2019 Sevens HPDE - Save the Date for June 28-30, 2019

Croc

Word on the street is that a new hi spec Birkin is getting close to completion and may be coming East soon. So assuming my impeccable source is correct and Tom C doesn't slack off, I'm going to add this car and driver to our list of NJMP attendees. That will bring the number up to 21, with still quite a few others that have been there or had hoped to make it last year. FEO7, Dave D, Carl B, Dermot, Inchoate, DrewBrees, Blake and FredM. I'm hoping you are all working hard on your cars and will step up and join us. :smash:

Working on it. Just refreshed the suspension. What are the car and driver requirements for this event?

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15160&stc=1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Working on it. Just refreshed the suspension. What are the car and driver requirements for this event?

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15160&stc=1

Car, a Se7en. Car has to pass tech, and they have gotten stricter this year. In Date harnesses or street belts. No leaks, battery secure, positive terminal covered. Tires, brakes, bearing etc, all is good condition. Roll bar over the top of the helmet. arm restraints.

Driver, Closed face Helmet at least 2010 or newer, Valid drivers license, Long pants and closed shoes. Drivers suit is optional. As to skill level, give Mike and I a heads up on your experience. If you have not been on track yet. We will have you run with the novice group first to give you a chance to learn the track and your car at track speeds. There is no passing in the novice group, so you can learn the track without having to be concerned with the cars behind you. We have had several guys start in novice and be approved to move up into the Sevens only group. But there you have to be able to watch your mirrors for other cars.

It's fun group of drivers of all skill levels. It's not a race, we are just having fun. It's nice to go out and safely drive you car to your level and not have to worry about a huge, mustang or corvette looking to run you over on the straights. The cornering speed is usually determined by driver skill, the straight line speed by the car's power. Most do around 100 to 125 or so on the straights. The fun is in the corners and playing with other sevens.

Mike and I will be happy to answer any questions . He's playing at Spa today so he'll chime in later I'm sure. Tom

Car, a Se7en. Car has to pass tech, and they have gotten stricter this year. In Date harnesses or street belts. No leaks, battery secure, positive terminal covered. Tires, brakes, bearing etc, all is good condition. Roll bar over the top of the helmet. arm restraints.

Driver, Closed face Helmet at least 2010 or newer, Valid drivers license, Long pants and closed shoes. Drivers suit is optional. As to skill level, give Mike and I a heads up on your experience. If you have not been on track yet. We will have you run with the novice group first to give you a chance to learn the track and your car at track speeds. There is no passing in the novice group, so you can learn the track without having to be concerned with the cars behind you. We have had several guys start in novice and be approved to move up into the Sevens only group. But there you have to be able to watch your mirrors for other cars.

It's fun group of drivers of all skill levels. It's not a race, we are just having fun. It's nice to go out and safely drive you car to your level and not have to worry about a huge, mustang or corvette looking to run you over on the straights. The cornering speed is usually determined by driver skill, the straight line speed by the car's power. Most do around 100 to 125 or so on the straights. The fun is in the corners and playing with other sevens.

Mike and I will be happy to answer any questions . He's playing at Spa today so he'll chime in later I'm sure. Tom

Harnesses are Schroth Profi II-FE ASM, good until 2023. Doesn't leak. Battery secure and terminal covered. Tires, brakes, and bearings good. Need a helmet but that's easy.

Of more concern, need a taller roll bar which is slightly complicated because the previous owner mounted a radiator and tank in the rear for the intercooler. Probably can overcome this provided the roll bar doesn't need to be certified but it would be built to some standard. Also would need arm restraints, how does that work?

I have years of experience on track, riding a motorcycle! Happy to drive in the novice group though, it makes sense, also I understand and enjoy that a trackday is not a race. Hopefully it's not too much work to make it happen, any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15161&stc=1

Motorcycle.jpg

Never seen them check certification of the roll bars. But your safety dictates that it should be a good one. Arm restraints are easy, Croc and I both have several extra pairs. I'll hold one for you. They just slip thru the shoulder harness before latching.

Learning the tracks are simple. Watch some of our Youtube videos and you will quickly pick them up. Only two left hand turns on each track. All other turns are righnt handers.

We usually do a follow behind for the first few laps for those who haven't been to NJMP before. Croc and I lead a group or two out and gradually pic up the pace over several laps, to familarize you with the turn in and braking points. Works well. Again, the Novice group is also a good way to get the feel of the car and track, and is best for those who have never been on track with traffic before. Looking behind you is not second nature when you are trying to learn a track, the car and are at speed. Like drinking from a fire hose, too much information. at least for my small brain.

Good to know. Looks like I'm out. :(

Harnesses are from 2001 and i have small drip from the bell housing that I doubt I'll troubleshoot/fix in time. It would either be the rear main seal on engine or one of the main quaife seals.

Good to know. Looks like I'm out. :(

Harnesses are from 2001 and i have small drip from the bell housing that I doubt I'll troubleshoot/fix in time. It would either be the rear main seal on engine or one of the main quaife seals.

You still have a couple months to sort it out. I just replaced the harnesses in my orange car and will replace the ones in the yellow car shortly. Caterham has a set for our cars in stock and at a reasonable price, compared to the Schroth ones I put in Orange. It's not a hard job. Six bolts and you have to take the seat base and track out. but other than that it's a hour job at most, usually less.

If you go with the caterham harnesses, don't forget to add the sub belts to your order. the harnesses are 4 point and you need to add the sub belts to make it a five or six point. another 25 bucks or so.

As for the leak, is it a constant drip? one of our guys had a couple drops per hour and he just fitted a "diaper" under it. took a rag and tie wrapped it on to keep it off the track. Now if it's a serious leak, then you definitely need to fix it.

Edited by yellowss7

You still have a couple months to sort it out. I just replaced the harnesses in my orange car and will replace the ones in the yellow car shortly. Caterham has a set for our cars in stock and at a reasonable price, compared to the Schroth ones I put in Orange. It's not a hard job. Six bolts and you have to take the seat base and track out. but other than that it's a hour job at most, usually less.

As for the leak, is it a constant drip? one of our guys had a couple drops per hour and he just fitted a "diaper" under it. took a rag and tie wrapped it on to keep it off the track. Now if it's a serious leak, then you definitely need to fix it.

Just went to Caterham parts to price it out. It looks reasonable and might add it to the currently pending order already (with Chris @ Redline)

I've done the job and it really was quite a major PITA for a single person to align the holes and every time taking the seat in and out I end up further scuffing out the center panel cover and would rather not go through it.

Isn't there a way to re-tech the belts? I've heard of the procedure never done it. Wouldn't be surprised if it requires taking them off and sending them somewhere, which is still same amount of work.

Drips are minor and occasional. A few drops an hour at most. If the diaper solution is an accepted solution, it could be the bandaid that prevents this from being a preventing issue.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple things:

1. My track calendar shows Lightning on Saturday the 29th and Thunderbolt on Sunday the 30th

2. NJMP may require arm restraints for both driver and passenger. It would be wise to bring a set.

I am in the middle of writing up instructions and details - should be finished tomorrow once I have finished buying a car today.

Seems I remember a post about a new project a couple weeks ago. Someone with a handle similar to Alligator denied it and insisted there was nothing new in the works. NOW there is something new. Hardly seems fair, with such a collection already. Giving anything up?

Nah...just swapping over my daily driver SUV. I was having trouble finding one I liked plus negotiating a price that was acceptable.

I don’t get too excited about it - it’s a kitchen appliance to me. Give me a classic car any day.

It is reality, here are a couple of pictures. It is a Birkin Clubman XS (wide body), this is a track only car with 2.5L Duratec 260hp and standard 5 speed gearbox. I have a shakedown track day planed for High Plains Raceway, about an hour east of Denver, for this Sunday. Just waiting on the 3 piece wheels and switch labels to complete the car, then it will be shipped to NJMP. The last picture is a preview of what Tom G. will see a lot of:) Let the banter begin.

Tom C.

20190410_115935.jpg

20190410_115957.jpg

20190410_111318.jpg

20190410_120010.jpg

Beautiful high spec Birkin, Tom. Great graphics and color! Cant wait to see it on the track at NJMP harassing Caterhams and Stalkers:). I wonder who the lucky buyer is? How much $ for something in this ball park-if that's not an impolite question?

Vovchandr- make sure you get the 5th (or 6pt ) crotch strap fitting if you are going to attend this event. New requirement I found out about today.

Looks like I need to order arm restraints and 6pt additions now too. Noted