New USA7s Forum coming in early 2021

Croc

JohnCH, Slngsht and I have been working through a project to upgrade the USA7s forum from its current vBulletin platform to a new Invision platform. Many of us users and the site admins have been unhappy with vBulletin. We looked at several options before settling on Invision.

To make the transition as easy as possible we will be retaining the existing forum structure although the look and feel will be quite different - I think it is improved.

The advantages to you as users will be significant:

• Better screen layout to access content you want quicker
  • Individual user galleries more readily accessible
  • Auto-resizing of images uploaded
  • Automatically presenting embedded image links and video links as images and video screens
  • Integration with social media with FaceBook and Instagram feeds
  • The use of articles to surface more in-depth content rather than burying it deep within the forum directories
  • Greater ability to react to content and interact with other users posting on the forum
  • Better ability to tag posts and data for future reference
  • Ability to optimize how you can search for technical information contained within the forum
  • Invision forum presents properly on a phone with a regular browser. No need for Tapatalk app any more. Invision also has an app available for you but our testing showed using the phone browser was better - you can choose.

Additionally, JohnCh is working with the creators/moderators of Yahoo Birkin Owners Group to save as much of the valuable technical information and incorporate it within the forum so that it is available to all. Much of the information is relevant and useful to all seven owners, not just Birkin owners.

The forum will be good foundation for a range of future enhancements for the broader Se7ens community to better connect owners with parts sources or prospective owners with manufacturers and their representatives or classified ads of used Se7ens.

The timetable is tentatively planned for late January/February. There will be plenty of notice prior to changeover so that you are aware of the short planned downtime. There will also be a quick starter guide available on using the new forum.

A lot of thought has gone into this and we think you will appreciate the significant improvements coming.

At the end of the day the forum is a tool to connect you with the information, technical resources, events, and people that can allow you to enjoy your Se7ens more. A new forum will make that a better experience for you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the backup of the now terminated Yahoo group for WCM Ultralite_USA Forum which has all the files, links and messages zipped up. If you would like to incorporate it in the new forum.

This is a wonderful offer - thank you! We will not be able to save everything but there will be enough to make it worthwhile. PM on its way

Selfishly, I would like to see us using more modern software, with fewer bugs that leave me screaming at the computer "why the f&*# did that happen? why??" and that has a better interface for how people like to use the forum; easily upload photos to posts whether from an image hosting service or from your device, simple youtube uploads, a mobile interface that accommodates the much smaller screen size, far more intuitive galleries (how many of you even know we have galleries now?), places to host and manage articles, etc.

It's not perfect, and some people will have a knee-jerk reaction that they don't like it simply because it's different, but I think this is a case, where different creates a significantly better user experience. I'll put together some simple user guides before launch to speed up the learning process and ease the transition. The new software even has a native support ticket system. Having an issue posting something or paying for club membership? Simply open a ticket in that relevant area and you immediately go into a queue where your issue is addressed. No more trying to figure out who to email or PM, or taking a tangent in an existing thread to express your understandable frustration with no clue if I've actually seen it. This will also provide analytics to highlight any problem areas we can address through feature changes, or how-to articles. It's a modern forum for old school car owners.

BTW If anyone here uses the WSCC or OZClubbies forum, you are familiar with the Invision Platform. Prior to making the decision on which way to go, we did significant research on the major players and felt this option gives us the best package for the future. We hope to work through the migration timeline over the next couple of weeks and will give plenty of notice before the switch occurs.

-John

Does it have a Croc sarcasm delete/ignore feature?:jester:

......just asking.:lurk:

Speaking of Croc, you going to be around this week in case I get up to TEB? Back on rotation tomorrow.

Does it have a Croc sarcasm delete/ignore feature?:jester:

......just asking.:lurk:

Kind of. It has a native de-Crocification tool that removes sarcasm, non PC comments, and obvious HR violations from his posts. As a test, we ran the initial version of what he wrote above through the tool which converted it to what you now see. I will admit, the original version was more amusing (and even mentioned you by name), but...well, progress.

-John

Kind of. It has a native de-Crocification tool that removes sarcasm, non PC comments, and obvious HR violations from his posts. As a test, we ran the initial version of what he wrote above through the tool which converted it to what you now see. I will admit, the original version was more amusing (and even mentioned you by name), but...well, progress.

-John

John, if you eliminate all that, you would either cut the Croc eggs off or get rid of him entirely. We are a tough skinned lot, so just leave him alone for our amusement. :smilielol5:

-John

Awesome!:smilielol5:

John, if you eliminate all that, you would either cut the Croc eggs off or get rid of him entirely. We are a tough skinned lot, so just leave him alone for our amusement. :smilielol5:

I just received a cease and desist order from his attorneys, so it looks like the deCrocification tool was a use-once piece of software.

SENC, you have a PM incoming.

-John