Could be a alternative for glasses

Brightonuk

I have a hard time wearing glasses inside my full face helmet they are a real pain trying to get them on and off.

And then the smearing or fogging on the track is annoying and dangerous.

I have been looking for an alternative and came across this company in Germany

https://iride-og.webshopapp.com/de/

The concept seems sound but having custom lens made to fit could be an expensive undertaking.

They seem to be a generic shape seen here and assuming they only need to be single vision any (opticians on the site)?

https://iride-og.webshopapp.com/de/i-ride-vxc-spacer-16-mm-copy.html

I have reached out to the company with a few questions one being the cost of the lenses made in Germany.

Any thoughts?

Been there and explored the idea. I am blind as a bat. My prescription is for short sightedness, stigmatism and a separate prescription for reading. I experimented with my prescription snorkeling goggles (I have a great source in FL for those). I found I could see distance but could not read the dash with a single vision option. I thought that could be a problem. Second, different helmets produce different positioning of where the lenses would be relative to your eyes - both lateral away from your face and the vertical. You really need to test it in person as the lenses have to be positioned just right to get the vision correction outcome you want. Yes you can buy those spacers they sell to customize the fit but I thought it was a risk to pay money for something you hoped would fit right but did not really know. I have enough issues getting regular glasses to fit properly so I get the best vision possible.

Now your head may be normally designed and your vision failings far less extreme than mine in which case taking a chance on this is less risky.

There are ways to stop the fogging - there is stuff you polish on. Does not always work great but I can manage around the inconvenience.

What about something like this?

https://flyingeyesoptics.com/rx-lenses/

Oakley do a similar product. I used to have a set with my multifocals a few years back.

One guy at NJMP got a set of children's sized glasses frames and had his prescription added.

Edited by Croc

Many years ago I was an aggressive mogul skier, and would fog my glasses and goggles which really became dangerous. I made the switch to contact lenses and now have multifocal lenses which allow for both distance and reading. Bite the bullet and get contacts. Tom

Points taken I guess bifocals may work but as Croc said the positioning is important. on the site they have a few people offering suggestions one being having oversize lenses and using the extensions they offer.

LOL Add Plaid pants, Hawaiian shirt, black socks, white shoes, buy a Cadillac and move to Miami Beach with my oversize lenses

Obviously I cant try before I buy so it is a shot in the dark.

The main issue with the glasses I cram in between the helmet and my ears is not so much fogging but smearing from body oils It was suggested using straight legs on the glasses will help putting them on (another option I guess) and try to keep them away from touching my eyebrows.

I tried the anti fog and RainX but the smearing is oils not water and did not help at all.

As for contacts they just do not work for me tried them and had to have my kid get one out of my eye fricking hated them...... lasik?

Add Plaid pants, Hawaiian shirt, black socks, white shoes, buy a Cadillac and move to Miami Beach with my oversize lenses

Figured you had them anyway since you live in Ft Lauderdale. You sound such an 80s style of chap! :jester:

Anyway, I think smaller frames work better as they are less likely to touch your face on the side of the frame. Mine have eyebrow clearance. :cooldude:

It was suggested using straight legs on the glasses will help putting them on (another option I guess)

Yes, the straight legs work well. I usually have a pair of Oakley sunglass frames with prescription inserts for this reason.

As for contacts they just do not work for me tried them and had to have my kid get one out of my eye fricking hated them......

Can relate to that - they do not work for me given my prescription. They were ideal for Tom with his aggressive mogul skiing since he spent so much time on his face.

lasik?

I wanted to do this but my eyesight has never stopped moving. I change prescription each year as long distance sight and reading alter. I could get the operation and in 1-2 years be back in glasses. So why bother. If your vision prescription is stable then those who I know have had it love it.

Once I started wearing a balaclava, all of my issues with my glasses were solved. Before that, putting the helmet on would knock the glasses off, or way down, and re-positioning was challenging, and occasionally damaging to the (expensive) fragile glasses frame.

Initially, I switched to glasses with a heavy plastic frame for racing only. I now have a set of 5-8 balaclavas that I take to each event.

They protect the glasses so the helmet slips right on. Some times a very minor adjustment is needed once the helmet is on. When I am done, I pull the glasses straight out then remove the helmet.

I take so many as I also use them to absorb head sweat. It really helps in the summer and protects the helmet from getting soaked. Maybe just an issue for those of us more follically challenged types?

Edited by Kitcat