Spring has finally sprung

Anker

I got my Brookland screens and a convex rear view mirror fitted and took SUPER 7 our for a short blat, including highway driving up to 90 MPH to see how tolerable/intolerable it would be. Pleasantly surprised!

I made the mistake of driving through a puddle as I pulled off the road.

IMG-0551.thumb.jpg.5e6afb705bcbeef1c707c9c53877c9e6.jpg

2 hours ago, Djplaster said:

Looks great. Is the car registered in Massachusetts? If so I didn't think that would pass inspection.

I put the wind screen on for inspection! :classic_biggrin:

5 hours ago, Djplaster said:

That and the front license plate!

Yes, forgot to mention that. The front license plate lives in the "trunk" with a set of tie wraps. "Officer, the plate just fell off and I have it right here ready to put on again!"

Looks great! I love Brooklands screens and very nearly bought some to put on my car.

I got a reality check, though weeks before pulling the trigger in the form of a deer at 70mph on I-69 in Fishers, IN.

Not a shred of doubt in my mind that the windscreen, as dinky as it is, saved my life.

image.png.f754600e617fce9ea3193c94213d0e44.png

image.png.dfc94b1884a93efb5d635a465669a94f.png

Not trying to be a buzzkill. Obviously, anyone driving a Seven is expressly accepting some additional risk compared with driving a Camry. But always keep in mind that the extra exposure that gives the thrill is more than just a sensation.

Dave

Ouch!

My primary use of the Brooklands is going to at autocrosses where I like the reduced wind resistance. We AX on a former military airfield and our courses are long and fast, officially maxed out at 60 mph, but on my Boxster S I have managed to hit the rev limiter in 2nd, which happens at over 70 mph.

On any longer trip the windscreen and side screens go on. It takes just 10-15 minutes to reconfigure the car.

I am amazed that your windscreen didn't collapse into your lap. The four bolts that hold the stanchions are only help by the skin. I can see that is has been puched back some!

Yes re putting regular windscreen on for MA inspection. However I did pass inspection 2 years ago with the Brooklands on. All depends on the particular garage you go to. One garage told me "I think it's a motorcycle" and wouldn't inspect it. Really.

Anker I use these over my regular glasses. Fit great:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RSM598/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by BlueBDA

9 hours ago, Anker said:

Ouch!

My primary use of the Brooklands is going to at autocrosses where I like the reduced wind resistance. We AX on a former military airfield and our courses are long and fast, officially maxed out at 60 mph, but on my Boxster S I have managed to hit the rev limiter in 2nd, which happens at over 70 mph.

On any longer trip the windscreen and side screens go on. It takes just 10-15 minutes to reconfigure the car.

I am amazed that your windscreen didn't collapse into your lap. The four bolts that hold the stanchions are only help by the skin. I can see that is has been puched back some!

That's the way to do it. You're smarter than me. While I'd entertained the lack of protection for road use, it wasn't until I had that accident that it really crystalized for me.

I was amazed that the windscreen held up as well as it did, too. I don't think it bore the full brunt of the entire animal, but rather the head/neck. I think the deer basically ran into the side of the car (or tried to jump over and tripped) leaving the chunk out of the wing, and then rolled down along the side of the car.

Having said that, the damage was more severe than is obvious. Bent the trailing arm and the chassis tube that picks it up; bent the radiused tube next to the cockpit; broke the trailing arm mount on the axle; reskin of the whole left side of the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to put Brooklands on my 1982 Caterham (I had some on it 20 years ago), and wondered whether I could get it stickered twice - one with the full windscreen, the other with the Brooklands. By the way, Anker, I'm in Sudbury...

3 hours ago, aidanparte said:

I would love to put Brooklands on my 1982 Caterham (I had some on it 20 years ago), and wondered whether I could get it stickered twice - one with the full windscreen, the other with the Brooklands. By the way, Anker, I'm in Sudbury...

Hey Aidan,

I asked my inspection station. They said that the second sticker invalidates the first one. And you can only get one sticker per inspection. They also told me that the cops can see whether your car has been inspected when they run your plates.

My experience is also that the cops treat Sevens much like motorcycles, very leniently.

I'm in Stow, so very close!

Abjer

1 hour ago, BlueBDA said:

One option is to get inspected with the windscreen, then take a picture of the sticker to have that evidence with you when driving with the Brooklands.

Never thought of that, Thanks!