Registry for Caterham 7's

Scott Stoddard

I don't believe there is one. This is one of the most compelling places to have most owners in one place and I don't recall seeing one here.

With that said, if you really want it to be successful it would need to be an independent site to which you can link from forums and/or facebook, where people would be able to add themselves without further registration. (if they aren't a forum member for example).

Internet is a fickle thing and people are easily discouraged to do things even if it requres a 30 second registration, especially if there isn't a direct benefit for them for doing so.

Edit:

I saw that you have international in there as well. There is a registry of sorts for SLR's and other special models. US doesn't apply as even if you have a "real superlight R" they don't qualify due to their nature of shipping and assembly. They get built as one by request of new owner but not as a factory build, so they are essentially replicas, which is what mine is. This is why some came with rear spare wheels even though an SLR would never have one and the motor is US Zetec instead of a UK version.

http://www.thecaterhamregister.net/

And I believe other forums have started some sort of a rollcall for themselves on the UK side of things.

Edited by Vovchandr

There is a registry of sorts for SLR's and other special models. US doesn't apply as even if you have a "real superlight R" they don't qualify due to their nature of shipping and assembly. They get built as one by request of new owner but not as a factory build, so they are essentially replicas, which is what mine is. This is why some came with rear spare wheels even though an SLR would never have one and the motor is US Zetec instead of a UK version.

http://www.thecaterhamregister.net/

Hold on there! Your statement is not quite correct. My 2000 Superlight #123 is listed on the Lotus 7 club's SL registry. I ordered it and assembled it here in the states, and I did import a Rover K series VHPD motor for it. So it's a Superlight by designation but specced to SLR levels. So It is possible to have a original Superlight here in the US. BTW mine is Left hand drive as well and I have the original Mike Barnby magnesium wheels. If you click your link above, and select the Superlight tab, you'll see my car #123 listed. Tom

Edited by yellowss7

Hold on there! Your statement is not quite correct. My 2000 Superlight #123 is listed on the Lotus 7 club's SL registry. I ordered it and assembled it here in the states, and I did import a Rover K series VHPD motor for it. So it's a Superlight by designation but specced to SLR levels. So It is possible to have a original Superlight here in the US. BTW mine is Left hand drive as well and I have the original Mike Barnby magnesium wheels. If you click your link above, and select the Superlight tab, you'll see my car #123 listed. Tom

Some muddy waters on the issue

According to the Caterham archivist himself in regards to my car when I started a debate on PH

"Your car is a USA version of the Superlight R. The main differences vs the standard SLR spec are the engine (Zetec vs VHPD) and exhaust (rear exit vs side exit). Another difference with the standard SLR spec is you have a 5-speed box vs the standard 6-speed. Its not clear whether 5-speed was the standard USA spec – but all 3 USA SLRs I have looked at recently have 5-speed boxes.

Reference the discussion on Pistonheads, I have records of plaques numbers for 127 SLRs. These do not include any USA SLRs, and in fact only 3 of the cars are RHD models: one each to Belgium, Jordan & Venezuela. The last issue is actually #129, as there is no record of issuance of numbers 7 or 52. Of the 127, 60 were supplied as complete kits and 67 were factory built. The kits had chassis numbers ending 2****, whilst the factory built examples had chassis numbers ending 3****.

There was no dedicated chassis number sequence for the SLR model (for example #22116 is a 1.6 K-Series, #22118 is a R500). The chassis numbering is not entirely random, but neither is it sequential – although generally later plaque numbered cars have higher chassis numbers. If it had been allocated a plaque number, you are would have been around #103."

According to the builder on the state side of things, there was no distinction between SL and SLR on the state side of things, they were interchangeable terms.

So I'm half right it seems with the information that I had.

Here is a "sister car" to mine that was built at the same place to a very similar spec around the same time. It even had a plaque but still had the spare wheel carrier which is an abomination for an SLR

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?9592-2000-Caterham-Superlight-R&highlight=superlight

That red with black stripe SLR might be FE07's car. if not it's twin.

I ordered my car as a Superlight 6 speed, Barnby Mag wheels carbon dash, all the superlight options,and I did the spare delete, etc. I had to order the VHPD spec Dry Sumped Rover K separately of course to get it into the US. My dash plate is the same as all the English Superlights, unlike the US dash plates which I believe are not numbered or say America or something. I did cheat though in that I ordered Clams instead of cycle wings, Which was heresy, and contrary to popular opinion, the tires do just fit under the wings, even with the widetrack front suspension. I'm planning on bringing it and my Orange car to the NJMP event so you will have a chance to compare. Tom

That red with black stripe SLR might be FE07's car. if not it's twin.

It is indeed his car after Chip sold it to him

I ordered my car as a Superlight 6 speed, Barnby Mag wheels carbon dash, all the superlight options,and I did the spare delete, etc. I had to order the VHPD spec Dry Sumped Rover K separately of course to get it into the US. My dash plate is the same as all the English Superlights, unlike the US dash plates which I believe are not numbered or say America or something. I did cheat though in that I ordered Clams instead of cycle wings, Which was heresy, and contrary to popular opinion, the tires do just fit under the wings, even with the widetrack front suspension. I'm planning on bringing it and my Orange car to the NJMP event so you will have a chance to compare. Tom

Interesting. Further proves the point that no two 7's are alike.

Mine has "prisoner" red carpet and custom red Tillets which I still can't figure out who did them, besides other unique features.

I'm not picking on ya, I still clearly consider mine an SLR even though purists on the other side of the pond wouldn't have it. I don't consider it "true enough" to have the plaque nor do I really care for it. Good conversation piece but doesn't really "flow" with other aesthetics.

Back to the original point, I'll gladly participate in a registry. I think there are quite a few in NY and the surrounding tri state area or so. I definitely know of one in Buffalo (who I bought the Aero screen from) and DMV told me there are a few other registered ones in the greater area.

Interesting discussion of SLR (Super Light R) Caterhams. I always assumed my '03 was a SLR but this discussion got me curious enough to look it up. It turns out I have a Road Sport that was sold as a race car only (not street legal) by Caterham. It was a U.S.-only version and complied with the SCCA's somewhat dated concept of what a Lotus 7 race car should consist of (clam shells for instance). I suspect it is even "rarer" than the SLR's are. It was further modified after it stopped competing in E-Production and competed in the STU category. The seller advertised $90K invested (I paid around $24K). So it is really rare, if that's what you can call a mutt:).

Okay:

I was thinking along the lines:

Posting your AM Number

Year, Model, Engine, Trans

and Country and State.

If someone wanted to add additional info

that would be fine, if brief.

The Registey could lead to Regional Get Togethers

and or many other things.

If the Administrator here would allow a

Regisrty Thread, I’d monitor it and if

we get 20 or so entries I’d set up a Website

Scott, you may want to take a ride up our NJMP event this summer and see a good number of them. If Jim shows up, his, mine, and Scott L cars are all Superlights or Superlight Rs.

Even if you don't bring your Caterham you will enjoy seeing 20 plus in the paddock and on track. Any you are correct, no two are exactly alike. Even Simon and Seb's twins are just slightly different. And one is just a little faster than the other. :leaving: Tom

This is our Ninth year of getting sevens together on track. We have our own run group of just sevens. Two day's on track, this year, TBolt and Lightning. Plus maybe a friendly go kart challenge. A few dinners together, lots of fun. Come up.. Tom

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.php?12220-2019-Sevens-HPDE-Save-the-Date-for-June-28-30-2019

Check out the national Thread where you posted your post and look right below it.

Edited by yellowss7

My CSR is formally a CSR Superlight on the factory order papers. It came with more carbon options than a regular CSR. Its also faster than these regular Superlights and Superlight Rs. So there! :p