Half hoods

Glenn

Sorry in advance for asking a question undoubtedly asked before. I just got my car a couple of weeks ago, a 360R.

Is there a best choice for a half hood? I see two kinds; one has a zipper, one does not.

The upholsterer who made my half-hood flatly refused to put in zippers. He felt the stresses in the installed hood would destroy the zippers fairly quickly. Instead, I installed nylon buckles in the rear mounting straps. for ingress/egress, I un-clip the buckle (and sometimes one or two snaps on the windshield) climb in, then reach around behind me and re-clip the buckles and any snaps. Easy enough. I can do the same for a passenger, too.

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

rzempel - Randall

May I ask what your upholsterer charged you to make your half hood. You're in WA and I'm in FL, and just looking for a ball park starting figure. Thanks!

John

Edited by Vintageant

Here's a data point for you. I priced 1/2 hoods last week. Soft Bits didn't respond. Thundersports did.

Standard SV 1/2 hood vinyl 191.67 pounds exc. VAT

Standard SV 1/2 hood mohair 208.33 pounds exc. VAT

in stock

Shipping to CA was 60 pounds.

EDIT: Just received a note from Soft Bits this morning so thought I'd better add it.

Standard SV 1/2 hood 166.67 pounds exc. VAT

estimated 4 week lead time

Shipping to CA was 58.60 pounds.

Andy

Edited by ashyers
added info

.........My car is an SV and I'm 6'1" but thin and pretty limber.

Thought I should "weigh-in" Pun intended! on this topic for those researching half-hoods in the future. I ordered the soft=bits without zippers, and at about 210 lbs and 6'3" AND after hip replacement, I have NO TROUBLE getting in or out. I'm not thin or limber, but the wife and I use the half hood much of the time--mostly for some shade as we live in Florida and drive the Cat7SV year round, and find the entry and egress no problem even now at 68 years old.

Thought I should "weigh-in" Pun intended! on this topic for those researching half-hoods in the future. I ordered the soft=bits without zippers, and at about 210 lbs and 6'3" AND after hip replacement, I have NO TROUBLE getting in or out. I'm not thin or limber, but the wife and I use the half hood much of the time--mostly for some shade as we live in Florida and drive the Cat7SV year round, and find the entry and egress no problem even now at 68 years old.

I'd like to add a small (double pun) anecdote about an S3 and myself. I'm 5'7 on a good day with the regular S3. It's an interesting experience getting in with the half hood on (SBFS). I actually have to take the steering wheel off (removable) to make it easier.

With that said, I'm a big fan of the SBFS half hood. For the price you can't beat the people who are so familiar with them and do them all the time. I'd be quite surprised if you can find a local shop that can do this job without having done it before and do anywhere near as close a good job for similar or even lesser price than soft bits. Double that point if you're trying to have some kind of custom design like I did with the stripe.

Agreed on the notion of having some local upholstery shop make up a soft top vs buying one from a vendor with proven experience. I bought my half-hood from Thundersport and couldn't be happier with the fit and quality of workmanship. For example, there is a specially-shaped seal integrated into the leading edam of the hood that seals up to the top of the windshield frame. I doubt a local upholstery guy would/could duplicate that.

Caterham 7 ENS at Cars and Cafe med.jpg