Toyo 888s vs Federal 595s (Like you even need to ask)

Brightonuk

Didn't get any better later on. Cost effective I wouldn't say. The best I can say is that cheap tires like that will give you plenty of warning that you are torturing them.

That's interesting and I guess not all that surprising. I was looking at the Federals some time back after a friend said he liked them for autocross and noticed that in most sizes the treadware rating is 260....but for some odd reason 13" tires have a treadware rating of 460.

They might not have much grip at 460 but I'll bet that they will last an annoyingly long time.

dave

Like I said in the video these are fine for the street, but living in Florida there are not many corners so understeer is not an issue we just go straight all the time. and yes they will last a long time.

In fact all that understeer on the track did not seem to take off any rubber so these may well last longer than the car.

Bottom line the 595s are for the budget conscious (like Me) they are cheap and street usable, the ride quality is a little worse than my Bentley Bentayga but then again it's a Caterham on $60 tires :driving:.

Edited by Brightonuk

It's cool to see Moroso, I used to go drag racing there when I was a kid!

Those tires look like they would be fun to drive, not fast, but fun. The visual of the push with cycle fenders is pretty graphic!

I have 16" HPC wheels on the car now that I need to keep the sump off the ground on local roads, so this limits tire choices to 205/45-16. I am thinking about some 888's to replace my aged Proxes R1R's.

Andy

I am sorry to admit but I burst out laughing at that graphic display of understeer. The image of you winding more and more lock on for no effect. :rofl:

I think that will be a compelling demonstration of what tire not to buy!

I am sorry to admit but I burst out laughing at that graphic display of understeer. The image of you winding more and more lock on for no effect. :rofl:

I think that will be a compelling demonstration of what tire not to buy!

But, Croc, even Formula One chooses to run rubbish tires. State of what art?

Those tires would be excellent candidates for use in building the track's tire wall! Or, for storing the car. Or, for starting a fire (put a little gasoline in them to get started). Tire swings would work as well. Maybe obstacles on a fitness course? The possibilities are nearly endless, but clearly do not include track use: I am amazed you escaped undamaged.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the tire is just to hard for the weight of the car, after a day at the track on toyos I can see I have been on a track by the scuffing but the Federals look unscathed.

I am going to try again (practicing trail braking) and see if it is just my inexperience or they are crap for the track