Federal Tires SS595

Brightonuk

I'm using 595's on my Locost, and very pleased with them. The selection of 14" summer tires was pretty limited. The plus for me was that I can get them locally if there is ever a problem, since I do not carry a spare tire. I did have a set of Yokohama's A048, and the federals are much better. I'm running Federal 14" 185-55 @ 19psi. I would also check out Ar1 or NS2R, Nankang if you have a local distributor. They are only slightly higher then the Federals. Dave W

Just came in

Tires 1.jpg

With this much tread they should last a while and at $239 for all 4 I hope they work out

I was hoping to track them Wednesday but the weather looks like it will be a wash out

Edited by Brightonuk

I will have to Google what this indicates.

Tires 2.jpg

VS Toyo 888Rs

Tires 3.jpg

And the all knowledgeable Google tells me, although not as grippy as the Toyo's they should last 4 times times longer (all things being equal)?

Once I get these on the track (which looks like at lest 4 weeks away due to a tropical storm on my track day) I can offer a more informative review.

Regardless for everyday driving these will save me a ton of money.

Edited by Brightonuk

Thanks for the info, let us your thoughts on their performance when you put them to the track. My 888s are holding up great, a few track days and lots of street use. I’m good on tires for years now, I was given a almost new set of P-Zero N 3s . Im looking for new wheels to mount them on. Good Luck

Very interesting! I have one set of 13s dressed in Toyo 888s and was thinking of getting a second set with a tire more suited to colder and wetter conditions on the road. I'd be very interested to hear how they do in the wet. Thanks.

Just got them mounted and first impression heavier than the Toyos the car is less responsive overall the steering just feel heavier.

Also deafinitely nosier but hard to tell over the exhaust.

As I am in Florida twisty bits are none existent but in a straight line I can break them free for a standing start much easier than the Toyo (which its to be expected).

I think for daily driving these are a good compromise between price and road manners and will certainly save your wallet.

I will take them to the track hopefully on Wednesday if the weather holds It looks like rain but as the idea was to try them in the rain so it may work out.

I plan to take the Toyos as well and switch between runs.

I know the Toyos will outperform in the dry but I guess the idea is to see if the Federal's are acceptable at the track if nothing else they should improve my:driving:

The treadwear rating on these tires is interesting. Both 13" sizes and two of the three 14" sizes are 460, but the remainder -- and they go up to 20" -- are either 240 or 260. I don't recall seeing such a dramatic spread for the same tire based on size. I can't link directly to the page, but if you go here and click on Specifications, you can see the details.

-John

Andy, that makes sense and I missed that data point, but the size of the delta really surprises me. I may have simply never noticed this before when researching other tires and such a difference may not be that uncommon. Now I'm intrigued and will have to research it :( Regardless, any tire available in 13" in this country is worthy of celebration.

-John

Well just got back from a very very wet Track day at West Palm

The result of how good are the Federal 595's...........................CRAP

I will upload a video later but these were horrendous that said I have never had so much fun on the track, the grip is crap but the car is so predictable it was fun seeing how far I could push it.

I am no stig and I did try to get sideways around the corners which was very easy to do with these tires,

I am sure in the hands of a capable driver they could be drfted round every corner,,,, alas I am not that capable driver

Maybe in the dry they will redeem themselves

There is a rule that says you get what you pay for, so I am not surprised. Would have been entertaining to watch. :rofl:

Maybe they will work better for trips to the hairdresser, grocery shopping or to see ladies for lunch? Somehow I don't think you do these things....