Newbie here (Upstate SC)

Yoram

No words... I'm in project sports car Mecca! I must not lose your number... When the time comes we will discuss LS3 instead of the 5.0L Ford... I'm partial since owning the Holden...

I met someone "pre-covid" at Cars & Coffee (Michelin Corp Headquarters off Pelham Rd) with a Holden a year or so ago, was that you? If so, I was the gentleman with the Grabber Orange 69 GT500 fastback.

Bill S.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yoram, I am in Atlanta and may be a few weeks ahead of you in the process. I have had a great experience with Josh Robbins at Rocky Mountain Caterham so far. He has a 310r himself and gave me great perspective on questions I had.

I look forward to seeing what you do. And I'm happy to share my experience as I go along.

Very exciting!

Jimmy, thanks! this is incredible; all the info, leads and friendly responses in one day! So glad to hear of your good experience with Rocky Mountain dealership. I will sure follow up with them.

My preliminary thinking is a 270S or 310S with sport suspension and some R package options (brakes, limited slip diff, rear sway bar) and "track day" roll bar.

Not sure I see the net gain in the 310 over the 270 (comparing the performance figures), so open to feedback...

However, my biggest dilemma is whether to choose the standard or large chassis. I'd prefer the standard one but not sure my wife and I will be comfortable enough in it.

Need to find a standard size car within driving distance to just try it for size... The Daytona Beach dealer has none.

Since you are in the midst of the process, is the delivery direct from the UK to the destination of your choice and the dealer does all the customs release work?

Good luck in your process!

I met someone "pre-covid" at Cars & Coffee (Michelin Corp Headquarters off Pelham Rd) with a Holden a year or so ago, was that you? If so, I was the gentleman with the Grabber Orange 69 GT500 fastback.

Bill S.

No, wasn't me. I have not had the Holden out at C&C. Last "public" outing was a weekend at the Tail of the Dragon October a year ago with several of the SS Forum folks. Had i been there I sure would have remembered the orange GT500 fastback... not so sure about the gentleman... :D

As usual, Croc has summarized very clearly, making excellent points. I’ll throw in a recommendation for Josh Robbins of Rocky Mountain Caterham. I could not be more happy with support. Enjoy the search for your 7.

Happy New Year,

Jim

Jim, warm thanks to you as well. This also makes for two recommendations for Rocky Mountain Caterham. Will call them yet today or Monday.

Happy New Yearl!

-Yoram

I can assist there as well, as I've owned, built, rebuilt several 5.0L Ford powered Miatas. You want to read of one such adventure where we "found" the Greenville area, click HERE.

Neglected to applaud the great piece about buying and driving "cold turkey" the V8 Miata from FL to PA... great read!!

Is there anyone with a standard size Se7en within ~250 mile radius from Greenville SC who is willing to allow my wife and me to just try it for size (sitting still) in order to help us decide whether to order the standard size (my preference) or the large size chassis? We will wear masks and gloves....

Offering to compensate you for your trouble with a six pack of your choice and/or a spin (so long as not literally) in one of the following (you pick):

Holden SSV Redline (Chevy SS) 6spd, 2010 Boxster 6spd, '87 911 coupe, 2005 Volvo V70 5spd (not R; see if we get any comments to this one...)

Ok, will increase the radius and/or beer count if needed.

Thanks and cheers! :conehead:

2005 Volvo V70 5spd (not R; see if we get any comments to this one...)

If I was local, this would be the one I'd take you up on. Sincerely an owner of 2 Auto R's and an XC70 that's in the process of being 6spd R swapped....

If I was local, this would be the one I'd take you up on. Sincerely an owner of 2 Auto R's and an XC70 that's in the process of being 6spd R swapped....

Thanks!! Great to encounter Volvo heads even here. So you are essentially creating an R with a bit more ground clearance and a few more N-m?...

The V70 is our (and our dogs') serene and beloved "roadmaster".

Unfortunately sounds like you are really really not local, eh?... also prepared to drive to lower MI (have a place to stay) if that helps our cause...? :drool:

Thanks!! Great to encounter Volvo heads even here. So you are essentially creating an R with a bit more ground clearance and a few more N-m?...

The V70 is our (and our dogs') serene and beloved "roadmaster".

Unfortunately sounds like you are really really not local, eh?... also prepared to drive to lower MI (have a place to stay) if that helps our cause...? :drool:

It's lowered too, so not much ground clearance winning.

It's essentially an R without a few downsides like the 4c and the price. As well as stock wide "flares".

I've had the XC for 9 years. It served me well. Quite over 200k miles. It was time to do some motor work and I had a parts 6spd R sitting around so the swap only made sense. I already swapped most of the interior, sway bars, brakes, wheels, etc. With the motor swap I also swapped the speed sensitive steering but we shall see how it works (by default it should lock into the firmest setting in error mode, which I'm fine with. Stock harness doesn't have a pigtail to it, nor does ECU communicate to it). Otherwise the XC is just a perfect daily/tow vehicle. Planning to tow my Caterham with it without needing a truck.

As far as Caterham is concerned, I'm a bit too far away to be of use to ya. We can do pretty good estimate asking your body dimensions and preferences. S3 is TIGHT especially with Tillets. . I'm 5 7 and ~150 pounds. I have many friends that physically cannot fit.

volvoCapture.JPG

It's lowered too, so not much ground clearance winning.

It's essentially an R without a few downsides like the 4c and the price. As well as stock wide "flares".

I've had the XC for 9 years. It served me well. Quite over 200k miles. It was time to do some motor work and I had a parts 6spd R sitting around so the swap only made sense. I already swapped most of the interior, sway bars, brakes, wheels, etc. With the motor swap I also swapped the speed sensitive steering but we shall see how it works (by default it should lock into the firmest setting in error mode, which I'm fine with. Stock harness doesn't have a pigtail to it, nor does ECU communicate to it). Otherwise the XC is just a perfect daily/tow vehicle. Planning to tow my Caterham with it without needing a truck.

As far as Caterham is concerned, I'm a bit too far away to be of use to ya. We can do pretty good estimate asking your body dimensions and preferences. S3 is TIGHT especially with Tillets. . I'm 5 7 and ~150 pounds. I have many friends that physically cannot fit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18034[/ATTACH]

Kudos to your project! You're diving quite deep. How difficult is the conversion to manual trans?

I picked the base V70 (albeit 5spd) to minimize hassles and expenses as it is the "schlepping" car. Approaching 200K mi and the level of refinement and durability is still astonishing. I too am planning to use it to tow the Caterham with a lightweight trailer. But first need to get the car...

Speaking of, thanks for the offer to help with dimensions. Hoping still to be able to conduct a physical fitting, and from what you say sounds like we may need the large one...

Cheers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18035[/ATTACH]

sorry for the detour...

It's your thread, it goes wherever you want!

It's also only a minor detour as the Volvo/7 discussion is relevant to trailering it seems.

Manual/R swap is involving but I wouldn't say difficult per say. Hybrid axles due to it being an XC and having different geometry and control arm sizes than the R makes it more difficult. Would have been easier with regular V70.

Part of the reason for the swap is that I've towed stock upto about 2300 lbs. Enclosed steel 6x10 with 3 bikes and other equipment in it. It did it but I wasn't too confident in brakes and other things.

6spd will help counter the weak point that is the automatic transmission and R motor with more power never hurts. The Brembo brakes will be sufficient for stopping and I've added weight distribution hitch and 7pin trailer harness with brake control to help more. I'm shooting for comfort towing around 4000lbs which should be my aluminum enclosed with the 7 in it. It WILL NOT be as good as a truck but when I only need to tow a few times a year it shouldsuffice.

With that said dimensionally you have the right idea of trying to find out to test fit. It's quite necessary. Me and my wife are very small people and it's a tight fit for us. On the web tall and slanky people tend to make it happen (especially if they have somewhat small feet) by doing lowered floors, removable steering wheel, driving shoes etc. But if you're girthy there is little to help that other than different seats for starters. Chassis very narrow.

Here is my car towing the steel trailer and the trailer I'm planning to tow in future

volvCapture.JPG

trialerCapture.JPG

It's your thread, it goes wherever you want!

It's also only a minor detour as the Volvo/7 discussion is relevant to trailering it seems.

Manual/R swap is involving but I wouldn't say difficult per say. Hybrid axles due to it being an XC and having different geometry and control arm sizes than the R makes it more difficult. Would have been easier with regular V70.

Part of the reason for the swap is that I've towed stock upto about 2300 lbs. Enclosed steel 6x10 with 3 bikes and other equipment in it. It did it but I wasn't too confident in brakes and other things.

6spd will help counter the weak point that is the automatic transmission and R motor with more power never hurts. The Brembo brakes will be sufficient for stopping and I've added weight distribution hitch and 7pin trailer harness with brake control to help more. I'm shooting for comfort towing around 4000lbs which should be my aluminum enclosed with the 7 in it. It WILL NOT be as good as a truck but when I only need to tow a few times a year it shouldsuffice.

With that said dimensionally you have the right idea of trying to find out to test fit. It's quite necessary. Me and my wife are very small people and it's a tight fit for us. On the web tall and slanky people tend to make it happen (especially if they have somewhat small feet) by doing lowered floors, removable steering wheel, driving shoes etc. But if you're girthy there is little to help that other than different seats for starters. Chassis very narrow.

Here is my car towing the steel trailer and the trailer I'm planning to tow in future

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18037[/ATTACH]

Vovchandr, thanks for the great insights. I'm looking forward to revisiting the towing topic once I have the something to tow. In the meantime will hang tight to see if can do the physical "fitting".

Hello Yoram, I'm a little late, but want to welcome you to the forum. If you would like some comparison on the fit between the two cars you are more than welcome to come by and compare the fit of my SV? I'm located in Powdersville SC.

Regards

Hello Yoram, I'm a little late, but want to welcome you to the forum. If you would like some comparison on the fit between the two cars you are more than welcome to come by and compare the fit of my SV? I'm located in Powdersville SC.

Regards

Hi BlueMax, my turn to apologize for the delayed response; we spent all yesterday driving back from Western Michigan and today getting caught up and settled back into daily routine.

I would love to take you up on your offer. Will send a PM with the hope to set something up soon.

Thanks again!

-Yoram

• 2 weeks later...

Warm thanks to BlueMax and coffee break for letting my wife and me try their cars for size.

Last Sunday we tried BlueMax's SV and determined that we have a bit of room to spare.

Today we confirmed that we are able to get into, sit in side-by-side without fighting and (not pretty but doable) climb out of coffee break's S3.

So the two top decisions are done thanks to the excellent help from this forum: It will be a 310S S3.

I intend to place an order this week. Will post the specs.

Cheers!