2005 Caterham SV for sale

Sandfire

To add to the above, the SVT has bigger valves and redesigned intake ports. I believe the short block adds forged pistons and oiling changes. Stock to stock, the SVT is a big upgrade over a regular Zetec.

-John

I have had 2 SVT engines in my current Cat. The first, well tuned one, made about 162 hp and 148 lbs torque, on a chassis dyno. The second, as of yet untuned one, made 148 hp and 136 torque, per my faltering memory.

Basically, the SVT falls a bit more than half way between the stock Zetecs, which were lucky to get more than 124-135 hp on a chassis dyno, and the Duratec, which I had in my Birkin and which made around 169 hp and 155 lbs torque, on the same dyno, again per my faltering memory.

Forum member, 1 TurboFocus, an expert on Zetecs, says, for all practical purposes, the SVT was a different engine than the stock Zetec. Anyhow, it is a nice, torquey, easy to drive engine that red lines around 7200. It weighs maybe 35 lbs more than the Duratec, in standard form and isn't as amenable to tuning as the Duratec. Because of its broad torque range, it matches well with the 5 sp transmission (no need to keep it on the boil).

As a reference point, my '19 MX-5's (Miata) ultra-modern "Skyactive" Mazda 2.0 liter engine is rated at a bit more power than the SVT on paper but on the dyno the numbers are similar or less, than the the SVT. That's progress:). Or maybe emissions and mpg issues???

Edited by Kitcat

I (we) currently have a Caterham Zetec (his), a Caterham SVT (her), and a Caterham R300 Durtec (ours). Each one is a fantastic driver with a different experience. I (we) have no favorite because they all put a smile on my (our) faces.

His Zetec, Her SVT, Our Durtec.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17307[/ATTACH]

As an SVT owner and fan, the only thing that would improve these pictures would be Texas dropping the front license plate requirement like Ohio just did.....

Great grouping of Cats

Taber

As an SVT owner and fan, the only thing that would improve these pictures would be Texas dropping the front license plate requirement like Ohio just did.....

Great grouping of Cats

Taber

Fear Not! I've driven the Birkin for 5 years without a front plate, in Texas. Never been stopped. Drove the Miata 10+ without it, and never got stopped. So, if I got stopped, I figure a $270 fine in 15 years would be fair tax on better looks.

I have my front plate in the compartment over the tank with a set of tie wraps. If I get stopped I'll say that it just fell off, bracket broke, and tie it to the front grill.

Fear Not! I've driven the Birkin for 5 years without a front plate, in Texas. Never been stopped. Drove the Miata 10+ without it, and never got stopped. So, if I got stopped, I figure a $270 fine in 15 years would be fair tax on better looks.

That's how I feel like in NY. None of my cars have a front plate. Only two tickets in the last 10 years or so. Once in NYC the day I bought the Miata and left it on the side street in Brooklyn to go to Manhattan. Came back to find a ticket.

Other time I wasn't even driving. SO was in the car and got a fix it ticket for the front plate in the Volvo. Unfortunately I couldn't find the front plate until a week after ticket was due...

My 7 at any point in time is guilty of at least 6 equipment violations (no reverse light, no license light, no plate, no inspection, loud muffler, no third brake light, no windshield, no registration mount). If anything it gives the officers easy "true reduction" if they pull me over and want to go nice on me. Even if the officer doesn't want to let you go ticketless, front plate is an easy one they like to give which makes everybody feel better instead of lets say speeding.

"My 7 at any point in time is guilty of at least 6 equipment violations (no reverse light, no license light, no plate, no inspection, loud muffler, no third brake light, no windshield, no registration mount)."

Now that sounds like my kind of Seven. The first 2 years I spent hours getting everything electrical to work all at the same time, for our annual state inspection. The last several years I have a guy who looks at nothing, just puts it in the computer. In Texas, the inspection has to be done before you can renew the plate. Next month, we'll see how he reacts to the Brooklands. All I care about in electrics is the horn and brake lights.