New Build

Pokey

The mystery tube is one of the 2 radiator hoses, it runs from the rear of the engine to the radiator. I seem to remember the manual says install it before putting the engine in, but just put it in after. The 3 other hoses are also coolant but they will be chopped up. There should also be a 5/16" hose for coolant which connects to the water expansion bottle - I didn't get this hose either, but it's cheap and readily available so I ended up buying locally just to keep the project moving.

Some of that hose will be used for oil-breather routing in dry sump applications. It will become obvious once you get into it.

Cheers,

-Bruce

Are you going to include the inventory time in the build time? :lurk:

Somehow I think that four hours of inventorying is going to be a rounding error in the grand scheme of things.

Add a beer to that popcorn and you pretty much have me figured out.

I've got a question regarding caster. I've read the assembly guide from 2015 and see where it states 040 for wide track. I've read the various Internet opinions regarding what to use when, but am hoping to get the opinion of someone who has actually done what they speak of. A 040 gives the maximum negative camber, but is it really going to be that hard to turn the wheel that I need to go to the extreme negative end of the spectrum?

I've got a question regarding caster. I've read the assembly guide from 2015 and see where it states 040 for wide track. I've read the various Internet opinions regarding what to use when, but am hoping to get the opinion of someone who has actually done what they speak of. A 040 gives the maximum negative camber, but is it really going to be that hard to turn the wheel that I need to go to the extreme negative end of the spectrum?

Castor is the "return to center force" for the steering wheel when the wheels are turning. The car is so light that if it's 4 degrees (that they specify) or 6 degrees (that I ended up with after the build and feels fine) it doesn't make a great deal of difference, it's really personal preference as opposed to right and wrong. The angles are set by the # of washers installed on each side the lower wishbone. I ended up doing the standard 2 on each side (check out the explosion on the Caterham Assembly Guide 1.0 pdf page 7.

Sorry, should have been a little clearer. My reference of 040 is how many washers at each of the three possible locations. The manual calls for four washers in the middle position, which pushes the wishbone back as far as possible creating the most negative caster (or least positive if I'm understanding sf4018 correctly in that 040 corresponds to 4 degrees and 222 creates 6 degrees). For the S3 the manual calls for two washers in each of the three positions which would move the wishbone forward.

I'm just trying to figure out whether to use 222 instead of 040 as doing so, in theory, increases stability at speed and more corner camber. Assuming sf4018 has a sv and not a s3 (?) than it sounds like 222 isn't an issue with heavy low-speed steering.

I suspect the variances of the chassis/wishbone between cars would make it unlikely that 222 would always make 6 degrees, 040 4 degrees, so it's probably a guess for now then see what you get on the alignment machine.

Edited by sf4018

I have maximum camber in my S3 Caterham and the steering is very heavy (too heavy, even at speed). I switched to a larger, detachable, steering wheel (that grazes my legs) to get more mechanical leverage in this track-only car. Otherwise I was worn out after one track session of 30'.

It is more likely the issue is toe-in. For track use I would set the front toe-in at zero degrees. You may prefer slightly more front toe-in, but it sounds like you have way too much.

Toe is not the problem. With MikeM's car, it involves caster, and the fact that he has an "Autocross" steering rack fitted. It is a super-quick ratio, so mechanical advantage is much lower. I've always thought that car could be faster at the limit with a less aggressive steering ratio, since the effort would be lower to maintain just the right amount of slip-angle with steering corrections.

Cheers,

-Bruce

That's an interesting fact about my steering rack, Bruce, one I didn't know. As it happens, I have had a brand new wide-track steering rack in the basement, gathering dust for 10 years. I don't think it is the faster, auto-X type I now have. I will check and if it is the normal-speed rack, I will swap it in as I have always hated the huge effort required to steer my car. I compensated somewhat with the larger steering wheel, but it blocks my vision of the instruments and rubs on the top of my legs.

Now back to your regular programming....:).

My advice is to follow the build guide. Mine came out just right. I took it to my alignment guy and the only thing we adjusted was a bit of toe. Ruby handles great so far.

That's the thing, one manual calls for 040 and the other 222.

I settled on 222 for caster. I suspect the difference in steering between 040 and 222 isn't going to be terribly noticeable, at least for a noob like me. An acquaintance in England spoke to the factory and he was told 404 is a good setting, so anything appears to work.

So... I took out 040 and reinstalled 222. I think I've had enough fun with that.

IMG_5358.jpg

I built my own 420 S in 2017, I also got the kit from Bruce Beachman, I live in Carnation, where do you live and if you need any help I would love to see your project. ABuilding my own car was a blast , the English build guide was alittle off but I managed , some calls to Bruce, some Emails to England and a loving wife who let me spend time in my shop. That said, I would love to build another one. Give me a call 425 785 8225 Steven

I built my own 420 S in 2017, I also got the kit from Bruce Beachman, I live in Carnation, where do you live and if you need any help I would love to see your project. ABuilding my own car was a blast , the English build guide was alittle off but I managed , some calls to Bruce, some Emails to England and a loving wife who let me spend time in my shop. That said, I would love to build another one. Give me a call 425 785 8225 Steven

Love to see an all black version, how about posting us a picture here? I was joking with John that color was the hardest part of specifying our build. I really like Caterham's orange, and the more traditional British colors of the 50's and 60's too, but my wife really likes red. So we compromised on red :)

I'm really hoping she falls in love with the way the car looks so much that she is willing to get into it with me... I'm not her favorite driver.