Newbie here (Upstate SC)

Yoram

Hi all,

First of all Happy New Year!

My first deed on this long overdue New Year is to join and post on this forum!

I've retired last year and after many years of admiring the Seven, am fixin' to order and build a new 270S or 310S this year.

Will be researching these forums and trying not to bother y'all with obvious questions which have answers somewhere herein.

I do however have a bit of a struggle:

I tried to learn as much as possible from the Caterham Cars website (both UK and US sites), and am having the darnest time just trying to get the website to stop moving and swapping pages on me and to let me read the information.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I submitted 2 messages on the UK site and 2 on the Christopher John site just about trying to view the site and have not received any reply.

Does anyone have a tip as to how to view these sites? Never experienced any website do this before.

Sorry for starting my "presence" here bitching and thanks for any advice...

Cheers,

-Yoram

Upstate SC

Edited by Yoram

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

First of all Happy New Year!

My first deed on this long overdue New Year is to join and post on this forum!

I've retired last year and after many years of admiring the Seven, am fixin' to order and build a new 270S or 310S this year.

Will be researching these forums and trying not to bother y'all with obvious questions which have answers somewhere herein.

I do however have a bit of a struggle:

I tried to learn as much as possible from the Caterham Cars website (both UK and US sites), and am having the darnest time just trying to get the website to stop moving and swapping pages on me and to let me read the information.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? I submitted 2 messages on the UK site and 2 on the Christopher John site just about trying to view the site and have not received any reply.

Does anyone have a tip as to how to view these sites? Never experienced any website do this before.

Sorry for starting my "presence" here bitching and thanks for any advice...

Cheers,

-Yoram

Upstate SC

Yoram,

Welcome to the madness, if you are having issues with the sites, you might want to switch browsers. I have a tendency to use either MS Edge, or Seamonkey/Firefox platforms and do not have as many issues with the site navigation. Also, take your time, enjoy your hunt for the perfect combination, that will be 1/4 of the fun.

Bill S.

PS: Where in the upstate are you located?

Welcome Yoram and Happy New Year!

First thing is - its not you! I find with Google Chrome or even Safari (Mac), I have to sit and let the screen sort itself out. You get two popups - cookies to be accepted and then a subscribe popup. Then its still moving around. Then if you move the cursor/mouse and find the hot fields it then opens up new things and you have to move the cursor away to see the main screen.

Like Bill noted above, Micrsoft Edge browser seems to be better.

One idea - does heading straight to this screen bypass the worst of it?

https://www.caterhamcars.com/us/models/the-iconic-range

Also, if you have questions you can always ask here - the owners can set you straight on what you are trying to find out.

Dear All,

I am overwhelmed by the quick and warm welcome from so many of you!! Looks I accidentally landed in the right place...

...and, following the advice of several of you, I am already typing this from MS Edge, which indeed seems to have solved my problem! I am now able to view the dimensions of the standard vs. large chassis without the screen scrolling back up on its own after less than 5 seconds to the "Explore the Seven" screen...

I have never been a close friend of Microsoft but looks like I'm switching from Firefox to Edge... But that's not the topic of this forum.

I will now take some more time to peruse the Caterham websites and these pages and will come back soon with the few most important questions...

Thanks again and cheers!

-Yoram

Mike, thank you as well. I see from the list that you have or had 2 Holdens... Are you down under?

My "near daily driver" is a 6 speed VFII SSV Redline (aka 2016 Chevy SS around these parts)... Keeping it but going now in the opposite direction...

Hi Bill,

We are in Simpsonville, SC, about 20. minutes south from downtown Greenville. Are you in the area?

Cheers,

-Yoram

Just off Pelham/Hudson Rd a few miles from the Haywood Mall :driving: . Spring will be here soon, no more back issues for me, which means I too will be on the hunt for my next "7". Maybe a new scratch build is in order, we can share the cost of a container :D ...Only time will tell.

Bill S.

Mike, thank you as well. I see from the list that you have or had 2 Holdens... Are you down under?

My "near daily driver" is a 6 speed VFII SSV Redline (aka 2016 Chevy SS around these parts)... Keeping it but going now in the opposite direction...

I am in NY/NJ and still have the Holdens. Two are slowly being recommissioned. One just decorates the garage while I work out what I want to do with it. The Chevy SS was a superb car. Would have bought one before they finished production but I felt I had enough cars....need to add the missing ones to that list.. :rolleyes:

OOu0EYt.jpg

vqS7ZfU.jpg

0J1IzGX.jpg

Just off Pelham/Hudson Rd a few miles from the Haywood Mall :driving: . Spring will be here soon, no more back issues for me, which means I too will be on the hunt for my next "7". Maybe a new scratch build is in order, we can share the cost of a container :D ...Only time will tell.

Bill S.

This is a good surprise... Didn't expect anyone here to be close by! Sharing a container sounds like a cool idea. Hope your back settles down soon!

I talked the other day with Chris from Christopher John LTD of Daytona Beach. He said that with their current backlog the earliest build for an order placed today would be June, so delivery not before late July...

Is there a preferred/recommended dealer to work with?

I am in NY/NJ and still have the Holdens. Two are slowly being recommissioned. One just decorates the garage while I work out what I want to do with it. The Chevy SS was a superb car. Would have bought one before they finished production but I felt I had enough cars....need to add the missing ones to that list.. :rolleyes:

OOu0EYt.jpg

vqS7ZfU.jpg

0J1IzGX.jpg

Incredible!! Truly incredible! Have not encountered a more esoteric hard core enthusiast in a long time.... but why Holdens??

Never too late to get a VFII! I bought mine lightly "pre-owned". I like it even more than the E46 M3 I sold to make room for it...

(Actually the 7 will only be my 2nd car I would ever buy new... only single one so far was an '86 SAAB 900 Turbo).

There is an excellent Chevy SS forum (ssforums.com) with always a few cars listed for sale.

Cheers!

IMG_0025 Reduced.jpg

IMG_0030 Reduced.jpg

Some dealers do participate on this forum but those postings are not always a complete picture of what a dealer really brings to the customer. USA7s is a club at its heart and so there is no tie in or preferred relationship for a specific manufacturer brand or individual dealer. The forum is intended to be neutral ground and an informed place for buyers so you can make the best choice. I would encourage you to do your research and make the informed choice that works best for you.

Things that you should consider in selecting a dealer:

- after sales/after build support - if you think you will need it then maybe local presence is better. If not then this gives you more dealer options. There is no requirement that you purchase from your closest dealer. You can choose a Caterham dealer anywhere in the US you want despite what some might tell you.

- knowledge - do you want out of the box standard or maybe something a little special or custom? Some dealers are better set up for the custom type orders/builds

- currency - different dealers have different ways of dealing with FX variability on the order. Higher price/less FX risk or lower price but higher risk of FX variations in end cost - the end result can be very different under the different methods

- spec - In addition to customer orders, dealers will also have an order pipeline of kits that they spec'ed based on what they think they can sell. If you dont want a very specific order but can be flexible on color or interior style then maybe see what different dealers have on order but not assigned to a customer to find something you like quicker than starting a fresh order. Email them all and see what they have unsold on their upcoming order books.

- feedback - Have a read of various posts of new cars being featured on here in the member rides section or build threads. Who did they use? Maybe PM a few to ask them about their experience.

- parts - some dealers have a sizable inventory of parts and some do not. Personally, I tend to order direct from the UK so this is a non-event for me. But others prefer to have someone in-country to purchase parts from so it could be a factor for you.

Have not encountered a more esoteric hard core enthusiast in a long time.... but why Holdens??

Thats nice of you. Most of my friends would use words other than "esoteric."

I raced Holdens in Australia in the late 80s/early 90s. Cars went into storage and I never sold them. They are still really fun to drive and quite fast.

Edited by Croc

Some dealers do participate on this forum but those postings are not always a complete picture of what a dealer really brings to the customer. USA7s is a club at its heart and so there is no tie in or preferred relationship for a specific manufacturer brand or individual dealer. The forum is intended to be neutral ground and an informed place for buyers so you can make the best choice. I would encourage you to do your research and make the informed choice that works best for you.

Things that you should consider in selecting a dealer:

- after sales/after build support - if you think you will need it then maybe local presence is better. If not then this gives you more dealer options. There is no requirement that you purchase from your closest dealer. You can choose a Caterham dealer anywhere in the US you want despite what some might tell you.

- knowledge - do you want out of the box standard or maybe something a little special or custom? Some dealers are better set up for the custom type orders/builds

- currency - different dealers have different ways of dealing with FX variability on the order. Higher price/less FX risk or lower price but higher risk of FX variations in end cost - the end result can be very different under the different methods

- spec - In addition to customer orders, dealers will also have an order pipeline of kits that they spec'ed based on what they think they can sell. If you dont want a very specific order but can be flexible on color or interior style then maybe see what different dealers have on order but not assigned to a customer to find something you like quicker than starting a fresh order. Email them all and see what they have unsold on their upcoming order books.

- feedback - Have a read of various posts of new cars being featured on here in the member rides section or build threads. Who did they use? Maybe PM a few to ask them about their experience.

- parts - some dealers have a sizable inventory of parts and some do not. Personally, I tend to order direct from the UK so this is a non-event for me. But others prefer to have someone in-country to purchase parts from so it could be a factor for you.

Thats nice of you. Most of my friends would use words other than "esoteric."

I raced Holdens in Australia in the late 80s/early 90s. Cars went into storage and I never sold them. They are still really fun to drive and quite fast.

Mike, thanks a lot. This is great help! And love the Aussie connection.

This is a good surprise... Didn't expect anyone here to be close by! Sharing a container sounds like a cool idea. Hope your back settles down soon!

I talked the other day with Chris from Christopher John LTD of Daytona Beach. He said that with their current backlog the earliest build for an order placed today would be June, so delivery not before late July...

Already answered above, although, I am slightly swayed, as I have a good friend in upstate NY who is a Caterham dealer, he and I have known each other through various other makes, models, adventures for close to, if not longer than 30 years. We may see each other once every other year these days, but we interact here online quite frequently. Not sure I'd ask for a special deal, as that too is not my style, although there was one night at WGI many year ago that he may want me to leave out of my memoirs if I ever publish them :rofl: . Still not sold on a new, scratch build, I'll be watching the used market into the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2021 to see if anything catches my fancy , for more of an instant gratification, spur of the moment type purchase. With me, you just never know.

Bill S.

Already answered above, although, I am slightly swayed, as I have a good friend in upstate NY who is a Caterham dealer, he and I have known each other through various other makes, models, adventures for close to, if not longer than 30 years. We may see each other once every other year these days, but we interact here online quite frequently. Not sure I'd ask for a special deal, as that too is not my style, although there was one night at WGI many year ago that he may want me to leave out of my memoirs if I ever publish them :rofl: . Still not sold on a new, scratch build, I'll be watching the used market into the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2021 to see if anything catches my fancy , for more of an instant gratification, spur of the moment type purchase. With me, you just never know.

Bill S.

:o I am looking forward to the entire process -- learning about the car, speccing it, choosing the dealer, placing the order, preparing the space for the build, receiving the kit, building it, registering it and of course driving it, chasing down everything that's wrong, tweaking...

I see this more of a year long project with quite some highs and lows along the way rather than a one-time big bang. One of two builds I am contemplating. The second one would be a Monster Miata. It would come after this one, in case I'm getting too old and stiff to climb into the 7 but still can get into an NA Miata...

Cheers!

The second one would be a Monster Miata. It would come after this one, in case I'm getting too old and stiff to climb into the 7 but still can get into an NA Miata...

Cheers!

I can assist there as well, as I've owned, built, rebuilt several 5.0L Ford powered Miatas. You want to read of one such adventure where we "found" the Greenville area, click HERE.

Yoram, I am in Atlanta and may be a few weeks ahead of you in the process. I have had a great experience with Josh Robbins at Rocky Mountain Caterham so far. He has a 310r himself and gave me great perspective on questions I had.

I look forward to seeing what you do. And I'm happy to share my experience as I go along.

Very exciting!

I can assist there as well, as I've owned, built, rebuilt several 5.0L Ford powered Miatas. You want to read of one such adventure where we "found" the Greenville area, click HERE.

No words... I'm in project sports car Mecca! I must not lose your number... When the time comes we will discuss LS3 instead of the 5.0L Ford... I'm partial since owning the Holden...