Big head fasteners

CarlB

Can't find who I ordered them from but somewhere in UK.

Personal advice, order more than you need. They get lost or broken with time.

I just realized I had 3 that failed on the last track day (fatigue/vibration)

Just hope I have enough in stock now without having to order more.

• 1 month later...

I have a new pair of cycle fenders I am waiting on warmer weather to install and looking for a cleaner installation than through bolting as done on the previous pair. I would also like them to be removable so no direct gluing to wing stays. I have seen the fathead adhesive studs but I don't think this would allow them to be removable since the wing stays are oriented nearly 90 degrees apart, likewise the stud direction would be the 90 degrees apart as well. The adhesive mounted nuts seem like a good option, wondering if you have experienced the bolts loosing and falling out since they aren't lock nuts or just remedy that with some loc-tite?  I was considering making and gluing in some brackets out of AL angle with slits and use metal ties/hose clams to fix to the wing stays as another option. Anyone else know of a better option?

12 hours ago, DatsunRBZ said:

I have a new pair of cycle fenders I am waiting on warmer weather to install and looking for a cleaner installation than through bolting as done on the previous pair. I would also like them to be removable so no direct gluing to wing stays. I have seen the fathead adhesive studs but I don't think this would allow them to be removable since the wing stays are oriented nearly 90 degrees apart, likewise the stud direction would be the 90 degrees apart as well. The adhesive mounted nuts seem like a good option, wondering if you have experienced the bolts loosing and falling out since they aren't lock nuts or just remedy that with some loc-tite?  I was considering making and gluing in some brackets out of AL angle with slits and use metal ties/hose clams to fix to the wing stays as another option. Anyone else know of a better option?

I use the adhesive mount nuts. If you use some threadlocker, they won’t vibrate out. If you don’t use the threadlocker, they will eventually start to back out over time.

with that said, if I had to do it over again, I’d probably drill the wings. I have a set of aluminum wings I bought from Batho Sports Cars in England. I didn’t want to drill them, so I went with the nuts glued to the underside. I used Loctite Ultimate Power Grab to secure the nuts. 

I have a set of fiberglass wings that I put the adhesive mount studs onto, and it’s quite difficult to get all 4 studs into the holes on the wing stays all at the same time. That’s the reason I went with the nuts the 2nd time around. 

Edited by hollywood2311

Thanks for the thread to the past conversation on this topic, I couldn't get the link to work before. I had looked into east coast fiberglass but it seems they don't ship to the US based on their website. However, it did give me the right combination of descriptive words to use in my search and I think I found a very similar product through McMaster Carr. I think this is going to be the route I go.

https://www.mcmaster.com/cable-tie-fasteners/stainless-steel-cable-tie-mounts/

it's been a few years.

When i placed my order with East Coast fiberglass the lady said they couldn't ship (assuming hazardous resins). once she saw my order was just for  hardware it was no problem.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:20 PM, wemtd said:

I purchased from east coast fiberglass in The UK

On 3/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, wemtd said:

it's been a few years.

When i placed my order with East Coast fiberglass the lady said they couldn't ship (assuming hazardous resins). once she saw my order was just for  hardware it was no problem.

Just talked to East Coast. They no longer ship to US due to Brexit and pandemic.

Unfortunate as I've used them before as well.