Ode to Cheap Tools

From another thread, "The Harbor Freight $30 set has a pretty good mix and for $30 you really can't complain, but watch out as the chrome is so cheap that it can flake off and leave you with a nasty tiny sliver. Ask me how I know."

Having cheap tools at hand, by the side of the road, is better than having professional grade at home. Why stand there cussing when all you need is pliers or a screwdriver? For the last 30+ years I have made sure there are tools in every vehicle. My kids', the wife's, my Tacoma and needless to say, the Birkin. Some are cheap sets, but not used for 10 years. Cheap insurance. Goes with teaching a daughter to change a tire.

Cheap tools have come a long way. They are not as crappy as they used to be. A pro mechanic needs tools that can take hard work for years, but as an amateur, some tools might only get used rarely, so it may take years to wear them out. There are exemptions. Cheap wire strippers are not worth having; some cheap pliers are OK, others not, etc.

And don't forget road finds and garage sales. I have a ridiculous number of sockets, from a garage sale. Just about every 1/32 and 1/64 difference there is, bought in a gallon pail. Broken Craftsmen 1/2 inch breaker bar found in the road, traded by Sears for brand new one.

Every conceivable fluid is more important than tools. Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid, Coolant Premix, Windshield Washer Fluid, all important!

From another thread, "The Harbor Freight $30 set has a pretty good mix and for $30 you really can't complain, but watch out as the chrome is so cheap that it can flake off and leave you with a nasty tiny sliver. Ask me how I know."

Having cheap tools at hand, by the side of the road, is better than having professional grade at home. Why stand there cussing when all you need is pliers or a screwdriver? For the last 30+ years I have made sure there are tools in every vehicle. My kids', the wife's, my Tacoma and needless to say, the Birkin. Some are cheap sets, but not used for 10 years. Cheap insurance. Goes with teaching a daughter to change a tire.

Cheap tools have come a long way. They are not as crappy as they used to be. A pro mechanic needs tools that can take hard work for years, but as an amateur, some tools might only get used rarely, so it may take years to wear them out. There are exemptions. Cheap wire strippers are not worth having; some cheap pliers are OK, others not, etc.

And don't forget road finds and garage sales. I have a ridiculous number of sockets, from a garage sale. Just about every 1/32 and 1/64 difference there is, bought in a gallon pail. Broken Craftsmen 1/2 inch breaker bar found in the road, traded by Sears for brand new one.

As the guy that bought that $30 set from Harbor Freight and who has now driven the car 3,000 miles, I certainly agree.

I have been fortunate though as I’ve been able to defer and perform almost all my repairs within walking distance of an auto parts or hardware store. While I haven’t had many repairs, my collection of tools and parts has mounted to the point that my boot is nearly full of just that.

My ideal repair kit is modeled on the Cruz Tools motorcycle repair kits which are make specific. So for my BMW there is a Cruz Tools kit that has what you need for the bike and only what you need. My goal is to create something similar for the 7 but because it is both imperial and metric that’s a bit more difficult and the kit will be bigger. Ironically, the motorcycle has more storage space.

Fluids are also critical. I’ve added about a liter of coolant and two of oil in 3,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Fluids are also critical. I’ve added about a liter of coolant and two of oil in 3,000 miles."

Of course, fluids are critical, but one can get creative. Driving an old 190SL from Mexico DF to Texas, it started leaking oil. I carried extra cans, but about 15 miles shy of the border, it got low again and I had exhausted my extra cans. So, I just stood by the side of the highway and waved an oil can at passing cars. Within 10 minutes, I had the extra 2 liters I needed to make it to the MB dealer in Laredo.