Getting atrocious mileage?

Vovchandr

Somehow I am not shocked that you think more clearly asleep than awake. That explains a lot.

Let's face it, I don't need beauty sleep to be as ruggedly handsome as I am. So I have a lot of awake time to do productive thinking. :seeya:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few questions

Are you running a o2 sensor and running closed loop at idle and part throttle ?

Do you have a wideband air fuel gauge installed ? If so what is it reading ?

Hands down the best plugs for the Zetec is Motorcraft SP463 gaped at .050

Tom

Firstly, thank you all for all your help so far.

I have a few questions

Are you running a o2 sensor and running closed loop at idle and part throttle ?

Do you have a wideband air fuel gauge installed ? If so what is it reading ?

Hands down the best plugs for the Zetec is Motorcraft SP463 gaped at .050

Tom

To answer a few questions and catch up on the thread.

Nothing motor wise has been touched since I bought it and sorted out some of the cooling/oil dripping issues.

Part of full disclosure while trying to test/get my radiator fan to kick on I very briefly might have hit the upper temp range a few times before shutting it off. Small chance of a blown head gasket? (yet to be tested but temperature is fine/lower now if anything. I put in a lower temp thermostat too).

Performance wise over the last ~500 miles it has been pretty much consistent. Certainly peppy/fast but not certain if its running 100%. Certainly dont randomly break traction under throttle with the alleged ~200hp+ per original builder.

I don't know how my O2 is running. i can only assume it does its regular open/closed loop procedure.

No wideband installed. I have some kicking around from other projects so it might be a good idea to put that in.

I'll do the new plugs as one of the first things in further troubleshooting/partitioning.

Vacuum trick has gotten most of the crud out!

I once reasoned that, since I did not have a catalytic converter, I could run leaded gas in my Zetec(:. That messed up the O2 sensors and performance went away. Maybe just replace the O2 sensors and see if that helps?

He said he had a o2 sensor if he does then its running closed loop , Car starts in open loop , times out to closed loop , the o2 controls the closed loop fueling at idle and part throttle then past a giver RPM or TPS depending on how he has it set up changes to open loop for WOT

Tom

Are you sure the O2 is narrow band? The Pectel is pretty sophisticated so i'd be surprised if it doesn't use a wide band and have an interface that shows live AFR, or better yet, log it.

-John

Are you sure the O2 is narrow band? The Pectel is pretty sophisticated so i'd be surprised if it doesn't use a wide band and have an interface that shows live AFR, or better yet, log it.

-John

He might have the higher end pectel that uses the 5 wire wide band , he can look at the wideband and tell , 4 wire or 5 wire on the stock o2 sensor

A log to see what the o2 is doing would be the first thing I would be doing

Tom

Quick updates.

Changed the plugs to recommended Motorcraft SP463 gaped at .050.

Drove it highway 20 miles, went through 1.9 gallons.

Drove back on secondary roads as another way to partition to see if its something to do with higher RPM/6spd gearing. Haven't had a chance to refill it but will post that data once I have it.

http://www.usa7s.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15347&stc=1

Currently looking into all the Pectel Data logging software and profiles and ordering the cable to make it all work.

Didn't have a chance to cross reference the o2 sensor but I looked this morning and it's a 4 wire OEM Ford.

VVh5pGW.jpg

Still looking into things but a small update

Decided to double check my injectors to eliminate that as a variable. I knew they got swapped to high impedance (I checked that long ago) but was time to make sure they were correct overall.

They check out. (I believe)

Denso 968F-AC

https://www.injectorplanet.com/products/denso-2881

14.3 Ohm resistance

21.1 lb per hour

Flow rates @ 43.5 psi / 3 bar

Yes 10-14 Ohm would be High Impedance Injector

Tom

I thought impedance was spot on but couldn't be sure of the other values were proper, (LB/PSI). Thanks for confirming.

Before I keep troubleshooting through the weekend and next weeks can anybody (Tom?) tell me if my lower temp thermostat could be a factor?

As of right now here is whats pending.

• Getting my communication cable today to communicate with Pectel T2 ECU > get software to work with windows, get a profile on there through the weekend. (There are two, data logging and actual changing variables it seems) DescPro + PiToolbox + Offload tool
  • Find my Wideband and find a spot to drill/plug another hole to monitor AFR
  • Compression test the motor
  • Drive a certain distance off the highway at lower RPMs and remeasure the MPG (6spd is at 4k+ at highway, possibly something high RPM Map related)

Edit: Also adding changing fuel filter to the mix... because why not?

Edited by Vovchandr

In addition to what has been mentioned above, I'd confirm that the fuel pressure regulator is doing it's job. If current fuel pressure is much higher than what what was used to create the map, your mpg (and power) will drop.

-John

In addition to what has been mentioned above, I'd confirm that the fuel pressure regulator is doing it's job. If current fuel pressure is much higher than what what was used to create the map, your mpg (and power) will drop.

-John

Good idea, I'll do that too.

Quick question but relevant, the car seems a little hard to start but I always wrote it off as a nature of the beast.

I'll take a video but should the car fire right up like a normal car or is it normal for it to struggle a bit with things like Jenveys? Take what seems like at least a few rotations to get going.

If unusual it could be another symptom of whatever fuel issue.

Just for reference, I had a 2.0 Zetec in my Birkin with Jenvey ITB's, Emerald ECU, and stock cams and my MPG was between 21-22 and 28-29 depending on conditions and how enthusiastic I was. Your MPG is really low and I agree with what's been said before. I'm interested to see what you find.

What I would do first it get the datalogging working and check the STFT1 , This will tell you what the main sensor is doing that control's your idle and part throttle fueling , then install the wideband air fuel gauge , that way if the front o2 isnt responding we can get an idea of your A/F and where to go next

When you get it logging I will be glad to remote into your laptop with teamviewer and take a look at things with you and try to help

Tom