CR500 to ZZS

Black Hole

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16657[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16660[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16661[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]16662[/ATTACH]

So the question is what is the best tactic to solve this problem. I can try and bend the wing stay (cold or heated), I did a test try a while ago and it seems pretty stiff.

I could move the wing to outboard as it is not centered and I think that would work. i would have to deal with the holes in the fiberglass.

The final solution would be to buy the new stays as they note on the Caterham Parts website that they are for ZZS/R tires. I suspect I would have a hole alignment issue with the wing holes so I would probably be just as easy to move the wing on the existing stay.

Jay,

The rear of the wing looks to have adequate clearance. Why not simply place a spacer between the top of the wing and the upper stay, and replace the mounting bolts with a longer length as/if needed.

Jay,

The rear of the wing looks to have adequate clearance. Why not simply place a spacer between the top of the wing and the upper stay, and replace the mounting bolts with a longer length as/if needed.

Thanks, I will likely try that. There may be a bolt alignment issue with the stays as the wing moves to a "larger diameter"

Thanks, I will likely try that. There may be a bolt alignment issue with the stays as the wing moves to a "larger diameter"

if you only move the top of the wing, alignment issue should be minimal to none. Worth a shot.

If you take this approach then:

1) please shorten the ends of the bolts shown in the photo in post #16. Having protrusions pointing towards the tires like that is slightly alarming even though they should not hit the tire.

2) consider allowances for sidewall deformation on hard cornering.

If you take this approach then:

1) please shorten the ends of the bolts shown in the photo in post #16. Having protrusions pointing towards the tires like that is slightly alarming even though they should not hit the tire.

2) consider allowances for sidewall deformation on hard cornering.

To affirm Cros’s comments, this is ideally what you want to end up with regarding bolt length/protrusion (see photo). While my car is not a Cat, the mounting technique is the same. Also, thin lock nuts aide in providing additional bolt-to-tire clearance if needed....see McMaster-Carr.

7A455840-4086-47EA-9431-D71D7B172F94.jpg2E6E2185-E5A4-46BB-8CBD-F08AD1520CB3.jpg

Edited by xcarguy

J.

IIRC I ordered from ec fiberglass before

Shipping wasn’t bad. But I ordered a dozen to have spares on hand (which have come in handy for other projects)

Ps: would you still like To try out my Tillett for size?

P.

if you only move the top of the wing, alignment issue should be minimal to none. Worth a shot.

I put some spacers in and alignment does become an issue pretty quickly, I could get the bolts in by flexing the wing, but it essentially straightened out the wing between the stays drawing it closer to the tire. The spacers helped but I still have essentially zero gap (you can't really measure with a feeler gauge between the wing and tire as the tire is not rigid). As Croc noted, with distortion I expect it will rub.

Likely headed towards the bighead route as moving the wing outboard should fix the problem. And then I won't have to worry about the long bolts (though they had a large amount of clearance to the old tires, the new tires are listed by Avon as nominally 1.39" larger in diameter and that eats up the margin for error!)

J.

IIRC I ordered from ec fiberglass before

Shipping wasn’t bad. But I ordered a dozen to have spares on hand (which have come in handy for other projects)

Ps: would you still like To try out my Tillett for size?

P.

Did you get it installed? Yes I would like to try it out

Some judicious tugging on the cycle stay arms and a bit of mallet work allowed the fender to clear the tire.

20_03_15_Caterham 7_001.jpg

Best news was it was 50 degrees in CT today and I was able to self isolate and do a test drive to verify it did not rub. The tires felt more responsive than the CR500, but that may just be a placebo effect as I have not driven the car since around October. Not often inside a 7 is the safest place to be :rofl:

• 1 month later...

After excessive fettling I’ve squeezed a Tillett into my narrow body Birkin S3.

It looks good from test fits with my head substantially lower in the car than I could ever achieve by previously removing the seat cushions.

Expectedly- my battery was dead...

I got a B6 without the edges: their narrowest model. It can also be ordered with a “Caterham cut” where they further cut down the sides adjacent to your outer thigh. as ordered it's 40cm wide, the space in my car is ~38cm. After much fettling of the mounting bracket and some custom spacers from TBox i've been able to use the Birkin slider without adding any height.

Just like the passenger seat in 'Orange' it is very comfortable, however even narrower (I can barely fit). A short drive around my neighborhood yesterday felt good without the cushion pads installed.

Unfortunately I awoke to this joke.... So if they've salted the roads it'll be another week before I can take a proper drive.

p.[ATTACH=CONFIG]16869[/ATTACH]IMG_4562 (1).jpg

Edited by wemtd