2005 Caterham SV for sale

Sandfire

I am offering my 2005 Caterham SV up for sale. Fully loaded with unique instrument color, full weather package and a bikini top. 220HP Zetec. 9542 miles. 34K or best offer. Located in Memphis TN. Car is fully registered in TN. PM me with questions.

IMG6 small.jpg

IMG4 small.jpg

IMG1 small.jpg

Edited by Sandfire

Probably partially because it only averages ~666 miles a year.

It is really quite sad when you put it that way....

Andy 69 - I'm in East Memphis and have not been to the track so that might be why we haven't met.

I've had a few questions about the car so I am providing more info for the group.

I purchased the car from a gentleman in Conroe Texas. The car was built by a group of experimental aircraft guys at a hanger in Conroe and the owner of the car, who paid for it, later died and one of his friends helped sell the car. I was active in the Lotus club of Houston (aka LOST – Lotus Owners of South Texas) and a friend of mine and member of USA7s helped me with the purchase. He owns two Caterhams and he was super excited about mine. The car was exceptionally well maintained and I purchased it on the spot in ~2012. I’ve maintained it to their standard and I do drive it regularly to keep it lubed and running well. The only scratches are on the carbon fiber rear wheel rock guards. Otherwise it looks like the day I bought it with about 1500 more miles.

It is a Ford SVT 4 cylinder, tires are like new, 5 speed transmission, Caterham leather seats, no modifications, everything I have goes with it. Covers for the lights, full weather gear, doors, bikini top, heater tubes, carbon fiber side mirrors, 2 sets of 4 point harnesses (3 points are still there), build manual, notes from the builders, and newspaper article from the local paper about their build.

What I like about this car is that it is the perfect canvas for someone that wants to upgrade and/or modify. Everything is currently super stock and I think it could benefit further from a racing stripe and/or more horsepower. 220 was enough for me, but I know you all really love to tinker…

Reasonable offers will be entertained as the price is negotiable.

Vlad: 8 years x 666 miles a year is 5328, not a lot but not all that unusual. The hp of 220 is possible but at the upper limit of a Zetec. Maybe it was built to a higher spec? My SVT Zetec makes about 160 hp at the wheels. I am sure the 220 hp is a flywheel #, so maybe 190 hp at the wheels?

Anyhow, it is a great looking Cat, in great shape and the SV spec is a bonus. If it doesn't sell here, maybe wander over to Bring A Trailer. Caterhams have done exceptionally well there.

It is really quite sad when you put it that way....

Andy 69 - I'm in East Memphis and have not been to the track so that might be why we haven't met.

I've had a few questions about the car so I am providing more info for the group.

I purchased the car from a gentleman in Conroe Texas. The car was built by a group of experimental aircraft guys at a hanger in Conroe and the owner of the car, who paid for it, later died and one of his friends helped sell the car. I was active in the Lotus club of Houston (aka LOST – Lotus Owners of South Texas) and a friend of mine and member of USA7s helped me with the purchase. He owns two Caterhams and he was super excited about mine. The car was exceptionally well maintained and I purchased it on the spot in ~2012. I’ve maintained it to their standard and I do drive it regularly to keep it lubed and running well. The only scratches are on the carbon fiber rear wheel rock guards. Otherwise it looks like the day I bought it with about 1500 more miles.

It is a Ford SVT 4 cylinder, tires are like new, 5 speed transmission, Caterham leather seats, no modifications, everything I have goes with it. Covers for the lights, full weather gear, doors, bikini top, heater tubes, carbon fiber side mirrors, 2 sets of 4 point harnesses (3 points are still there), build manual, notes from the builders, and newspaper article from the local paper about their build.

What I like about this car is that it is the perfect canvas for someone that wants to upgrade and/or modify. Everything is currently super stock and I think it could benefit further from a racing stripe and/or more horsepower. 220 was enough for me, but I know you all really love to tinker…

Reasonable offers will be entertained as the price is negotiable.

I’m in the Quince and Kirby area.

I’ll bet it’s a blast. Mine has the fuel injected 1.4 K series so about 130 HP. My son and I went down to Collierville a coupLe days ago. He says he hates it but he always wants to go for a ride. He ratted me out to his mom about the donut I did. Lol.

Id be all over it but I just sold a car to make room in the garage for the car that was sitting in the driveway. But like I tell the Mrs when she asks how many cars does one person need: n+1

• 2 weeks later...
Vlad: 8 years x 666 miles a year is 5328, not a lot but not all that unusual.

From Post #4 written by OP/seller:

"...I purchased it on the spot in ~2012. Otherwise it looks like the day I bought it with about 1500 more miles."

666/year came from overall mileage divided by overall age. OP bought used 8 years ago and has only put 1500 miles on it since then (indeed. unfortunate)

If he can sell it for what he paid, the registration and insurance each year might be making it >$1/mile to own (which might be an even worse way to think about it).

AP

We don't have any rules about not making offers in a sales thread, but it might be best to do that via PM. Otherwise these threads might turn into auctions, and although that could prove entertaining, the business part of my brain might be compelled to propose to Mazda we start taking a cut of the sales ala Bring a Trailer :)

A little more seriously, rule #5 does state "5- For sale section - Let's keep each post about the specific item for sale. If you don't like the price being asked, or see something wrong with the listing, take it to PM." I think publicly offering $9k below the asking price falls into that territory. Now back to the sales thread.

-John

So many dreamers in lotusworld-thats the nature of the beast.

So you you want to deal or dream-that is the question.

If its rude -to suggest that a mid life less than edgy racy mobile, might entertain, a new rider in todays economic quagmire. for something less than advertised.

WELL EXCUSE ME, for making a public offer-its not like anyone needs an impractical silly car for a real reason.

its between me and the owner

• 2 weeks later...

I know this Caterham. The gentleman who built the car is a mechanical engineer and an airplane pilot. The SVT engine is a crated motor. It has the unique JPE yellow gauges. I have driven this car many times and it is an extremely well built and maintained. I would not hesitate to have this car in my garage except it already has three Caterham.

Any consideration on listing this on BAT? It seems like the ideal place for our cars recently.

Also any more information on the Zetec (SVT as I see above) and what's done to it?

I will have to defer to the Engine heads on this forum to explain the difference between a normal Zetec and a SVT Zetec, but the SVT in this Caterham is made in Germany and my understanding is that it has a high compression, bigger cams and a different air flow from a conventional Zetec. It is not after market tuned, but produced by the Ford SVT (Special Vehicles Team) in concert with Cosworth. Also, I have been looking thru all the documentation to answer several PMs and I believe it actually as 210 HP. Not 220.

As for BAT I would like to sell to someone involved with the USA7s forum because I think this is the best way to support the Seven community. Without the USA7s forum some of the intangible value surrounding these cars would be lost. Where else can we discuss the differences between a Zetec and a SVT Zetec as it pertains to a Caterham?

Sandfire