2004 Birkin S3 For Sale - SOLD!

srf86

Hi folks, I am locking this thread and replacing it with a new one.  The car was initially listed for sale 3 years ago, but unfortunately the thread quickly got off topic.  Subsequently the car was pulled from the market due to a combination of a fuel line issue and impact from COVID.  Given srf86 is once again selling the car and has addressed the fuel line issue he identified below, it seems a fairer approach to both him and potential buyers to create a new thread without the irrelevant-to-the-sale baggage that consumes most of the first page.  That new thread will be up soon and this one will remain viewable in case anyone is interested in learning more about the term "OBO" or lawyers.  I will update this message with the link when I have it.

Thanks,

JohnCh 

Dunnell tuned 175bhp fuel injected Zetec

33,600 miles

California emissions approval

This car needs a home with someone who has time to enjoy it!

Located in SE Michigan

8-9-19: Last week I was rudely reminded of how modern gasoline and 15 year old braided stainless fuel lines don’t play well together. I was exercising the Birkin when I noticed a strong odor of gasoline, concurrent with a stream of fuel spurting from a pinhole in the injector feed hose. Fortunately I was able to switch off before anything worse happened. Was I ever glad I’d decided to leave the bonnet off for this short run!

I was lucky this time but it’s apparent that the car needs all the fuel hoses replaced. I simply don’t have the time and I really need to open up some space in the shop. To that end, I’m reducing the price to $22,900 OBO. This represents a great opportunity for someone who’s willing to invest some sweat equity to have a super clean car. Thanks for looking!

Birkin.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

BirkinEng1.jpg

Edited by JohnCh
Locking thread & adding pointer to replacement thread

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon,

If it's available, then my bank account is at serious risk;) She's a beauty.

Do you have any shots of the engine bay or underbody?

I'm impressed with the Dunnell motor, should be a well built, reliable powerplant.

Would it be reasonable to expect it to make the drive to Reno, NV?

Thanks,

Fred

• 2 months later...

8-9-19: Last week I was rudely reminded of how modern gasoline and 15 year old braided stainless fuel lines don’t play well together. I was exercising the Birkin when I noticed a strong odor of gasoline, concurrent with a stream of fuel spurting from a pinhole in the injector feed hose. Fortunately I was able to switch off before anything worse happened. Was I ever glad I’d decided to leave the bonnet off for this short run!

I was lucky this time but it’s apparent that the car needs all the fuel hoses replaced. I simply don’t have the time and I really need to open up some space in the shop. To that end, I’m reducing the price to $22,900 OBO. This represents a great opportunity for someone who’s willing to invest some sweat equity to have a super clean car. Thanks for looking!

Ahh, the joys of se7en ownership:)! Reminds me of my first track day in '07 in my X-flow Cat. A coolant line sprang a leak and shot a steady stream of liquid perfectly aimed at my distributor cap, with the resulting, miss, lack of power, etc. Easily remedied, as yours will be.

I have to give srf86 a shout-out for the 33K miles on this se7en. We see so many with 700 miles, 1100 miles etc., after 5-10 years of ownership. Nice to see this was used and enjoyed. And as anyone who follows my occasional posts knows, I love se7ens with mileage:it's empirical evidence that they are fully sorted. No small thing!

Also, the lawyer in me has to say, the "or best offer" approach is a bit risky. What if it's $1.00? Maybe say "OBO over $20K", or some other reasonable reserve etc? Or list it on BAT where it will bring $29K:)!

Edited by Kitcat

Ahh, the joys of se7en ownership:)! Reminds me of my first track day in '07 in my X-flow Cat. A coolant line sprang a leak and shot a steady stream of liquid perfectly aimed at my distributor cap, with the resulting, miss, lack of power, etc. Easily remedied, as yours will be.

I have to give srf86 a shout-out for the 33K miles on this se7en. We see so many with 700 miles, 1100 miles etc., after 5-10 years of ownership. Nice to see this was used and enjoyed. And as anyone who follows my occasional posts knows, I love se7ens with mileage:it's empirical evidence that they are fully sorted. No small thing!

Also, the lawyer in me has to say, the "or best offer" approach is a bit risky. What if it's $1.00? Maybe say "OBO over $20K", or some other reasonable reserve etc? Or list it on BAT where it will bring $29K:)!

Oh, FFS. Seriously? This is not eBay or a contracted auto auction like Barrett-Jackson. How many "OBO" advertisements do you think have been placed every day of every week since the dawn of used vehicle advertisements? How many have gone to court because of the scenario you are describing?

To the lawyer in you: In this context, define what "or best offer" means.

AP

Lawyers are paid worriers. So we try to anticipate what might go wrong, not just what is most likely to go wrong. So I might substitute: "all reasonable offers will be considered." Or some such, to show that the seller retains discretion to decline low-ball offers.

Lawyers are paid worriers. So we try to anticipate what might go wrong, not just what is most likely to go wrong. So I might substitute: "all reasonable offers will be considered." Or some such, to show that the seller retains discretion to decline low-ball offers.

I am a psychologist who used to treat worriers. When a person articulates that they would consider a best offer, they have not set any time limits so they might be willing to wait a decade for the "best offer".

Kitcat, funny story about a continuing education program I attended many years ago from a psychologist/lawyer who was comfortable wearing both hats. He suggested that lawyers view conflicts as emanating from the client's opposition and so blame them whereas a psychologist suggests to the client that they consider modifying their own behavior. I suspect that the presenter had some cogent insights into the differences in conflict resolution.

Come on Astro Bob - I have 50+ lawyers on my payroll and I am the one who needs a psychotherapist for exactly the type of indecisive multi-layered ill thought logic Kitcat demonstrated. Only HR flunkey are worse.

With all apologies to Gordon for messing with his ad for a really nice looking Birkin - I like the two tone look. Good spec and very competitively priced even with the work required.

With all apologies to Gordon for messing with his ad for a really nice looking Birkin - I like the two tone look. Good spec and very competitively priced even with the work required.

Agreed...someone will get a really sweet deal.

• 2 years later...

Still looking for a good home - back on the market now that Covid seems to be receding from this area.  The offending fuel line has been replaced and she is ready to be enjoyed. The photos really don't do justice to the finer details of this car, such as the blue tinted gelcoat that highlights the fiberglass weave in the fenders.  Price reduced to $21,900 but will entertain all reasonable offers. 

Gordon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1