Sevens Event - NJMP Drivers Club June 28-30, 2019 - Final Event Details

Croc

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John - nothing stopping you other than no mirrors. How will you know everyone is lined up behind you waiting for a point by? :-p

Good point Croc!

One of the annual highlights of the drivers' meeting before this event is the head saftey guy imitating us trying to do point-byes with the arm restraints. It always gets a laugh and I guarantee he will kid us this year also. Basically, you have enough play in the restraint to allow your arm/hand/finger to extend out just a bit, but it's not a full out point bye. The bigger problem is drivers who never/rarely look in their mirrors and cause a huge train of cars held up behind them: but that's a different issue:).

The secret to pointing by with arm restraints is:

1) Go faster

2) put them around your upper arm

Pete the instructor loves to make fun of parts falling off cars but we all know its only Tom that has those issues...:jester:

Non-driving Visitors: Non-driving visitors are required to be registered by NJMP. There is space on the registration pages for this. The fee for non-driving visitors covers all refreshments during the day and a hot cooked breakfast and a high quality dining room lunch at the Clubhouse. It also provides privileges to accompany NJMP accredited/approved instructors in sevens (or the pace car or other vehicles) as a passenger. Passengers are required to have paid the daily visitor fee and comply with the safety requirements of drivers – helmet, arm restraints, and clothing/shoes.

Double question.

1) This isn't just us on track that day, we are sharing it with other cars right?

2) How many instructor cars will be available to give a passenger a ride? I'm obviously not qualified to take on a passenger but the decision of my +1 hinges on whether she'd get to share the experience of going around the track as well.

Edit: might as well follow up here, who has experience with renting tow vehicles and from what service? I'm on the fence about driving vs towing. I have a trailer I can use but no tow vehicle, so going to shop around now.

To answer:

1) Its a regular Drivers Club member day. There are 5 sessioned run groups designated - Green (Beginner), White/Blue (Intermediate), Sevens (us - intermediate rules), Red (Advanced), and Open Wheel (usually break within 5 mins). Each group runs exclusively within their sessioned slot. You will be in a group sharing it with other sevens on track. You will not be on track with the big cars - that was the objective Tom and I wanted from the beginning. It can be intimidating being on track with some full size cars when passing so a sevens-only session has proven to be a really good thing.

2) Instructor cars - Tom and I are instructors with sevens. Tom will have his original yellow Caterham plus the cheeze doodle Caterham SV. We can find an instructor (Dom or Kevin possibly) to drive the extra if needed. Simon is also an instructor but we would not do that to your better half. John B on this forum is an instructor. With instructor wrist bands we can also go out in white/blue with a passenger if need be. I was planning to get the Mustang out anyway so that is another option. We have always been able to get everyone out for at least one session each day and quite frequently more. One other option I definitely encourage is to go out in the green group in the pace car with the Chief Instructor. Its an Audi RS4 these days and Pete Tremper is Chief Instructor for Porker Club of America so he must know how to drive I suppose? ;)

3) For trailering, I would ping Wemted (Paul) or Seb as they rent trailers from recollection. Personally, given you are coming from Albany (I think), I would tow as the interstates are a haul in a seven. However, if you drive and you break down then I have a solution to get you (one way car rental from PHL airport) and your car (TJ to the rescue) home in the worst case.

Edited by Croc

To answer:

1) Its a regular Drivers Club member day. There are 5 sessioned run groups designated - Green (Beginner), White/Blue (Intermediate), Sevens (us - intermediate rules), Red (Advanced), and Open Wheel (usually break within 5 mins). Each group runs exclusively within their sessioned slot. You will be in a group sharing it with other sevens on track. You will not be on track with the big cars - that was the objective Tom and I wanted from the beginning. It can be intimidating being on track with some full size cars when passing so a sevens-only session has proven to be a really good thing.

2) Instructor cars - Tom and I are instructors with sevens. Tom will have his original yellow Caterham plus the cheeze doodle Caterham SV. We can find an instructor (Dom or Kevin possibly) to drive the extra if needed. Simon is also an instructor but we would not do that to your better half. John B on this forum is an instructor. With instructor wrist bands we can also go out in white/blue with a passenger if need be. I was planning to get the Mustang out anyway so that is another option. We have always been able to get everyone out for at least one session each day and quite frequently more. One other option I definitely encourage is to go out in the green group in the pace car with the Chief Instructor. Its an Audi RS4 these days and Pete Tremper is Chief Instructor for Porker Club of America so he must know how to drive I suppose? ;)

3) For trailering, I would ping Wemted (Paul) or Seb as they rent trailers from recollection. Personally, given you are coming from Albany (I think), I would tow as the interstates are a haul in a seven. However, if you drive and you break down then I have a solution to get you (one way car rental from PHL airport) and your car (TJ to the rescue) home in the worst case.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 + 2 answered fully and well. Looks like going out as a passenger for a run wouldn't be a problem. Something I should know about Simon? :leaving:

Yes coming from Albany. Comfort isn't a concern, I've done far longer stints on bikes in the past and Seven is a luxury car in comparison. Just did 3 hours yesterday to NYST and back, only issue was drowsiness. I have a trailer, but no tow car and it looks to be about $400 as a rough ballpark for me to get a truck rental for the weekend. Not sure if it's worth it just yet. Breakdown is obviously a risk/possibility at which point a tow back would be necessary. If I drive my only puzzle would be to keep the aeroscreen or to put the windshield on and put the aeroscreen on the passenger seat.

And after you put on the windscreen (recommended! I would not want the risk of getting hit by debris on the highway - or you can wear a helmet) side screens are highly recommend for the drive down if you have a set. I will be driving from Hartford and with the side screens in place, a set of ear plugs and a hat it is not too bad.

Vovochandar

The only thing you need to know about me, is that my passenger ride laps come with a British accent, and are a little less time consuming than Croc’s.

Look forward to seeing you this weekend and would be happy to take any guests out on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vovochandar

The only thing you need to know about me, is that my passenger ride laps come with a British accent, and are a little less time consuming than Croc’s.

Look forward to seeing you this weekend and would be happy to take any guests out on track.

:smilielol5:Simon, noted. I look forward to it as well.

Just to be on the safe side another question. I will only have to have the drivers belts in year spec/6pt/restrained since I'm not taking a passenger or will they give me a hard time for the passenger belt being out of year/4pt as a blanket rule to be allowed on the track regardless of whether I will have a passenger?

I have second set of belts but I would rather spend my time elsewhere if I don't have to install them.

Given Simon and I played tag recently and there was never going to be a conclusive winner without a monumental accident, I don't know how he can talk about less time consuming. Given his favorite track chew toy, Sebastien will be available to play, he'll probably decide to Brexit at turn 4 on Thunderbolt on day 1.

Re belts, you may have to point that out to the inspectors that you will not have a passenger or instructor in the car which is why belts dont comply. Bring the spare set anyway in case they go all muppety on us - its been known.

And lastly, Simon is not the only one with an accent. I do the voiceovers for a little reptile on car insurance commercials.

In post #49 of this thread it notes that all non-driving guests must be registered to visit and watch this event. The cost is $50 per guest, per day, and that includes breakfast and lunch. What if a friend/relative just plans to pop in for an hour or two, no interest in breakfast etc.? Still $50, or can they just sign the waiver at the entrance gate and spectate?

Car's ready (I think), inspected by a local garage today, picking up my friend's truck, and a different friend's trailer this week. Registered today. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

-Jeff

In post #49 of this thread it notes that all non-driving guests must be registered to visit and watch this event. The cost is $50 per guest, per day, and that includes breakfast and lunch. What if a friend/relative just plans to pop in for an hour or two, no interest in breakfast etc.? Still $50, or can they just sign the waiver at the entrance gate and spectate?

Technically they need to sign up but you only need the visitor wrist band for meals and track ride alongs. A quick pop in to say hello to a wayward driver seems to be ok for a visitor as you described