New Build

Pokey

Thanks for the welcome. Look forward to joining the local 7 community. I’ll start a new thread once my build slot is sorted. Have been losing some sleep over Pokey’s predicament but hoping all is sorted soon.

Welcome! I wouldn't be too concerned about what I've experienced. The situation I found myself in is related to COVID. The WSP has suffered temporary layoffs and that has greatly curtailed the number of inspections available so I wound up taking an appointment in Yakima. The inspector there was befuddled by the Caterham is all.

I'm more concerned about getting an appointment before the weather turns than I am about passing the inspection. I've been checking the stations from Tacoma to Marysville several times a day and so far no luck. Bellevue opened up two more days today but between when I checked this morning and this evening they were already booked up.

I imagine that by the time you need an inspection things will be back to normal, or at least more normal. Don't let this blip take the fun out of what you are about to experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Any updates Pokey? Looking like some sunshine next week. Hope you can get out and enjoy it.

I was going to wait to update with what I hope is good news, but I have an appointment this upcoming Wednesday in Bellingham. Fingers crossed I don't get a call from the inspector the day prior like last time! But then again last time my appointment was in Yakima where I'm thinking they don't see much out of the ordinary.

Well that was easy. I didn't even have to unload from the trailer. The inspector took a few minutes to jot down the numbers on the chassis and another 15 minutes or so doing paperwork and that was that. Today or tomorrow I'll take the paperwork down to DMV and see if I can convert it to a plate. I've never done this before so have to assume what I was provided will suffice.

I celebrated with a quick blat up the Mt. Baker highway before heading home.

The great state of Washington has bestowed upon me two license plates. A back plate and a spare back plate :)

Like the WSP VIN inspection, it took two attempts for success at my local DMV. I was organized and seemingly prepared for my first trip, but I hadn't anticipated the insistence on an odometer disclosure statement signed by the seller. The second trip I came armed with two references to state code, RCW 46.12.695(h) and 46.12.665(4)(e), and with an attitude of patient perseverance (aka my Columbo imitation) we settled on my receiving the plates in return for an attestation as to why the seller wouldn't be signing the odometer disclosure. In that attestation I explained the odometer disclosure wasn't necessary as by code a car that had never been sold retail before was exempt. I also had to write a second attestation as to the value.

And with that I do believe this build thread is complete! The build was a blast, and I'd order another kit tomorrow if I could. :auto:

I received a front plate waiver for my car in late 2008. WSP initially denied the request due to feedback from, of all things, a bike-engined Caterham dealer in Canada. I wrote an appeal explaining why that input source was not applicable, provided photos, then waited a month while WSP contacted a US Westfield dealer, the US Westfield distributor, and the UK headquarters, before eventually granting my request. The official waiver letter must be kept in the car and presented with my registration if I am pulled over for that transgression. However, after nearly 20 years of se7en ownership in WA with no front plate, I think it's a non issue for our cars. Fun to have though...

And congratulations Greg. Looking forward to your upgrade thread, which I have a feeling will happen in the not-to-distant future. ;)

-John

Nicely done Greg!! You can bet I'll be reaching out with questions as my build begins and I try to replicate your path. My kit is scheduled to go into production in 5 weeks.

Congratulations. Patience is the best thing to have at the DMS. When rejected, go get what they want and come back. Repeat as needed. Eventually get lucky (you are already right). Now you can drive all you want. :driving:

The great state of Washington has bestowed upon me two license plates. A back plate and a spare back plate :)

Like the WSP VIN inspection, it took two attempts for success at my local DMV. I was organized and seemingly prepared for my first trip, but I hadn't anticipated the insistence on an odometer disclosure statement signed by the seller. The second trip I came armed with two references to state code, RCW 46.12.695(h) and 46.12.665(4)(e), and with an attitude of patient perseverance (aka my Columbo imitation) we settled on my receiving the plates in return for an attestation as to why the seller wouldn't be signing the odometer disclosure. In that attestation I explained the odometer disclosure wasn't necessary as by code a car that had never been sold retail before was exempt. I also had to write a second attestation as to the value.

And with that I do believe this build thread is complete! The build was a blast, and I'd order another kit tomorrow if I could. :auto:

I neglected to add a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has offered advice and answered my questions as I went through the build process. Not only was this helpful, but being able to share my success (and un-success) made the process even more enjoyable. This is a great community! (Even though I suspect we are all a little odd.)

Congratulations. Patience is the best thing to have at the DMS. When rejected, go get what they want and come back. Repeat as needed. Eventually get lucky (you are already right). Now you can drive all you want. :driving:

I put the plate on today, and I have to say it was an odd feeling realizing I could just jump in it and go. I'll get over it :)

Nicely done Greg!! You can bet I'll be reaching out with questions as my build begins and I try to replicate your path. My kit is scheduled to go into production in 5 weeks.

Exciting! Please don't hesitate to reach out if I can help at all.

I received a front plate waiver for my car in late 2008. WSP initially denied the request due to feedback from, of all things, a bike-engined Caterham dealer in Canada. I wrote an appeal explaining why that input source was not applicable, provided photos, then waited a month while WSP contacted a US Westfield dealer, the US Westfield distributor, and the UK headquarters, before eventually granting my request. The official waiver letter must be kept in the car and presented with my registration if I am pulled over for that transgression. However, after nearly 20 years of se7en ownership in WA with no front plate, I think it's a non issue for our cars. Fun to have though...

And congratulations Greg. Looking forward to your upgrade thread, which I have a feeling will happen in the not-to-distant future. ;)

-John

I had never heard of an exemption for a front plate until Lucky Dawg and you mentioned it. Turns out all you have to do is email equipment@wsp.wa.gov with a picture of the front of your car and the details (make, model, etc.) and the State Patrol will review and, if they agree that there isn't a place to mount the plate, issue an exemption. I sent the email a few minutes ago and will post once I hear back, so I guess this build thread isn't quite done yet.

And I'll put it here because I had a heck of a time finding out what others did to mount their rear plate - I used four 1" long strips of 3M dual lock. The plate won't be coming off without some serious prying and I like the idea of not drilling into the skin. And because I had the leftover, I went around the plate with the edge trim I used for the cutouts for the front suspension to give it a finished look.

I had never heard of an exemption for a front plate until Lucky Dawg and you mentioned it. Turns out all you have to do is email equipment@wsp.wa.gov with a picture of the front of your car and the details (make, model, etc.) and the State Patrol will review and, if they agree that there isn't a place to mount the plate, issue an exemption. I sent the email a few minutes ago and will post once I hear back, so I guess this build thread isn't quite done yet.

And I'll put it here because I had a heck of a time finding out what others did to mount their rear plate - I used four 1" long strips of 3M dual lock. The plate won't be coming off without some serious prying and I like the idea of not drilling into the skin. And because I had the leftover, I went around the plate with the edge trim I used for the cutouts for the front suspension to give it a finished look.

When asking for a waiver, the first thing WSP checks is if the manufacturer has a front mount available. You should be pretty safe on this. As for the back plate, I used body side moulding tape. I left a small gap at the corners so any water that gets in can drain out. Works great.

It should be easier to get the waiver these days. Back in 2008, the state didn't like cars running around without a front plate and spent quite a bit of time looking for reasons to deny a request. Since then, they've added a Collector plate option for cars 30+ years old, and don't even issue a front plate for those registrations.

-John