Map with member location

Anker

I implemented a member map for the Caterham and Seven Owners in the USA Facebook group. The map is an interactive Google maps with pins for every member who has agreed to be on the map. Optionally, the member can also supply a short blurb, for example about the car, interests, or anything else, and picture(s) of the car(s). clicking on a pin pops up the information of the member.

It makes it really easy to see who is close. For privacy reasons the location can simply be city, state and country.

Any interest in having that feature here?

We had one access to one on this forum at one point, no idea what happened to it. Also this forum has the ability to do a similar member mapping function from my recent discussions with JohnCh - he was exploring the idea.

Whichever one we use its a good idea.

My only concern is I do not use FacePlant given the privacy issues - is there a requirement to be on FF?

Once we get through the spamming issues we'll look into adding the vBulletin feature for this. It would display forum user names which is an extra layer of privacy compared to the Facebook solution.

-John

With Google Maps it is simple to do an extract from the member "database" and load it into maps. What gets shown is 100% up to the person creating the map. Car pictures can have license plates obscured and are completely optional. I found it easy to use and like the result.

• 1 year later...

I maintain a Google Maps map for the FB group Caterham and 7 Owners in the USA and Canada. I suggest adding the membership here to that map, which will make it more complete.