310 Build Log - "I Don't Do This Because I'm Good At It. I Do It Because I Enjoy It."

Squeegee

Before.jpgAfter One Week.jpg

First week of a few hours per day in the books. Wishbones, steering rack, dampers and uprights installed on the front end. The first step was the toughest, getting those four washers in the lower wishbone where there is really only room for three. I ended up inserting the three and holding them in place with a screwdriver while I pounded in, I mean "gently inserted" the fourth. To get the holes to line up I should have used a tapered punch, but I didn't have one. Instead I used the leading edge of drill bits for their taper. I tapped one in, and then moved on to the next larger to get the washers all lined up for the bolt. Not what the folks who made the drill bits had in mind when they made them, but it got the job done.

BTW, there are some pretty tight quarters in there. Any suggestions for a small, swivel head torque wrench? The torque wrench I have now is of a size and an age that I think it might have been used to bolt together the Titanic.

Is the heat insulation on the footwells and tunnel an option or a factory standard item. Good idea either way.

I believe it comes standard now. It's installed on mine too.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I have the headlights, front brake lines, horn, air box and heater installed. I had some trouble with the front anti-roll bar. Josh from Rocky Mountain Caterham is sending me a replacement for the end ball I trashed. Totally my fault. I didn't clean out the excess powder coat from the sockets. I have plenty of time for for Dremeling while await the replacement. I guess I could install the radiator, but I don't want anything fragile nearby while I'm trying to hoss the ARB into position. This the part of the process that my wife refers to as "Crammin', Jammin', and Damnin'."

Headlights.jpgAirbox.jpg

It took a little head scratching, but it finally occurred to me that, in order to get the "push-pull" of the heater cable to work properly, all I had to do was install the Heater Control Valve (HCV) upside down (and remember to reverse the hoses when I get to that part of the plumbing). I also have the ARB and the radiator installed).

HCV.jpgHCV Cable Layout.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Engine is IN !

I was little confused about a connector coming off the engine that didn't seem fit the connector it lined up with. Josh at Rocky Mountain Caterham figured it out for me. The receptor I had found was a "vestigial connection" left over from when they used K engines, so it can be taped off and ignored. The green connector coming off the engine goes to the MAP sensor, which Caterham had failed to attach to the chassis or include in the parts. It's on its way from Jolly Olde, so you can all look forward to questions about exactly how I attach that to the chassis and where the hose enters the intake manifold in a couple weeks.

109340910_10217426630282710_2058569946207007785_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=qIUp1-IIB4wAX9E7p44&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=794ef16399d9c90ad7f08198b17d03ea&oe=5F41BA68

The Sigma really does neatly package in a Caterham.

I laughed at your heater deliberations - brings back memories of not being able to reinstall mine years ago. Gave up, was enjoying a beer when the lightbulb went off on how to install it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, Squeegee said:

It took a little head scratching, but it finally occurred to me that, in order to get the "push-pull" of the heater cable to work properly, all I had to do was install the Heater Control Valve (HCV) upside down (and remember to reverse the hoses when I get to that part of the plumbing). I also have the ARB and the radiator installed).

HCV.jpgHCV Cable Layout.jpg

How did you route your cable? Maybe I have the wrong one, but it is way to long to keep it on the same side. I have been stumped by this too.

my cable:

8103CBD9-4CF5-401C-B5E8-EF87335FD025.thumb.jpeg.1827ff04102a8b3bc4220cfe29728b52.jpego

Here is the routing I used for the heater cable.  It appears mine goes through the firewall at a different point than yours. I did have to shorten the cable. If i recall correctly, I used a tubing cutter on the outer layer and simple wire cutters on inner.

Good luck!

BTW, I love yoir paint scheme.

20220221_120124.jpg

20220221_120133.jpg

20220221_120139.jpg

Dan-Gurney-in-Eagle-at-1967-F1-Belgian-Grand-Prix.jpg