Croc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just two weeks away from the Saturday arrival for our Se7ens event.  Get those last minute details done or for those of you who are ready it’s time to polish.:918766748_biggrinjester(1):

Looking forward to a fun couple of days.  Bartman, you should drive up an take a look at my Sadev, and paddleshift set up.  

See you all soon.  Tom

I'm ready!  Errrrrr.....not!    Engine and gearbox came out yesterday.  New gearbox to go in.    

And a well earned call out to @BruceBe for deciding to corner the market in Caterham 6 speed gearboxes just at the point when I needed one.  Thank you Bruce!  :seeya:

Unfortunately I'm out for next weekend.

I started my Caterham up this morning to put a few more easy miles on the new engine prior to next weekend. Pulling out of the garage I heard a funny rattle and saw zero oil pressure. I shut it down immediately. It left a big stripe of oil leaving my garage. Looks like the three stage oil pump for the dry sump failed somehow. There's oil all over it. I only had about 15 miles on the new engine so far. My crew chief is picking the car up Monday.

I'm so very bummed :classic_sad:

John I’m sorry to hear that.  I too was looking forward to dragging down the straights with you.   But on a positive note, I get one more year of horsepower bragging rights until you and Croc duke it out fro the crown next year.  Maybe you can just swap it out with one of your formula Atlantic motors?   Tom.  

After a long hibernation, my Caterham is back running.  So……I’m now a possible.

My belts are fine, but primary issue is a new helmet, which I’m working on.  

Need an oil change and brake bleed, but those are scheduled for tonight or tomorrow.  And I have to accept that it wouldn’t get a fresh polish before the event.

Steve

Edited by bball7754

Steve, they sell helmets at the track and had a decent selection last time I checked.  I don’t know if they still rent them as they did before COVID.   We can check.   Croc has power in his garage so you can plug in and polish all night. :classic_cool:

you are shaming me into at least  getting out the rubber removing spray to clean up my car.      Hope to see you.  I’ll buy your first beer on Saturday.   Tom. 

Edited by yellowss7

Good news!!!

Evaluation of my oil problem revealed that it just blew the seal out of the oil filter. I think I caught it in time. It only ran at idle for a few seconds without oil pressure. 

A mechanical gauge showed pressure climbing with rpm, but not stopping. It was making 120 psi at 3,000 and going higher. The pressure relief valve was likely stuck closed. 

Should be an easy fix and I'll probably still be coming Sunday am. :classic_biggrin:

Well, it’s almost here.   I’m assuming that bball and kitcat are packing up and getting ready to get on the road soon, to arrive on Saturday afternoon.  Others will opt to get there early Sunday morning.    For those of you coming in on Saturday,  when you get to the gate tell them you are meeting Mike Johnson at exotic car garage  #367.   Or that you are heading to the Finish  Line Pub.  
 There is a Riders Club ( motorcycle) event on Thunderbolt on Saturday and we can’t drop trailers or cars until they finish around 6:30-7:00pm.  

Croc and I will be at his garage late morning.  So we will hangout there until we can get on TBolt before we go to dinner at the Pub on Saturday evening.    

Dinner is casual, and we will try to get tables outside by the pool.  

Vlad,  you can show up on Sunday morning and register.   Croc and I were talking today and thought that if you were still struggling, and wanted to come down anyway as you have a room, that TJ and Ian who are mechanics at the track, might be able to help sort you out as they have experience with Caterhams, Having worked on mine, Crocs and Jeff’s.    Or you can register on Monday morning if your car wasn’t running on Saturday.   

if you came down on Saturday you might get lucky and have them look at it then if they have time.  

Edited by yellowss7

Tom: are you spying on me:)? Yes the trailer is being (slowly) loaded. So many little nit-picky things to get in order! Not sure when I will get there Saturday, hopefully before dinner at the  Pub-place! What time do you predict for that?

If I don’t  make it,  I am staying at the charitably  named “VIP Suites” on the track, as usual. If nothing else, they are convenient! So I will join the fray Sunday a.m., at the latest.

Edited by Kitcat