Newbie here (Upstate SC)

Yoram

Great choice! I look forward to reading progress notes all the way thru the first drive.

And kudos to your wife for being such a good sport.

With practice, getting in and out will be much easier (unless the top is up....).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the choice! A side benefit of the S3 is the inspiration to not gain weight!

Yoruma nd Vovchandr - Very cool that you are into Volvo wagons. I have a 2009 XC70 (our third) with 150K on it and there is just no reasonable replacement available. It needs some relatively expensive things (accessory belt, xenon headlights that work but throw a fault code, and rear hatch struts, tires) that don't really make sense but how else could I spend a few thousand and get anything close to take me to the next 50K miles?

My wife has had one ride in my 1987 S3. The seller and I each had to grab an arm to help her out, so that was her first and only ride in it. She did enjoy it and approved of the purchase!

My wife sat in mine once, and that was enough:). But talk about good sport, she also supported (or didn't object) to me finally fulfilling my age 14-15 dream car fixation, at age 61 (and still going strong, for now at least, at age 74). Counting my first Cat, my Birkin, and now this current Cat, this is the longest I have owned any car (type).

Posted this on the current BAT auction a few days ago:

First time I took my wife for a ride in our first “7”, (found on a 4X6 note card on the bulletin board at Moss Motors in NJ) late 80’s, Kent powered, 2 webers, 4spd, solid axle, mid March in the NE, maybe in the high 40’s, low 50’s, RHD, slab seats, 4 point harnesses. We must have been out for at least an hour and a half. Got home, as we are getting out of the car, all of the stones we had to brush off each other, with smiles on our face, and laughter filling our small one car garage. I can still remember the first words out of her mouth “that was great, when are we going out again”….So many great memories, so many great adventures in that car and others over the years. Can’t wait to make many, many, more, either with this car, or another depending on how fate prevails.

Bill S.

PS: Now, granted, it's been a few years since I've owned a "7" (the last two being of the Birkin variety), I'm certain SWMBO will still enjoy the occasional outing in a "7" :D .

Hello All,

Enclosed is where I currently sit with the spec, with great inputs here and from Rocky Mountain Caterham (Josh and Ross).

I will be placing the order with RMC. Waiting for the current batch to fill up a bit (anyone else ready?).

Lead time is a big issue - RMC predicts about a year.

Anyone with a current order contemplating cancelling?...

Cheers!

YG 310S S3 Spec 25Jan21.jpg

Caterham 3-4 Front.jpg

P.S., many thanks to all of you with the encouraging notes! We are excited!!! My wife is actually (just about) as excited as I am.

We actually climbed out via the Immelmann maneuver (I had to due to injured elbow) -- rotate onto side and kneel on the seat facing backwards, then pull up by the roll bar...

Was not beautiful but I'm sure we can improve with practice and after elbow surgery...

Enclosed is evidence thanks to coffee break (we are smiling behind the masks!)

IMG_2762R.jpg

Good looking car and specs, can't wait to see it. You may want to add the full weather gear, or at least the top for those days where you get caught out 100 miles from home and the weather turns ugly.

Bill S.

Lotusfan, thank you and indeed...

Not to derail the thread too deep with Volvo wagons, but indeed there is nothing like them - even more so if you want a manual (ours is, and it's not an R).

Just bought and installed a replacement pair of non-xenon headlights for $360 (Taiwan made) that fit and work great (original lenses were pitted and opaque).

We are at 195K miles, coming up on timing belt (incl. accessory belt and maybe water pump), but these and tires are standard costs of mileage.

We are "commuting" in the Volvo 4-5 times a year between SC and western MI, fully loaded, almost always with a Yakima roof "rocket box", sometimes with trailer, >820 miles each way, and are impressed every time by the stability, smoothness and quiet. The car tracks so precisely and effortlessly and the ride and the seats are so good that it makes these trips easy.

Good looking car and specs, can't wait to see it. You may want to add the full weather gear, or at least the top for those days where you get caught out 100 miles from home and the weather turns ugly.

Bill S.

Thanks! Yes, as Mark IV pointed out, it does come with removable soft top and doors (and heater).

So what about yours??

Yoram,

Congrats on your choice - Sounds great. I have no actual experience, but the UK based Lotus Seven Club forum is filled up with posts on the virtue of half hoods from Soft Bits for Sevens and Oxted. These can be had with zips overhead which makes getting in and out with them on easier. Getting in and out with the full hood on is comical for just about anyone who isn't a 100 lb gymnast. My guess is that they know a bit about rain in the UK, so this might be something to think about, perhaps deleting the full hood.

Back to Volvo wagons for a min - did you replace xenons with the non-xenons? I'd love to do that so that I could get back use of my clock, miles to empty, etc which are all covered by the headlight failure warning thrown by my xenons which light but don't steer any longer.

Yoram,

Congrats on your choice - Sounds great. I have no actual experience, but the UK based Lotus Seven Club forum is filled up with posts on the virtue of half hoods from Soft Bits for Sevens and Oxted. These can be had with zips overhead which makes getting in and out with them on easier. Getting in and out with the full hood on is comical for just about anyone who isn't a 100 lb gymnast. My guess is that they know a bit about rain in the UK, so this might be something to think about, perhaps deleting the full hood.

Back to Volvo wagons for a min - did you replace xenons with the non-xenons? I'd love to do that so that I could get back use of my clock, miles to empty, etc which are all covered by the headlight failure warning thrown by my xenons which light but don't steer any longer.

Thanks for the tip re half hood! Being in SC we were not even thinking of using a top except against for some shade on hot summer days. Will look closer into it once there is a Seven...

Re Volvo, ours is a 2005 (P2 platform). I believe yours is P3. Anyhow, no, our headlights were plain halogen, replaced with same. The AM replacements came with all bulbs installed!

It's weird how Volvo combines control modules for unrelated things (e.g., sunroof and alarm system in ours...).

Thanks for the tip re half hood! Being in SC we were not even thinking of using a top except against for some shade on hot summer days. Will look closer into it once there is a Seven...

Re Volvo, ours is a 2005 (P2 platform). I believe yours is P3. Anyhow, no, our headlights were plain halogen, replaced with same. The AM replacements came with all bulbs installed!

It's weird how Volvo combines control modules for unrelated things (e.g., sunroof and alarm system in ours...).

Half hood has its uses, but if you're not planning on having the windshield on then it's rather useless.

Mine goes on when it's too cold for aero or I want a "different look" for photos etc.

I was pleased to see that mine even made it to the SoftBits Instagram!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHFeGoYlYqS/

On the Volvo front... I see your P2 Alarm batteries have also failed causing the sunroof not to work at some point..

It's amazing how some Volvo problems are so expected and predictable they make British cars seem reliable. With that said, once a few known problems/annoyances are sorted they are great cars/platform.

Half hood has its uses, but if you're not planning on having the windshield on then it's rather useless.

Mine goes on when it's too cold for aero or I want a "different look" for photos etc.

I was pleased to see that mine even made it to the SoftBits Instagram!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHFeGoYlYqS/

On the Volvo front... I see your P2 Alarm batteries have also failed causing the sunroof not to work at some point..

It's amazing how some Volvo problems are so expected and predictable they make British cars seem reliable. With that said, once a few known problems/annoyances are sorted they are great cars/platform.

Re Seven: I do not intend to order the aero screen. My windshield at least initially will always stay on. The base S-Pack comes with removable top and doors.

Beautiful car!!! Custom painted wheels?

Re Volvo: I consider ours very reliable. By far the lowest total cost of ownership of any car we've owned for decades. It is our workhorse, schlepping dogs, home and garden project stuff, and our long distance cruiser, so if the sunroof does not work or there are some scratches we don't fret. It is great to have a "carefree" car you park anywhere and don't worry about door dings, yet is still tight and refined and full of character.

Cheers!

For a number of years I attended a MINI Copper event at the Tail of the Dragon. At some point I need to take my 7 down there. All the roads in that area are really fun, but the Dragon is about as close to driving on a track as you can get. 318 turns in 11 miles

!!! I was going to suggest the same thing!! ... but don't have my Seven yet... :-((

Ran it in my '87 911 and in my Holden (Chevy SS), and it is a blast -- so long as you get on it early in the morning, before the Harleys and sightseers....

Also need to wait till spring...

Found the enclosed pic and video on the net.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18153&stc=1

21222-tail-o-t-Dragon-w-Automobile-mag.jpg