH better for the Get Your Lotus Out event tomorrow!)

http://novalotusclub.freeforums.net/thread/530/gylo-17-sunday-19-2019

I will have a special prize for the Seven in attendance, that gets the most votes as 'favorite'. (My Seven will not count in this voting!)

--Bob Collum

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Two Sevens there today - my Caterham, and Chuck S's Westfield.

An interesting overhead shot of a Corvette ZR-1.

Would you trade your occasional Seven problems for troubleshooting a Stanley Steamer?

--Bob Collum

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

Would you trade your occasional Seven problems for troubleshooting a Stanley Steamer?

Maybe not. Interesting photo of the plumbing. Let it cool? Know which valve to shut to avoid a lobster effect? I don't even see the odd towel around. I wonder if California counts that as a near zero pollution vehicle?

A beautiful sunrise at Katie's, this morning.

At Katie's today, a guy we know - ZR-1 driver Phil, collapsed inside Katie's. The Great Falls Emergency Squad (luckily, right across the street) came right over. Seems like a heart incident. He was conscious and coherent when he left - a good sign - and they took him to a local hospital. Two good things accompanied this frightening event -

1.) Fellow Corvette guys talked to Phil before he left, and volunteered to get his car home and safe. I know that took one of his worries away.

2.) I was VERY happy to see that no one was parked along the sides of the entrance road to Katie's from Georgetown Pike. People had been parking their cars on both sides of this road in recent weeks, and it makes it difficult to get traffic in & out. Thankfully, the ambulance and fire truck had a clear shot in to pick up Phil, and get him to the hospital.

--Bob Collum

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

Katie's update: Phil, who was taken away from Katie's in an ambulance on Saturday, is home and OK. He did yard work all day Friday, without drinking enough water. His problem was being dehydrated, and he's taking care of that. He said he'd be back at Katie's soon.

--Bob Collum

Katie's update: Phil, who was taken away from Katie's in an ambulance on Saturday, is home and OK. He did yard work all day Friday, without drinking enough water. His problem was being dehydrated, and he's taking care of that. He said he'd be back at Katie's soon.

This is a much more common problem that people think. If you're in the heat and not peeing every hour to two, you are not drinking enough water. There is an easily found chart (military) that shows urine color. Cloudy thinking is an early symptom, so not advisable to drive a 7. For autocross, I tow (in Texas) once we are over 95 degrees. I normally drive out. But, standing in 100 degree heat all day COULD make the drive home dangerous. So, I tow in AC comfort in the afternoon. Take into account the wind. A 7 in freeway traffic demands 100% concentration, not a bit woosy.

Glad the Vette driver is OK.

I would call this morning's weather PERFECT! It was 63F on my drive to Katie's, and the drive was glorious.

Jeffrey Hammer didn't drive his Esprit, but he did bring his cute new Golden Retriever, Lucy.

We are always happy to see an F40.

--Bob Collum

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Something new at Katie's this week - two Chevy low-riders. A couple of local guys did these two Chevrolets, IN THEIR GARAGE. Particularly amazing when you notice the high quality of the paint jobs. Not my thing, particularly, but you have to admire the quality and dedication! The hydraulic units in the trunk - run by 8 car batteries - are from WWII-era airplane landing gear assemblies. I still think I'd be nervous, if I was the guy with the GT3 parked next to them.

The 4th car is a weird one - called a 'Vaydor", it's an Infiniti G35 subframe, with a Chevy LT4 small-block V8, with a strange Lamborhini-esque body.

--Bob Collum

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Bob Morris, the founder of this cars & coffee event, displayed a beautiful wood carving of his one-of-one car, a Godsal. The actual car is at Wayne Carini's shop, undergoing a full restoration. We hope to see it when it's finished, maybe next year. The two Superlights were there - mid-engined, Corvette V8 power.

Chuck S. drove his Westfield. I had my Elise today.

--Bob Collum

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

My 'regular' laptop (the one with my photo software) is on the fritz, so no pictures from today, yet. A shame, since today was a Lotus-fest! I will post my pics, as soon as I get the laptop back.

There were two Elises, an Exige and an Exige S, an Elan, an M100, and Steve drove his Lotus Omega! I made contact with several people, and hope to get them active in our local group.

--Bob Collum

• 2 weeks later...

My laptop is back - here are pics of the Lotus at Katie's from 07/13/19.

We don't see old Elans very often, and nobody regularly sees M100 Elans; how about that Lotus Omega?

--Bob Collum

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was away last week, and was told I missed a good bunch of Lotus at Katie's. This week wasn't too shabby, either!

Catsailr27, from LotusTalk.com, brought his Storm Titanium Elise up from North Carolina...

--Bob Collum

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

Foggy and humid this morning, but we still had a lot of cars show up. Only two Lotus, including my Elise, though... Everybody loves the Stanley Steamer!

A nice Alvis... I liked the license plate on the Aston.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The first day of a 3-day weekend is ALWAYS busy at Katie's, but today was insane! Gavin S. came out with his Seven, and brought Craig, the head chef of the British embassy. Chuck Stone was there with his Westfield. There were several Eliges there today, but I didn't recognize any of them.

--Bob Collum

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg