Weber carb bracket - crossflow

Elise111

Hi folks- I am replacing my downdraft DGV with proper side drafts. There is a mystery bracket between the side drafts that is no longer available from Caterham and no picture seems to exist of it. It has been described as a V shape and mounts below the carbs on the inspection plate.

Does anyone have one that they can take a picture of and add some basic dimensions? Otherwise a picture inside the engine bay from underneath?

Thanks!

Pete

Hi Pete,

The bracket serves two purposes. It holds the two carbs in alignment when they are removed from the manifold, and ay the bottom of the V it holds the outer shield of the throttle cable. In the attached picture you can see the inner throttle cable going up from the place where the outer shield is held. You can also see the two arms leading up towards the bottom of the two carbs. I am not sure what the wire that also is attached to the bracket does. Didn't notice it before. Went out and took another look. It is the bottom of the throttle return spring.

I am sure this is a Weber part and not specific to Caterhams.

Anker

IMG_0408.jpg

Edited by Anker

You will also need the adapter that connects the two butterfly valves and also have an adjustment screw for balancing the carbs. It allows you to control the two carbs with a single throttle cable.

I am sure you can manufacture a bracket yourself if you have reasonable metal working skills.

You may already have that.

Thanks for the picture, I have a much better idea of what this looks like. Gotta love the clever spring retention hole integrated into the cable nipple sleeve. This is a Caterham specific part, not weber. I've contacted Redline UK without success (email and phone), will try again.

Ken at Dave Bean has been very helpful, and gave me a great sketch for Lotus applications. It's for sure different than Anker's picture, so this also points to the Caterham specific part. So my follow on questions:

1. Is the V bracket a tube or a plate with a lip on it? If a tube, does it have flattened ends to fasten to the carbs? If a plate, approx thickness?

2. How does the V bracket fasten to the weber inspection plate? 2 screws on each carb? All 4 each carb? If 2 screws, which 2?

Pete

I'll have to remove the air filters to get a better view of how it is fastened to the carbs.

The bracket is a tube on my car.

• 4 months later...

I bought a Lotus throttle return spring from Dave Bean. It seems very stout, and when I visually compare it to Anker's picture and others it looks like it might be too big. Its a heavy pedal effort and already squeaking during setup. Mine is 0.110in wire. Does anyone have the wire thickness of their throttle return spring handy?

To follow up, the 0.110in wire spring I had was for a Lotus twincam, and much too stout for the crossflow. Plus it was wound the opposite way. Anker gave me some dimensions and I found some music wire / spring steel to make my own from 0.078in stock (bent around a 0.75in dowel to get a 1in coil diameter, and 2in long arms). That should hold me over until my next order from the UK. Thanks Anker!