Save the Date - 2020 Annual Sevens HPDE Event at NJMP - October 17/18, 2020

Croc

Vlad- it actually was an XC60, but also had a tow capacity of 3300. My trailer is a Montrose, and weighs 1700. My Seven is 1200, so I was under.

The Volvo had no issues towing it, and usually averaged around 12-13 mp. And that was averaging 75+mph.

I used (still do) a Tekonsha wireless brake controller. The Volvo wasn’t set up to connect a brake controller, and I’d read horror stories of owners who had their wiring systems hacked into causing all kinds of issues with the car’s computer systems.

I now have a Grand Cherokee with a 5000 lb. tow rating. In some ways, though, I think the Volvo did a better job towing. Although I love my Jeep.

If I find a pic with the Volvo and trailer I’ll post it.

Steve

06A3B410-EF72-458F-BEC3-CBBF5C5EBEC9.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, the slick brake controller you reference Vlad is built to plug and play. But if your tow vehicle is like mine, there is no place for the controller to plug into, even tho mine came with the optional tow package. When I explored adding one to my Touareg, VW said no, ask the trailer place. The trailer place said they knew nothing about VW wiring and wouldnt touch it. And added that my Touareg, which is rated at 7700 lbs towing, would never be able to pull the 4000 trailer/car combo I had, showing how little they knew.

Blue BDA: I think you will need a coupla more feet on the trailer bed. Otherwise it will be hard to strap your car down securely. I use a chris-cross pattern with my straps each of which hooks into D rings a foot away, fore and aft. But maybe there is some tie down trick that would work? BBall's trailer is perfect for Caterhams, but is mega $$$.

I'm in!!

My engine is out in California being rebuilt at the moment. It turns out it did not have a forged crank. Now it's getting a billet crank and we'll try again! We'll get this thing sorted...

Best,

John B

Mike-

If your Touraeg came equipped for towing (had a factory installed electrical hookup by the hitch) their should be an electrical hookup under the dash for you to plug in a brake controller.

Somewhere I have the hook up which plugs right into it with a pigtail that goes into a Tekonsha controller. Let me know if you can use it.

Think I read you have a bluetooth equipped controller?? How exactly does that work?

Jim

Blue BDA: I think you will need a coupla more feet on the trailer bed. Otherwise it will be hard to strap your car down securely. I use a chris-cross pattern with my straps each of which hooks into D rings a foot away, fore and aft. But maybe there is some tie down trick that would work? BBall's trailer is perfect for Caterhams, but is mega $$$.

I'll check it out. They have all different sizes, so probably have (or can make) 5' x 12'.

Thx Jim. I was unable to locate a pre-wired connector and the dealer told me there was none. But, based on your post, I just now googled some more and found a how-to-find-it guide on a Touareg forum. Who knew? The poster said it took him 4 hours to find, it was buried deep behind the dash. At least his dealer knew it existed.

My bluetooth system works seamlessly. I mounted part of it on the trailer tongue and have a controller that plugs into my 12v outlet. How does it work tho? I have no idea, magic???

So true. My old Zetec SVT engine, which made more power than my just-rebuilt SVT, now has a new, high-end oil pump. Since low oil pressure was my motivation for replacing it, I might put it back in to replace the rebuilt one. Decisions, decisions, we shall see.

Of course, that still leaves me 100+ hp shy of what others here are looking for.

Oh there is more than just you and JohnB contemplating engines on workbenches. Simon, Seb, JohnCh, amongst others...

Proof the man is correct. At some point I need to start a thread on the rebuild:

IMG_1313.jpg

-John

So true. My old Zetec SVT engine, which made more power than my just-rebuilt SVT, now has a new, high-end oil pump. Since low oil pressure was my motivation for replacing it, I might put it back in to replace the rebuilt one. Decisions, decisions, we shall see.

Of course, that still leaves me 100+ hp shy of what others here are looking for.

Stick the SVT back in...you know you want it. But more hp only leads to more off-road adventures. Ask me how I know this. :jester:

• 5 months later...

I'm in for October!

I'm still working on the new engine as our crank failed spectacularly last year. Rather than the high torque, lower rpm stroker engine we had last year we're going oversquare and high rpm this time, which is more up my alley. It'll be a 2.42L Cosworth/Duratec built by Hasselgren but we're using a 2.5L block further bored and a short stroke billet crank (shorter than the 2.3 Cosworth) so the engine should be a screamer. I'm looking forward to dyno results and testing.

Hi John. Sounds like you are going to be social distancing from all of us on the track with that new beast of a motor. Hopefully we will all be in the mood to burn some hydrocarbons to Help get that global warming thing back on track. . Can’t wait. Tom

JB: 9K RPM's? We are all looking forward to the dyno results!

Tom: what's redline on your orange Cosworth Cat, maybe 8.5K?

My Zetec starts to cough around 7.2K.

... and mine was coughing above 5k: which ended up being a dying ignition module. Whose replacement promptly died on it's second drive a month ago. Hopefully third time's the charm.

Luckily I have until October to get this sorted (and see what fails next)