Hello Super Seven people!

K-Clive

Hi ALL,

I just got back into Super Sevens due to a motorcycle allergy (sport bikes in Canada are/were stupid expensive to insure)

I have a 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa and I found a bunch of Seven cars running the engine, turbo engine etc.

Last spring my insurance dropped from $2400/yr to $650 - I like my bike again.

I am getting old so, one day, I will be looking for a Seven to Hayabusa LHD for Canada or RHD for Australia (Long story)

My Dad (RIP)was a car builder/engineer/architect and he really liked the Seven and Caterham cars.

I enclosed PICs of his post-war England Riley c/w hand bashed body - how they bought a car back then with no money - make it yourself.

Then I found the LS 480hp Stalkers... I'm going straight to hell!

Cheers

Clive in Canada

Bill-Riley.jpg

Bill-Riley1.jpg

Great photos!  The LS-powered stalker is just a bit different than a Hayabusa-powered se7en, and yes, rumor has it that they are capable of sending a driver straight to hell.  Westfield made the MegaBusa for many years, but only a handful made it to North America.  There was (is?) a Caterham dealer on Vancouver Island who specialized in Hayabusa-powered Caterhams, so those are more plentiful north of the border.  Do you have a timeframe in mind for when you want to transition to 4 wheels?

-John

Hi Clive - welcome to USA7s!  You are not the first who has migrated to the dark side and enjoyed 4 wheels

2 hours ago, K-Clive said:

Then I found the LS 480hp Stalkers... I'm going straight to hell!

Actually, one of our USA7s members was aiming at heaven when he reached low-altitude orbit in his LS V8 Stalker - luckily for him and us, he did not make it.  He survived in better shape than the car but it still lives!   They are fearsomely quick cars.  

Hi Guys,

I was really impressed with the Stalkers after seeing the pricing on new Caterhams.

We had a dealer right here in Pickering ONT but, the owner/operator left that business to be pit boss for his son's

motorcycle racing team.

I talked to the BC folks about the Hayabusa Canadian cars but, the main man has retired and I did not get any further.

I am no longer in any kind of hurry to do either a Hayabusa based or LS3 based car...

we have been upside-down around here with the plague and trying to get vaccines so we can travel.

I may end up in OZ living on a boat and needing a RHD car.

We really hate the winter here in Ontario - have a grandson/daughter/son-in-law in OZ

Cheers Clive

Where in Oz are they located?  Ex-Sydney here.  My family is still there.  I cannot travel there at the moment as I have no desire to spend 2 weeks of quarantine in a ex-illegal immigrant prison cell with no wifi or some sketchy hotel.

The "clubbie" scene in Oz is very biased towards owner built, i.e. Locost.  Caterhams are ridiculously expense, equivalent to US$150,000 for a middle of the line model.  Westfields and Birkins seems to do a lot better.   Westfield used to have the Hayabusa but...not sure if you can get them registered on Oz?  Different states have different engineering approval rules.  For example, it is no longer possible to get a clubbie through the NSW regs to an on-road state.  But other states are different and better at accommodating clubbies.  Rules for purchasing used vary by state.  The Ozclubbies forum is the Australian version of USA7s.  The guys really know their stuff but some get a little rough which you just have let wash over you.  

Croc,

My daughter's family are in Melbourne

We usually go to Gold Coast after visiting down there - Coolangatta has been our stomping ground

for the last five years.

Canadian 7 

Not far at all...

Superformance S1 sounds lovely and factory built?

Hoping to get into it in the near future

Need to get some normal and travel back in the plans

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Cheers

Hi Clive

I still own a property in Melbourne CBD and the Gold Coast was the family holiday destination growing up.  Dad would throw us in the back of the car and drive north for the beaches varying between Coolangatta, Mermaid, Nobby's, Broadbeach and Main Beach depending which apartment they rented.  Great memories.

All of us on USA7s would be happy to help you spend your money on a se7en.  We are quite good at it!  :classic_biggrin:

cheers

mike

Hahaha! Small World!

Like I need help spending money, if you know of a way I can make money with Se7ens please feel free to enlighten...

I have a problem: Wheels, Wings and Engines... now you have my attention!

Where is your place in Melbourne?

We have stayed in St Kilda quite a lot, by the Marina and our daughter is in Mooroolbark at the moment.

It is a very active hang gliding scene in the Melbourne Bay area - I spend a lot of time floating in good weather

These pics were:

Last winter in Portsea hang Gliding on the peninsula

Blue Tiger in Coolangatta on Kirra Beach

BMW K1200RS ( ILSA She-wolf of the SS)

The funny looking Bugeye Scorpion is a Grinnall S3 my buddy and I built out of ILSA - the first bike-engined car in our family.

It was refinished in the darker grey colour after an unfortunate smelting incident...

GSX1300R because my bike became a car

KTM 250 XCF-W winter hobby this year - dirt biking on ice, here in the swamp.

Until the snow got too deep - the Super Cub - my buddy and I started a flying club after spending years building airplanes

Last airplane build was this 1942 Stearman 680ci Lycoming 9-cyl radial 

We are waiting patiently to get back on an airplane and go visit our grandson - we have more relatives in OZ than in Canada.

Intending to buy a boat and float around for about 10 years until I'm too old for that life.

Much rather do that in OZ than in Canada... we like the warm weather.

Ocky.jpg

Blue.jpg

ILSA.jpg

Grinnall#1.jpg

IMG_0628.JPG

Tracked.JPG

20201227_152830.jpg

CherryPieSnow.jpg

MissDeLish.jpg

Great pics, and hobbies! Yes the Superformance was factory built less engine and tranny. Most installed the recommended Ford 2.0l Zetec. Only about 4 of them in Canada. Waited 10 years to be able to import one (15 year old exemption rule in Canada) I just bought a Polaris Slingshot last September so only got to drive it a couple times before winter hit - looking forward to it this summer. Probably selling my Harley because of the high bike insurance that you mentioned - unless you have a connection for a discount? Lol. Ron.

G'day Clive, I'm on the other side of Oz, where the weather is even more on the warm side.

Ozclubbies is a good site but sometimes people get a bit wound up. So much useful information though.

A number of us from our Club here in Perth went to the national meeting of clubbies when it was held in Adelaide. We hired a truck to take our cars across. All pre-COVID, of course.

Hey Ron!

I ended up a Mitchell & Whale for "black list" motorcycles - they were able to get insurance through AVIVA @ $2400/yr

The next year it was complaint time about the rate and they managed to squeak it down to $1900/yr with AVIVA.

Then the week we were going to go ahead with renewal June 2020 - they called to say ECONOMICAL had jumped in and where in the

process of offering all us old guys with crazy fast bikes a decent deal - my rate, for simple liability, nothing much else became $675/yr.

https://mitchellwhale.com

Contact was: Lyndsey Dewdney - ldewdney@mitchellwhale.com

About the same price as a year plate and REGO that you get in OZ - they have government provided liability along with the plate each year.

They also don't require the 3x docs that I travel with in Canada - Licence, Ownership, Insurance - you need your licence and the plate tells them the rest.

They also don't have a $5000 fine for no insurance - you have insurance if you have a valid plate. 

I have a Suzuki SV1000 in Melbourne at my daughter's place right now... first venture into a v-twin bike. It is not as cool as the BUSA.

G'day Geoffoz,

Thanks for the info, I will check into it ASAP.

I have not ventured to the left/port side of OZ - I am told it is very beautiful.

Cheers ALL!

Clive

On 3/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, K-Clive said:

Where is your place in Melbourne?

We have stayed in St Kilda quite a lot, by the Marina and our daughter is in Mooroolbark at the moment.

It is a very active hang gliding scene in the Melbourne Bay area - I spend a lot of time floating in good weather

Hi Clive - My place there is on Bourke Street down towards Spencer street station.  I know where Mooroolbark is!  Been to the miniature railroad there.  

On 3/14/2021 at 10:31 AM, Geoffoz said:

G'day Clive, I'm on the other side of Oz, where the weather is even more on the warm side.

Ozclubbies is a good site but sometimes people get a bit wound up. So much useful information though.

A number of us from our Club here in Perth went to the national meeting of clubbies when it was held in Adelaide. We hired a truck to take our cars across. All pre-COVID, of course.

Welcome to USA7s @Geoffoz   OzClubbies club members deserve huge credit for their efforts in traveling long distances to the National Meetings.   You are in a great part of the world too.   I always liked Perth and WA as the politicians knew their place unlike the eastern ones.  

Cheers

mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, Croc said:

the politicians knew their place

Haha! Don't know if you saw the results of the last state election here in WA? Massive landslide win to the incumbents.

Thanks for the welcome, Mike.

The local club here in Perth is The Sports Car Builders Club, with about 50 members. We can have face-to-face meetings given the luxury of living in WA.