Helmet Features, Good and Bad

Pokey

I've got a lifetime of experience with motorcycle helmets, but have never purchased a helmet for use with a car so could use some wisdom:

1. All carbon fiber versus a composite? I don't skimp when it comes to helmets, but I also don't like giving my money away. Is getting hit in the head with road debris something that happens in a Caterham?

2. Duckbill? Do I really need to be concerned about helmet lift?

3. Ventilation ports. My head gets hot so I typically need plenty of ventilation, but here in the Pacific Northwest we occasionally get rain so I'm mindful that exhaust ports are designed not to allow water to just drip in on my noggin. I can't imagine I'll be on the track in any significant amount of moisture so am thinking that I needn't be concerned about having a wet head. Am I deluding myself - should anyone with an open top car have exhaust ports covered? Should the ventilation ports be adjustable given airflow in a Caterham is plentiful?

Love to hear what has worked and not worked for you!

Just bought my Third helmet. Splurged on the Bell Dominator in 2000, then economized slightly with the Bell GP2, and splurged again this time with the 2020 Bell GP3 Carbon. All had duckbills, all had air ports, all pretty light. The new helmet seems a little lighter, but maybe it's just my imagination.

The way I figure, they have a ten year life for casual track use. So the Bell Carbon is $999.95 vs the non carbon, which is $599.95, so roughly $400 difference over ten years. $40 a year more. Might as well look good. You can't take it with you.

:seeya: Tom

PS, yes you will get hit in the head with rocks, and other debris especially if you happen to end up behind Kitcat on track. :rofl:

Edited by yellowss7

Tom

what is your experience regarding head positioning?

I currently have an M-spec helmet which worked well with the Birkin fiberglass sport seats (with head rest pad removed). Last year I squeezed a Tillett B6 40cm seat into my car. I love this seat as it is comfortable & holds me tightly in place, preventing lateral body movement. However I find my helmet how pushes my head/neck forward uncomfortably. For driving last year I used a piece of 1/2" foam behind my back to allow more space behind my head.

Once the thermostat is above above 40F° and the road salt is washed away I plan to upgrade with a new SA-spec helmet. Do you think the switch from M to SA helmet will correct the 'back of head' space issue, or are there particular brand/models you have found work well for our cars with regards to head comfort?

cheers

P.

First thing I will say is not all helmets fit all heads. Depending on shape a different brand may fit you better. For example I prefer Stilo and Arai helmets. Much more comfortable for me than a Bell. However, Tom above prefers the Bell as they just fit him. So try different brands.

If you are using the aeroscreen then you want a helmet - mandatory on track and essential on road. Debris gets kicked up, rocks, bits of rubber, left over tools, you name it. If using windscreen then I would not bother.

Get the metal posts installed for Hans or Simpson or some other brandhead/neck restraints - cheaper and easier to do it up front now in case you change down the track.

Aero devices? I tried the add on "roof" spolier and add on duck bill spoiler once on a Bell helmet and found it buffetted my head around. Hated it. I run helmets without aero and am comfortable. Not much help here. If in doubt dont.

Dripping vents? Never had that one in my driving life and I have done many shockingly wet days in many Caterhams over the years in Bell, Stilo and Arai helmets. In the photos below the only thing that was dry was my hair!

DKNgwUg.jpg

KzbJIUd.jpg

However I find my helmet how pushes my head/neck forward uncomfortably. For driving last year I used a piece of 1/2" foam behind my back to allow more space behind my head.

Hi Paul - Standard issue problem with Tillets and Caterham seats. Helmet shape unlikely to fix but the usual trick people try is get set the front of the seat up higher using washers or some other type of spacer and longer front bolts. This tilts the whole seat back to improve neck angle.

Helmets are all about fit, some brands just fit you noggin more comfortably. I am using a Bell M3 (no longer made) but it's expiring, so I a looking for a new one. I will probably just go with the M8 just because there is a good chance of it fitting well. I tend not to go for the high end brands were a large percentage of the money goes to high end sponsored drivers/riders. They all pass the same standard, it's a pass/fail test so I am not sure more money gets you more safety. So go with the most comfortable fit.

Graham

Paul, on my yellow car I had the same issue as you with the standard Caterham headrest. I pulled it out and installed the roll bar mounted head brace to which I added a couple of pieces of roll bar padding split to get the right thickness for my head position.

On my Orange car that I bought from Karl., he had replaced the standard Caterham Tillet on the driver side with a different Tillet branded model which has a slightly lower head back and as Croc stated it, it is tilted rearward a bit.

Tom.

I just noticed that some organization are still allowing the SA2010 helmet for this year. From the Autointerest site

"I certify that I have a SA2010 or newer rated helmet (SA ONLY!)"

Just looked and MVP Tracktime is doing the same.

Edited by fastg
More info

Thanks for all of the input. To answer the questions, I have an aeroscreen for track use and plan on using a Hans restraint. I have an oval head, and over the years have gravitated toward Arai's motorcycle helmets. Arai doesn't seem to be as mainstream in the auto-racing world so I'm eyeballing Stilo as it seems to have a reputation for fitting oval shaped heads. I've started wearing eyeglasses recently so that is going to add a new dimension as I shop for fit.

Shopping for a helmet is second only to shopping for shoes as my all-time least favorite past time. An oval head rules out most helmets, and pizza-slice shaped feet make shoes even harder to find.

Thanks John. I plan on calling them this week as their website seems terribly out of date. They list only SA2015 helmets, and some are listed as "coming soon." And they don't seem to carry Stilo, although Joe's Racing appears to.

I haven't started to look into local race or trackday orgs for the 7 as yet, but do the trackdays typically require car specific helmets? I love my Shoei's for the 2 wheelers on the track or street. Our requirement is Snell that is 5 years old max (well, with a grace year... so 6 max). They have proved their worth more than once!

Typical car requiremnts?

None of my motorcycle helmets are approved for auto use, although I do have one that is E3 (ECE) that I think may be okay for some club events if memory serves. I'm shopping for a helmet with the latest Snell and FIA certifications (SA2020/FIA8859-2015).

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/pages/understanding-helmet-standards-homologations-295

If you like arai- stick with them. My last 2 helmets have been Arai GP5S (now changed to the 6S) Lightweight and with good aero. Have never really seen the need for aero add ons in the Caterham even with an aeroscreen. I'm 5'7" so if you're considerably taller- you might get some more buffeting, otherwise the aeroscreen does a good job of pushing the air up over head.

Jim