Source for wheeled/mobile axle stands?

I see in all the build blogs, people recommend building the car on wheeled axle stands. I can't find any American dealers for them - did anyone buy some for their 7 build? If so, where can I find them stateside (without having to pay for shipping from UK)

Thanks

Tyler

I think the type of stand you are looking for is this - photo at Caterham factory in Dartford

75305991-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Those stands were a custom order for Caterham.

Most car builders seem to build their own. I think you will have to find someone that can build to a design of your choosing. Its not a difficult job but it has to be dimensions that work for your build.

What about here?

https://www.hawthornetables.com/worktables

If you design it right, then afterwards you can add a table top to make it a workbench or something else useful.

If you want a quick solution but not necessarily the cheapest option you can try a set of sprint car chassis stands. https://www.racecareng.com/item/1580358-chassis-dollies?category=115994 They're good for up to #2000, and I've been happy with the mobility of being able to move my chassis around the garage and even swapping end for end in literally seconds. I did end up using a couple heavy cable ties to secure it to the stand for extra security and haven't encountered any stability issues. The legs are a little close together but I'm able to fit my creeper in between so it's worked well for me so far.

My car is further along than in this photo, I really need to start a build thread....

IMG_20200725_180752628 (1).jpg

Hmmmmm- I've seen a few UK builds using these:

https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/mobile-axle-stands-nylon-wheels-cm05c/

I guess they aren't popular in the states. I've read that it makes putting the motor in much easier, because you can move the car instead of the hoist. But I'm sure I can do without.

• 3 months later...

Interesting so with these spring car stands since they're not adjustable for width, is there any issue getting the rubber pads to appropriate chassis points? Or do you have to add some additional padding for areas that don't line up with appropriate chassis lift points?

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 6:34 PM, KnifeySpoony said:

Interesting so with these spring car stands since they're not adjustable for width, is there any issue getting the rubber pads to appropriate chassis points? Or do you have to add some additional padding for areas that don't line up with appropriate chassis lift points?

What did you end up deciding to do? Would love an update. My kit should arrive sooooon!

2 hours ago, KnifeySpoony said:

Couldn't find them. Just using standard flat top jack stands. Going fine so far. Engine went in pretty easy. 

Cool - glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

• 2 weeks later...

@mdork, I made a poor man's version by setting my jack stands on top of some furniture dollies. Made it relatively easy to roll the chassis around, as long as I was careful. You're welcome to them if you'd like.